The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Fruit Flys.

Go down 
+4
anemiaffx
the lycan mikey
*~BEX~*
SCORPIOWNED
8 posters
AuthorMessage
SCORPIOWNED
Pandinus
SCORPIOWNED

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-22

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/22/2010, 3:12 pm

So I have these little fruit fly looking things in with my P. imp that I obviously didn't put in there and there nowhere else in my house. Is this a bad thing? I can't find anything online about it.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/22/2010, 4:12 pm

Ive found them in mine too was about to ask about it...also seem to have these really small white bugs all crawling in the substrate kinda look like realy small lice Sad only just found them.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/22/2010, 8:34 pm

it sounds like both of you might wanna change the substrate...

id wait for another opinion, but if it was me, id clear it all out and clean everything
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 2:07 am

Aw man!! Only had it like a few weeks lol oh well best get some more then.... Hahaha I now have a good excuse to dig them out of there burrow though..... How do I stop it juat
happening again??
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 2:29 am

Dont let lots of crickets wander around in the cage. They will die and bring in other bugs such as mites and so forth. Mites are bad bad bad but spring tails are not nearly as bad.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 2:34 am

Is there any pics of mites anywhere so I could compare??? They do look like small lice which I guess are the same as mites Sad
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 5:57 am

Those fruit flies will appear around food/decaying food. If you want to see less of them, clear out any leftovers from your enclosure.

If you see little white things moving around, they aren't necessarily bad. They could be baby crickets or springtails (reported from others). Heck, they can even be beneficial predatory mites. However, if they're around the joints of your scorpions, then they are parasitic mites and are bad for them. If you should find them to be mites and bad mites at that, let us know and I will offer solutions.

No need to jump to dumping all the substrate--gotta find out if there is even a problem Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 6:20 am

well we have never left food in the viv its always been eaten within the same few hours of being put in ( oh actually i lie...on one occasion a locust was still there the following morning so we removed it) but apart from that i have only ever found 1 head and a leg as left overs only had the scorps about 3 weeks too... cant really check the scorps as they never leave the burrow lol....i wont worry too much will see what they turn into lol ..... i have just found a fruit fly on my kitchen wall so maybe it is them off our fruit ...managed to find there way into the viv?? i have no idea...im a noob Smile
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 5:40 pm

Fruit flies will magically appear wherever there's an available food source, preferably fruit. I'm sure your scorpions are fine, though. Are both of them under the substrate?
Anyways, fruit flies are really annoying and they come and go as the please!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 6:03 pm

Yeah they are both in the same burrow, one was poking out earlier
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/23/2010, 10:37 pm

H. laoticus wrote:
Those fruit flies will appear around food/decaying food. If you want to see less of them, clear out any leftovers from your enclosure.

If you see little white things moving around, they aren't necessarily bad. They could be baby crickets or springtails (reported from others). Heck, they can even be beneficial predatory mites. However, if they're around the joints of your scorpions, then they are parasitic mites and are bad for them. If you should find them to be mites and bad mites at that, let us know and I will offer solutions.

No need to jump to dumping all the substrate--gotta find out if there is even a problem Smile

I agree with this. I haven't experienced mites though and hope I don't have too but have issues with both fruit flies and scuttle flies. They are pretty harmless to scorps just looking for garbage! Baby crickets are annoying too but if you keep a water dish they will get big enough to jump in and not big enough to get out Smile. Adding Isopods to the tank for tropical species is good too. They will leave your scorps alone and the scorps won't eat them. They act as little tank cleaners and eat on decomposing plant and insect matter.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 12:33 am

iitomodachi1 wrote:
Adding Isopods to the tank for tropical species is good too. They will leave your scorps alone and the scorps won't eat them. They act as little tank cleaners and eat on decomposing plant and insect matter.

Question about isopods. I'd love to add some roly's to my tank to clean the mess, but how is thier ability to climb glass (or the glue in the corners) and escape to run amok all over my house?

Also, in a 10 gallon, with 1 scorp, how many would be a preferred number to add?

