The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!

Go down 
+3
Scorpion19981000
shebeen
CactusHugger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

Number of posts : 275
Registration date : 2012-10-03

My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty
PostSubject: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 2:36 am

His name is Leonidas and he is way to buff for his own good! haha

My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Pb250810
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 11:35 am

Nice looking scorp. Your substrate appears quite dry and shallow. For a permanent enclosure, you should have deep moist substrate.

Emperor substrate:
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 2:53 pm

Thanks! Yeah I was thinking the same thing Ill probably mist it down good later
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 6:57 pm

CactusHugger wrote:
Thanks! Yeah I was thinking the same thing Ill probably mist it down good later

Pour water on the substrate, it's much more efficient than misting. Misting it will only get the top layer moist.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 7:10 pm

Oh really!? Wow I never thought of that. Sounds like a really good idea though thank you. Could I pour from a bottle, or does the flow have to be less heavy than that?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 7:18 pm

Yeah, you can pour from a bottle......

I usually pour it through some type of fairly fine screening. (Such as the tank top.)

The screen will prevent the water from falling in a solid stream. This way it soaks the substrate but doesn't wash it away. It's sort of like a brief, but fairly heavy rain. It also distributes the water more evenly over the surface of the substrate.

Make sense?

If I'm unclear, I'll attempt to make a video showing what I mean. (Providing my camera cooperates.)
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 7:25 pm

You actually made that very clear thank you, but if you have the time and you wouldnt mind sharing a video that would be great too Smile I have a screen its not that fine but I do have like a fine screen mesh like a sort of hand held one I can use if that would work?
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 7:35 pm

CactusHugger wrote:
You actually made that very clear thank you, but if you have the time and you wouldnt mind sharing a video that would be great too Smile

I'll see if I have time, and if my camera is working. Wink

Quote :
I have a screen its not that fine but I do have like a fine screen mesh like a sort of hand held one I can use if that would work?

The screen doesn't have to be very fine, it just distributes the water better when it is.

When pouring the water, make sure you don't dump it all in one area, keep moving the bottle. Otherwise it will remain in a fairly solid stream, regardless of the screening. (Granted, the screen would still break up the stream, but not as much as if you were moving the bottle around.)
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 8:24 pm

Thank you so much that would be greatly appreciated I live in the desert so I am such a newbie to humidity and water haha

Ok thats what I thought ill be sure to do that next time thank you so much for the help again!
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 10:21 pm

I have a screen on the top of my emp tank and I found that the humidity wouldn't stay high for long enough. As it is I'm adding water every other day to try to keep the humidity in the 80's so check your humidity often cactus it may get pretty dry in there pretty fast.

On this issue I bought the battery operated probe style sensor so I could run it into the hide to check the humidity levels better. it was quite the eye opener. Ive since blocked off 80 -90 % of the open top to promote higher humidity.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 10:30 pm

Yames wrote:
I have a screen on the top of my emp tank and I found that the humidity wouldn't stay high for long enough. As it is I'm adding water every other day to try to keep the humidity in the 80's so check your humidity often cactus it may get pretty dry in there pretty fast.

On this issue I bought the battery operated probe style sensor so I could run it into the hide to check the humidity levels better. it was quite the eye opener. Ive since blocked off 80 -90 % of the open top to promote higher humidity.

Good point.

I solve this problem by using a false bottom and by partially covering the top with plexiglass.
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 10:32 pm

I as well found that a lot of my humidity had escaped with an open screen top so I too have about 70-80% of my screen blocked and my humidity stays at about 70 to 80% humidity for 2 or 3 days before dropping to 60-65% humidity haha
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 11:07 pm

Also being on the topic of covering screens how much of the screen can I cover without starving my scorpion of oxygen?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 11:34 pm

The scorpion needs very little oxygen, so to speak. We hardly see a scorpion running marathon around the perimeter of the tank 24/7 am i right? clown

You may even have your enclosure's top sealed up with only 5% of the lid opened for ventilation and the scorpion will unlikely be "starved" from oxygen and die.

The concern is, when insufficient ventilation is provided for the enclosure, unwanted issues such as molds.. fruit-fly larves.. fogging of your enclosure's wall may occur easily.

You may observe closely on your enclosure and increase/decrease the lid's opening as and when required. As for the issue of "insufficient oxygen", as mention, it's not of a concern Smile
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/16/2012, 11:58 pm

Haha that is very true! but wow thank you so much it makes alot of sense though and my tank is still getting sufficient ventilation its just i want to keep the humidity in for longer so i want to be able to close off more of the tank you know?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 12:09 am

Not at all, i didn't help much Razz

For maintaining the humidity, so that you will not to be religiously caught up misting the tank, you may try Richard's
[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks or Scorpion1998's suggestion.

Both methods work like a charm.

As long as your substrate is adequately moist (like Richard's demo pic above) and you had the correct temperature for your enclosure. Things should be fine. Not to worry so much about the air humidity.
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 12:21 am

Well it was good help for me and any help is great help right? Thanks so much humidity in my tank stays at like 70 75% for about 3 days so im not too worried but definitely knowing i can cover more of my screen is great Smile thanks again and thank you for the link!
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 12:43 am

Agree Smile

No prob. You're doing great, caring for your P.imperator. Keep it up!
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 12:50 am

Will do! thank you! cheers
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 5:10 am

nice scorp Smile
Back to top Go down
Scorpion975
Pandinus
Scorpion975

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2012-08-10

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 3:57 pm

As a side note since you're in Arizona you can send me some H. Arizonensis Very Happy lol
Back to top Go down
CactusHugger
Babycurus
CactusHugger

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty10/17/2012, 4:58 pm

Haha id be happy to! and thank you BEX Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!   My new Pandinus imperator is awesome! Empty

Back to top Go down

My new Pandinus imperator is awesome!
Page 1 of 1