The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator

Go down 
+5
Venom
scorpion111
LadyRiotControl
nymphetaminion
chevy_power427
9 posters
AuthorMessage
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-11-05

Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty
PostSubject: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:01 pm

Has anyone ever housed both together ( with a sufficient sized tank and hides). Is it possible?? Since they are from same family, similar enviroments?? There's one for sale, and I have the space. I have 2 emps already. I think I got scorpion fever....
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:09 pm

IIRC you can house em together given sufficient space and hides..but P.cav is more aggressive so you stand a chance at losing your imps....but thats a maybe also..they might get along all fine and dandy...your call dude.
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:13 pm

Can they live in comunities usually?
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:16 pm

Pandinus are communal yes...but some are more aggressive than others
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:18 pm

ok, in your opinion, should i take the risk?? If I see that there is trouble ahead, I'll just house him separetly. Does sex change anything with aggressivity?
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:26 pm

i've seen it done before..and pet stores sometimes get both mixed up and they do fine...so i'd try it...just make sure they're the same size...you can also wait for Mike or Eddy or Connie or any others from the gang who could back me up or correct me...but thats my 2 cents...

BTW...another Canadian cheers
cheers from someone 10hrs away Smile
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:28 pm

Good, I'll give it a try, worse to happen, I'll house him alone.
Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:32 pm

Right I have put this somewhere in the forum before but as nymph said they need space.

I had 4 p.imp / 2 h.spins and a p.cavi in a 4' forest terranium tank. loads of hides and planting and they all lived together fine.

Only 'murder' was the huge female imp killing the largest male imp after shunning his advances. the p.imps and the h.spins actually lived together in the same burrow. the cavi was at the other end.
The had some minor scuffles as each was introduced but nothing major.

It is dependant on the 'attitude' of the scorpion. some will live together fine... others will be awkward. So try them together by all means but if they start getting blood thirsty separate them. but in theory its worth a try Smile
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:38 pm

7 scorpion in a 4' terranium, 3 species, , that's pretty good. Must be a nice sight to see when they all come out at night.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:50 pm

I had another h.spin but was to aggressive to go in. it looked fantastic on a night with them all out.

I had a sweetheart vine growing along the back and the scorps used to use it as monkey bars!
Many a time they fell off! was quite funny to watch and they were never injured!

I also had several spider plants in there... grow like mad and provide some excellent hiding places. Also held the substrate together so no caved in burrows!

And the h.spins and p.imps looked after each other when they were shedding too. was quite a good experiment all in all Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 6:55 pm

Thats sounds really cool.

when the bay Emps I have grow up, im gonna house a few together.

yay for community!
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 9:39 pm

I've done hets and P.imps, but I avoided Cavimanus because people warned me not to.
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/10/2008, 9:45 pm

Went to get it, let it cool down after the car ride in a small box. took the time to rearrange the terranium a little bit, made sure he wasn't hungry, then I let loose the little guy. Result: big mistake! He explored for maybe 5 minutes, discovered my emperors hiding spot ( both hide there peacefully usually) then aggressively took over. Had to rush to get the other enclosure ready to house him, while making sure he didn't harm my emperors. End result: Emperors will live peacefully as before, will never try this again, only thing I might add is another emperor, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/11/2008, 1:03 am

It depends on the specimen. I personally shy away from cross species (except with herbivores) habitats though I may try C scupt and C vittatus one day.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/11/2008, 4:16 am

My pandinus cavimanus was the meanest of scorpions I own! I wouldnt even consider housing her with another pandinus cavimanus let alone a "doscile" pandinus imperator....she died of old age now though....

Your call but see it this way...in the wild...would they meet? chances are not....so...whats the use...the need in putting the two together?

My cats could meet a dog out in the street, doesnt mean I would want to encourage it since anything bad could happen....

but again...your call
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/11/2008, 10:42 am

oh well it was worth a try. It is possible but it does depend on the individual scorpion.

Connie you do have a valid point, but there is little harm in experimenting within reason so long as you're prepared for every eventuality.
The plus side of integrating a couple of species together is that you can save on a tank if it works out Smile And I was extremely surprised to find the emps and spins automatically became a group

Like I mentioned, I had a h.spin that was too aggressive to go in the communal tank, and was prepared with a spare tank all set up and ready to go.

But what is a hobby for if you don't push the boundaries every now and then?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/11/2008, 11:20 am

I wish I'd logged in yesterday . . . I would NOT have recommended this. As far as same environments, they're similar, but P. cavimanus tends to prefer things a tad drier, and are MUCH more aggressive than P. imperator and not nearly as communal. One of our members, ManicDan, got his introduction to this when one of his P. cavimanus ate the neighbor.

Anyway, I'm glad that you found this out without any casualties.
Back to top Go down
chevy_power427
Centruroides
chevy_power427

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/11/2008, 6:09 pm

It's no big deal, I don't mind having another tank, I was ready for this. Too bad.
Back to top Go down
ManicDan
Centruroides
ManicDan

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2008-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty11/15/2008, 8:16 pm

Yup, Mike is quite correct. I have housed the two together, my P. Imp was smaller (i3) than my P. Cav (i5)... and she (my P Cav) ate him. Made a good video of the "chewing" action she does, they lived and snuggled together for about two weeks, and I fed them regularly, but she ended up mowin down on him. Huge shock "Hey friend, want to see my two scorpions?" (lifts up hide) "Er I only see one... oh god Tiny Tim is hanging out of Tenacious's mouth..."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator   Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator Empty

Back to top Go down

Pandinus Cavimanus housed with pandinus Imperator
Page 1 of 1