The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

[Discussion] Androctonus spp.

Go down 
+34
shaneshac
steven555
shadowfoot
Scorpion19981000
scorpmania
Wearelegion
bluefrogtat2
Henderson
lycanlord
Obeah
tfleming
tdark1
Chrome
AnthonyNeubauer
spinnin_tom
nivlaisme
69wishes
Will3
Jay
Cyanide
tlb_05
Roblicious
kingzy88
leiurusSaleen820
takos
leathalreptiles
pluto
Streettrash
Miami T
*~BEX~*
iitomodachi1
DolbyR
Vin Diesel
**GS**
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/2/2011, 5:24 pm

Nice coloration on the last tail segment! I thought at first it was a hector, but I the color of the pedipalps looks normal.
Awesome A.a.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2009-10-05

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/2/2011, 10:55 pm

thanks tfleming and DolbyR. shes a normal morph. i accidentally got her as gravid. i have 3 males. 6i and two 7i. I'll take a few shots of them later with my other 6i female when i get home. thanks again!
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 2:03 am

Obeah wrote:
Hi guys i really enjoy reading this thread and learned alot from each and everyone of you. im kinda old/new in ASF. old because i joined a long time ago but i only read and read to every threads. btw, androctonus sp is my all time favorite. their personality and reputation in this hobby. i want to share some of my A.australis photos i hope its not too late for me to share it with you guys! this was taken 2 months ago before and after she gave birth. enjoy.

Click here to view:

Great series of shots. Especially pic #1.. it is a good side view shot of a gravid A.australis mum 2 months prior to birth.

Generally most shots are taken nicely at in different angles which tells a different story about the beautiful A.australis.
Well done [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 129887
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 3:38 am

Thanks GS. i find photography + scorpion as an art. i never get tired of taking pictures of this beauty even if its redundant. but i wish i had a macro lens and take it to the next level of scorpion photography Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 7:09 am

Yes, taking pictures of Scorpions can be a form of ART too Smile

Invert photography is a good way of documenting the growth and changes in a specimen.
Definitely not redundant at all.. but it really takes a lot of discipline in doing that..

Btw, what gears are you on currently?
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 7:28 am

Those pics are already now pretty amazing. I would say the device behind the camera is more important than the gear itself. GS, your iPhone pics prove my point! Smile
I still need to learn a lot about macro photography, specially lighting and camera settings. Need to find some time to finally read those e-books I bought in the summer.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 11:31 am

Yes, i miss using my iphone for shots too.. particularly its because of the ease in usage.
The only configuration/settings to be made are to the positioning of my table lamp.. LOL
Light is the indeed THE source of quality image!

This is one my favorite iphone4 shots..

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 AA_Female_Pic10jpg

I only moved on to DSLR after reaching my limits of utilising an iphone4 camera.
More things to play/ experience with.. aperture.. shutterspeed.. iso.. white balance.
I'm still learning as well... and its really great to share with you guys.. lolz

My suggestion is.. get into practice asap. Nothing beats it and the more you shot.. the better you get! cheers
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 11:55 am

I'm actually glad I opted for not buying the DSLR at this point. I'll take a while to learn all the settings of this cam, so a DSLR would had mixed me completely Very Happy

Did you use a specific app for focusing etc. on the iPhone? I bought one 2 months ago, so I could probaby try to get used to its camera functions and use it when I need to react fast.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 12:10 pm

Your PNS has great settings to play with too Smile

When i was still using my iphone.. i just used the default camera. The trick is getting the right amount of light at the right place.. tap the focal point you wish to achieve and BAMB! Done!

However, recently i installed an app called Camera+ on my iphone.

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 AppOfTheWeek

Its awesome.
You can separate the focal point and white-balance (WB) by using two fingers as contact point.
That way, you can adjust the lighting required. E.g. By dragging the WB cross-hair to a darker place, you can brighten the overall pic while you still have the focusing cross-hair to choose your focal point.

Or.. you can simple use it like the default iphone camera with a single tap.

Check it out if you haven Smile

Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 1:27 pm

DolbyR wrote:
I would say the device behind the camera is more important than the gear itself. GS, your iPhone pics prove my point! Smile

This is so true, kind of like me at the moment. All the gear, no idea LOL Still trying to get my head around basics at the moment, but I'll get there, eventually Very Happy You did the right thing Dolby by keeping it simple at first.

I totally agree that scorpion photography is a form of art and it's that subject alone that got me to buy my dslr and have a go. I'm always on GS' or Hauser's sites drooling over the works of art! I'm even in the process of working out a tattoo for myself from some of GS' pics, hope you don't mind mate but your A'a's are too awesome!