Thanks in advance. Sorry to hijack the OP's post (even momentarily)
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 1:25 am

I would think 5 would be enough for 1 scorp, they will breed eventually too. I have not ever known one to escape yet. I have not ever seen them on the glass or in the corners, they just chill out in the tank. I'm sure some others on here may have some insight as well. I don't know they would even survive in the house if they were to get out.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 1:49 am

Thanks for bringing up isopods. If you have issues with leftover food in your tank, isopods are the way to go.
However, try to get pillbugs, the ones that actually roll into a ball like these: http://www.lausd.k12.ca.us/Belmont_HS/tkm/Pics/Pillbug%20pic/pillbug.gif

Try to avoid these: http://www.azfotos.com/animals/crustaceans/stockphotosalamy/isopods-picture_AJM4F1.jpg
There was a recent report by a hobbyist that the woodlice pictured above actually ate his baby scorpions.

I wouldn't worry about them escaping.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 2:26 am

H. laoticus wrote:

Try to avoid these: http://www.azfotos.com/animals/crustaceans/stockphotosalamy/isopods-picture_AJM4F1.jpg
There was a recent report by a hobbyist that the woodlice pictured above actually ate his baby scorpions.

The "woodlice" varient seem to be common Sow Bugs (at least the ones in the picture are)... regretfully, these fellas only eat mold and decaying matter. My basement was infested at one point. I'm pretty up on my sowbugs.

Their ability/desire to eat live food is low if not nonexistant. Likely, his baby scorps were dead, and then feasted on as they decayed.

Might be a different wood-louse variety out there that would eat them, but thanks for the advice on the pillbugs anyways!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 4:26 am

where can i get pillbugs from?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 4:30 am

There should be plenty in your back garden! But most people recommend breeding them for a couple generations incase of any insecticide or parasites.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 4:40 am

We get wood lice in house and garden but not sure if they are the correct things lol
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 4:57 am

Kerrby wrote:
H. laoticus wrote:

The "woodlice" varient seem to be common Sow Bugs (at least the ones in the picture are)... regretfully, these fellas only eat mold and decaying matter. My basement was infested at one point. I'm pretty up on my sowbugs.

Their ability/desire to eat live food is low if not nonexistant. Likely, his baby scorps were dead, and then feasted on as they decayed.

Might be a different wood-louse variety out there that would eat them, but thanks for the advice on the pillbugs anyways!

Well here is the thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=190174&page=2
There are a variety of them, but the fact that they do eat scorplings, live or dead is a concern to me although it's very possible the baby was dying/dead. Who knows, a baby that has dropped off the mother can fall prey to a group of hungry isopods. It hasn't been tested, but I'd keep a wary eye on them either way.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 5:05 am

is there anythign else that could do the same job?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 6:11 am

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about them. I'd consider it a freak accident anyways. I have isopods in my tank (woodlice and pillbug) and my scorpions are fine. I guess you can worry if your scorpion has babies, but even then the chances are slim. If you have adult or sub-adult scorpions, I wouldn't worry.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 6:54 am

Ok cool well we have sub adult + adult so they would be fine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty9/24/2010, 12:18 pm

H. laoticus wrote:

Well here is the thread: http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=190174&page=2
There are a variety of them, but the fact that they do eat scorplings, live or dead is a concern to me although it's very possible the baby was dying/dead. Who knows, a baby that has dropped off the mother can fall prey to a group of hungry isopods. It hasn't been tested, but I'd keep a wary eye on them either way.

Agreed. Even with my (sadly [...it was a huge infestation in my basement]) knowledge of sowbugs, just the comment alone was enough to make me consider pillbugs and pillbugs only. Well, that and sowbugs breed fast. Real fast.

I agree with your later comment however. An adult scorpion (outside of a molt) probably wouldn't tolerate these little things munching down.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fruit Flys. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fruit Flys.   Fruit Flys. Empty

Back to top Go down

Fruit Flys.
Page 1 of 1