The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

Number of posts : 833
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty
PostSubject: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 12:20 am

So today, I bought some Zoo Med Excavator Clay, and it was pretty expensive. I was just wondering if I were to buy some all natural sculpting or pottery clay (not air dry clay, but clay you have to put in a kiln) would it be ok for desert enclosures.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 1:15 pm

if it's clean clay I don't think it's a problem.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 7:22 pm

I don't know Patrick but I did pottery once and that clay turns into stone... so I personally wouldn't use that.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 7:26 pm

Well, clay tends to do that lol. I'm going to try it. My 3D art teacher uses this grey clay that turns white when cooked in the kiln. Someday I'll get some from the art store and let it air dry in a 10 gal.

Thanks for the responses.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 8:55 pm

I use red clay mixed with coco fibre. Works very well
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 9:12 pm

shaneshac wrote:
I use red clay mixed with coco fibre. Works very well

Air dry clay?
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 9:19 pm

There is an old thread on here that talks about dissolving the red clay in some water and then mixing the clay liquid into coco fiber and/or sand.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 9:24 pm

So making the clay into slip, then mixing it? I'll try that. After I use my excavator. Many environments where scorpions are found have clay in the soil/dirt. I'm going the extra mile to make my enclosures as realistic to the natural environments as possible. And that includes substrate color, decor items found in the environment, etc etc.

EDIT: My future [HOW TO] is going to be about researching, and re-creating natural environments (With examples for certain species). So this info is all relevant for the research and what not.
Back to top Go down
Bayss
Tityus
Bayss

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 9:29 pm

Yep...then as it dries out it will be throughout the mix. As you probably have experienced, excavator clay will settle some when you add water to the dry clay/sand mix. I've never tried the liquid clay trick, but it makes sense that you would have the clay distributed better that way.
Back to top Go down
Patcho
SCORPIONMOD
Patcho

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty5/4/2013, 9:43 pm

I've never tried excavator clay before. I've only had P. imperator and then the new R. junceus.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay   Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay Empty

Back to top Go down

Excavator Clay vs Pottery/Sculpting Clay
Page 1 of 1