Lovely shots by the way Obeah, keep 'em coming Very Happy Definitely not redundant, would like to see what you could do with some macro glass.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 1:40 pm

JamieLawrence wrote:

I'm always on GS' or Hauser's sites drooling over the works of art!

+1 Smile

I'm actually thinking about DIY'ing something like Hauser's LED lighting. I tried some shots with a basic clamp lamp and no flash, and there was definitely improvement. I used regular incandescent bulb so it made the pics (the last ones in my thread) bit yellowish, but next time I'll try with a CFL.
Probably 2-3 LED projectors like his would work ideally.
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/3/2011, 2:13 pm

i agree with you GS, the position of lighting is very important and yes indeed the key to a good outcome. i'm using 2 cameras at the moment, for macro shots i use sony cybershot and the other one i borrowed to my gf is a canon 400D. im not a technical person when it comes to cameras because im only using one with a limited functions.. angle and lighting is all that i need for now. Very Happy and i only use external lighting like (LED/sun). hopefully soon i will learn more about the technicalities of photography when i have my own dslr and lenses. hehe.

btw thanks for the compliment guys. now i really want to see some artsy androctonus photos. Smile

Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/12/2011, 9:44 am

JamieLawrence wrote:
DolbyR wrote:
I would say the device behind the camera is more important than the gear itself. GS, your iPhone pics prove my point! Smile

This is so true, kind of like me at the moment. All the gear, no idea LOL Still trying to get my head around basics at the moment, but I'll get there, eventually Very Happy You did the right thing Dolby by keeping it simple at first.

I totally agree that scorpion photography is a form of art and it's that subject alone that got me to buy my dslr and have a go. I'm always on GS' or Hauser's sites drooling over the works of art! I'm even in the process of working out a tattoo for myself from some of GS' pics, hope you don't mind mate but your A'a's are too awesome

Feel free my friend... I'll be more than happy Smile
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/14/2011, 5:55 am

i'll post some new updated photos soon. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/14/2011, 6:49 am

mating photos: Androctonus australis

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Dsc01810

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Dsc02011

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Dsc02012

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Dsc02013
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/14/2011, 7:12 am

Nice pics Obeah.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/14/2011, 7:17 am

Great shots Smile Keep them coming!
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/14/2011, 8:05 am

thanks! have you heard Androctonus australis "australis"? its very yellowish in color compared to common Aas.

Heres the link please check.
http://www.scorpions.lt/index.php?option=com_simplelists&view=simplelist&layout=select&category_id=37&Itemid=49
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/14/2011, 2:19 pm

Took a few Macro shots on a Androctonus australis 7.instar female specimen to share:

Carapace
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Androctonus_australis_by_GSscorpions82_151111_pic1

Metasoma
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Androctonus_australis_by_GSscorpions82_151111_pic3

Tarsal
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Androctonus_australis_by_GSscorpions82_151111_pic4

Tarsal Setae
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Androctonus_australis_by_GSscorpions82_151111_pic5d

Last edited by GS on 11/15/2011, 1:53 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Updates)
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/15/2011, 1:56 am

Androctonus australis chela's comparison between male and female specimens:

Female
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Androctonus_australis_by_GSscorpions82_151111_pic2

Male
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Androctonus_australis_by_GS_pic4
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/15/2011, 3:32 am

Awesome pics GS! Is the female's chela more curved compared to the male? The size difference in the "notch" does not seem very big.
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/15/2011, 5:50 am

nice detailed shots you have there. yeah i agree it seemed that theres no difference on both chela.
Back to top Go down
Obeah
Hadogenes
Obeah

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/15/2011, 6:15 am

My 7i male Androctonus bicolor.

[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Dsc02610
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/15/2011, 6:49 am

DolbyR wrote:
Awesome pics GS! Is the female's chela more curved compared to the male? The size difference in the "notch" does not seem very big.

Thanks Bud.
Yes, not a significant difference has been observed.
That is why all other methods other than pectine count can only be used as a reference.. not a clear indication.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty11/15/2011, 6:51 am

Obeah wrote:
nice detailed shots you have there. yeah i agree it seemed that theres no difference on both chela.
Thanks mate Smile

Obeah wrote:
My 7i male Androctonus bicolor.
[Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Dsc02610

Very nice shot & awesome pose!

Try to get some shots which are "head-on" with the bug facing the lens.
Its simple angle but the effect is definitely Great Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [Discussion] Androctonus spp.   [Discussion] Androctonus spp. - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

[Discussion] Androctonus spp.
Page 18 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23  Next