The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Bayushi-san
Hadogenes
Bayushi-san

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2012-07-01

Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty
PostSubject: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/28/2013, 2:03 am

So, I've been a Haddy Owner for a month or so now. When I got her she was fairly plump. I was worried she was Gravid. After some careful feeding schedules, I believe she's starting to thin down...however I noticed something odd with one of her sides. Now - I've studied pictures of Mycosis and I'm fairly certain that I'm not dealing with it in this case.

Regardless, here are some photo records for you to observe.

This was taken April 7th. She's definitely a bit bigger - but that's also the 'normal' looking side.

On the 14th, I got this picture.

You can kind of see the dark area on her side. It's definitely internal.

On the 28th, I took this picture, which caused me enough concern to post this here.

Now - she's been active every night doing all the good scorpion things. She's running around, digging fervently, and eating when I offer her food. I'm wondering if this is a part of her natural physiology, a sign that she's gravid, or some other issue. It could be nothing. It could be my little girl's unique feature.

Just wonderin. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tongue Flicker
Parabuthus
Tongue Flicker

Number of posts : 1106
Registration date : 2012-11-01

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/28/2013, 11:36 am

looks premolt to me
Back to top Go down
Shakudo
Tityus
Shakudo

Number of posts : 870
Registration date : 2013-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/28/2013, 11:54 am

exoticvirus wrote:

looks premolt to me

Agreed ^
Back to top Go down
Bayushi-san
Hadogenes
Bayushi-san

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/28/2013, 11:58 am

Well shucks.

So much for Wild Caught Adult.

The tank I have her in has no False Bottom. Any advice for proper humidity? I have her under a daylight heat bulb that will easily cook moisture out of the tank itself. At night though, it's not on. Where I'm at, I'm expecting 80-90% Humidity this week. Should I just move her closer to a window and crack it some?

I know Haddy's have a hard time with molts in captivity.

Also - whats the best way for telling Instar on a Haddy? The trick with the Telson that I use with my Emps isn't gonna work here, methinks.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/29/2013, 10:04 am

She might be premolt, but keep in mind that Haddy's can eat themselves to obesity. My adult female fattened up quite a bit last year. Do you have an idea of her overall length?

Fat Haddy:
Back to top Go down
Bayushi-san
Hadogenes
Bayushi-san

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/29/2013, 10:56 am

I'm not sure what to measure, so I measured the ground pictured here. The lines I marked in the following image are about 2 inches apart, as marked.

https://i.imgur.com/5M7GtHb.jpg

I should also mention that, as of this morning, she's holed herself inside her burrow.
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty4/29/2013, 1:52 pm

Based on your measurement, I would say that she is an adult and either just fat or, perhaps, gravid. It's common for Haddy's to stay in their burrows for extended periods, anywhere from days to weeks to months.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis   Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis Empty

Back to top Go down

Odd Dark Spot on my H. Arizonensis
Page 1 of 1