The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Wingless Fruit Flies

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

Wingless Fruit Flies Empty
PostSubject: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/2/2012, 1:56 am

I have been feeding a brood of baby C. vits (striped bark scorps) wingless fruit flies. I have them in a large Critter Keeper. I tried putting a thick smear of Vasoline around the inside top of the cage but the little flies just walked over it like it was nothing. Then I tried a layer of double sticky side Scotch tape around the top thinking they surely can't walk over that -- they can.

I solved the problem of the fruit flies crawling out of the Critter Keeper by putting a sheet of paper towels over the top of the clear plastic bottom part of the cage and closing the lid over the paper towels. This seems to be keeping the little flies in the cage.
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/2/2012, 8:46 am

Cool Very Happy you can also feed cricket parts too since it has a lot more nutrition than fruit flies Very Happy
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/2/2012, 11:46 am

Good idea. I'll do both.

Also, I should have called this thread "Flightless Fruit Flies." I think they do have wings but they don't fly.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/2/2012, 1:57 pm

You can also give roaches that have been cut up into smaller pieces. My smaller scorpion slings eat pieces of turkistan roaches readily.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/2/2012, 2:59 pm

I find it interesting that slings will eat pieces of prey. That would seem to prove that they can "smell" prey in addition to sense movement.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/2/2012, 4:45 pm

I think its also "touch" based because they will jump back when they touch the roach parts and then they become interested in the food and will approach the food item again and "feel" it and then find the appropriate spot to start eating but this is only what I have observed.
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/3/2012, 12:26 am

Interesting. Maybe their little hairs react to the insect guts. I wonder how often a grown scorp will scavange dead prey?
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/3/2012, 5:14 am

That question Im not so sure of but I do sometimes head crush roaches for my communal setups and I would say that about 70% of them get eaten.
Here are a few slings eating the back piece of a B.lateralis nymph.

Wingless Fruit Flies DSCF6589
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/3/2012, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the info, definately good to know!
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty12/19/2012, 4:08 pm

I was just at a local pet store and found out that there are different species of flightless fruit flies available for feeders. Some are much larger than others. When feeding scorplings fruit flies it may pay to choose the correct size fly.
Back to top Go down
boxerjoy
Pandinus
boxerjoy

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty7/29/2013, 11:46 am

Wingless Drosophila Melanogaster fruit flies have a shorter life cycle than D. Hydei, but are far more prolific. This is the smallest species of fruit fly we carry (1/16"), making them perfect for many species of fish, reptiles, birds, insects and amphibians.

Flightless Drosophila Hydei fruit flies have a longer life cycle, and will produce flies for up to 28 days. This is the largest species of fruit fly we carry (1/8"), making them perfect for many species of fish, reptiles and birds.

Information from http://snailtail.com/index.html
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wingless Fruit Flies   Wingless Fruit Flies Empty

Back to top Go down

Wingless Fruit Flies
Page 1 of 1