The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

A question regarding using spot lamps

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

Number of posts : 485
Registration date : 2013-03-07

A question regarding using spot lamps Empty
PostSubject: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 9:16 am

Awesome setups in this thread. I have a question about using little spotlights for heating desert vivs

How much distance should there be from the light to the substrate to get the correct temperature?

I am finishing a viv with three compartments for desert species and want to use a little light inside each one

Also how are you fixing them? Directly to the wire mesh above?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 9:29 am

I moved your questions to their own thread so that they're more likely to be spotted by everyone Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 9:39 am

It depends on the size (wattage) bulb you will be using, what temperature you want to achieve and what the ambient temperature of the room is. Ideally you want to use a dimmer stat to avoid the possibility of overheating your scorpions. A bulb that is giving out a safe 30c when the room temp. is 15c, can heat the enclosure to 45c + if you get a hot day and there is no stat fitted to dim the amount of power available and so lower the temperature.

The other option is to use a dimmer switch. It's less safe than a stat but at least gives you some control over the temperature.

There's loads of ways you could fit bulbs. You could get pendant type fittings and hang them above, use a clamp lamp, sit a lamp directly on the mesh (so long as you are sure nothing will melt) etc. etc.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 9:55 am

Thanks a lot

I will be keeping Parabuthus and Hadrurus in these enclosures

The temp in the garage where i keep them goes from 35C in the summer (where i dont use heating) to about 12C in the winter where i do. At the moment its about 18C in there so all my enclosures are heated artificially

I dont have any desert species and really liked the idea of spotlights over an IR lamp
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 10:42 am

I typically use a IR spot bulb that is angled, irradiating one face of the glass aquariums, placing the scorpions that enjoy the highest heat closest to the bulb. I've had great success breeding desert species simply by providing a wide thermal gradient so that my females are able to regulate their temp as they please while gravid. You can always use a spot temperature gun or sticky thermometer (not very accurate) to gauge the temperature of the glass, which helps with adjusting if need be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 10:46 am

Thanks. how wide will an IR lamp heat?

Will it heat about 60cm ?

My tank is 60 x 33 and I have split it into 3 sections of 20x33 I am hoping one IR lamp would be enough
Back to top Go down
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 1:22 pm

20x33 cm is a little small for an adult Hadrurus, 30x33 cm would be better.
Back to top Go down
shaneshac
Babycurus
shaneshac

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty3/19/2013, 1:47 pm

Ok thanks. What desert species would be ok in that size tank? Androctonus and some Parabuthus?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A question regarding using spot lamps   A question regarding using spot lamps Empty

Back to top Go down

A question regarding using spot lamps
Page 1 of 1