The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks

Go down 
+2
Bedlam
shebeen
6 posters
AuthorMessage
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty
PostSubject: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/1/2011, 4:23 pm

I thought I'd share with you how I built the false bottom in my emperor enclosure. Instead of gravel,
I'm using an "egg crate" light diffuser panel, window screen, and wicks made from 1/2 inch nylon rope.
It's more complicated, expensive and time consuming than a simple gravel or gravel/screen bottom, but
it's much lighter. I didn't take any pictures when I was assembling my enclosure, so I made a miniature
version from a critter carrier to demonstrate the concept. I hope you find the ideas here useful.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb110
I use spacers cut from 1/2 inch PVC pipe to elevate the egg crate off the bottom of the tank. The spacers
are glued in place with a bit of silicon (I omitted the silicon for this demo.) The egg crate is wrapped with
nylon window screen secured with wire ties. The wicks are made from 1/2 inch nylon rope (the soft kind).
I chose nylon because it wicks water well and won't rot.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb210
Bind the wicks in the middle with wire ties to prevent them from unraveling. When making the wicks, attach the
wire ties first before cutting the rope. Thicker rope would probably have been better but all I had was 1/2 inch.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb310
Cut the egg crate so that it fits snugly against the sides of the enclosure. The window screen is wrapped around
the edges of the egg crate and secured with wire ties. This should prevent your scorpion from getting trapped
under the egg crate or between the egg crate and the screen. These egg crate panels are quite brittle. I found
the best way to cut them is with a pair of diagonal wire cutters.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb410
Insert the wicks through the bottom of the egg crate.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb510
Twist the wick so the end flairs out between the egg crate and the screen.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb610
The tricky part is placing the assembled panel into the tank without having the wicks fall out. I found it easier if you
lay the tank on its side, thus the need to glue down the spacers. The screen does a pretty good job of holding the
wicks in place if you're gentle. If necessary, you can add additional wire ties to the center of the panel to hold the
screen a bit tighter to the egg crate.

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb710
The wicks will stay in place once the panel is resting on the spacers and the wicks resting on the bottom of the tank.
You'll also want to install a fill tube in one corner that extends down through the egg crate. I just used a length of
1/2 inch PVC pipe with a diagonal cut on the bottom (not pictured here).

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Fb810
Here's a picture of my false bottom in operation. It seems to be doing a pretty good job. The water level drops
about 1/8 inch a week and the substrate (coco fiber) stays nice and moist. I used 16 wicks for my enclosure which
has a bottom that measures 10x20 inches. I would liked to have used 20 wicks (perhaps more) but I ran out of rope.

Edit: 16 wicks has worked just fine and 12 would probably have been plenty.

Last edited by shebeen on 1/15/2013, 11:26 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated title)
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/1/2011, 5:11 pm

That is really good work their. I might use this as a reference to a false bottom I may construct.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/1/2011, 5:37 pm

Excellent. This is more of a true false bottom than the gravel method. I've seen this used in lots of Dart Frog tanks. Very helpful to be able to actually see exactly how much water you have in the bottom.
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/1/2011, 5:58 pm

Very well done. You could probably sell these lol.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/1/2011, 7:51 pm

This is my first attempt to build any type of scorpion enclosure. I don't know how well it
will perform compared to a gravel false bottom, but I figure it shouldn't be any worse than
a true false bottom.
Back to top Go down
Streettrash
Androctonus
Streettrash

Number of posts : 1836
Registration date : 2011-04-14

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/1/2011, 8:24 pm

I think it will work great!
Back to top Go down
shining
Parabuthus
shining

Number of posts : 1162
Registration date : 2011-05-28

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty6/2/2011, 1:56 am

that is genius.and everything you need is at home depants or blowes. where do you pour the water?directly through the coco on to the wicks??
Back to top Go down
emilights
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty8/27/2011, 12:02 pm

This is GREAT. I have just did mine using this invention with some twists because :
- The materials used were not available
- The shape of my old aquarium is TRAPEZOID
- I am not really tactful Smile
So,
- Instead of PVC pipe I used bricks (I tried sawing some, but I produced different length with different angles)
- Instead of window screen and egg crate I sew left over of asbestos roof
- And since it is very difficult to shape the asbestos roof to TRAPEZOID, I cut some sponges as a replacement for the nylon wicks and use the sponges to cover all the miss cuts

Thanks
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty8/27/2011, 3:54 pm

I'm glad you found the tutorial useful. I should caution you about sponges, however. Sponges, and other
materials made from natural fibers like cotton or wood pulp, will harbor bacteria and also rot. That's why I
chose to use nylon and plastic. As far as asbestos goes, it's a mineral so you should be ok. Just don't breath
in any fibers while cutting or working with it.
Back to top Go down
emilights
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2011-08-20

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty8/28/2011, 5:11 am

You are correct about asbestos. I rinsed and dried it twice after cutting. Thank you for the information on the sponges it'll be a gem next time.

At the moment I'm still experimenting with the coco-peat, plants, millipede, crickets, if the can make a good food chain since the aquarium is quite big (I think) L X W X H = 33 X 15 X 15 inches roughly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks   [HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks Empty

Back to top Go down

[HOW TO] Build a False bottom using nylon rope wicks
Page 1 of 1