The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Do I really ned a heat lamp????

Go down 
+7
EWom
Mr. Mordax
~Abyss~
jmoran1097
nymphetaminion
bjaeger
sliprep66
11 posters
AuthorMessage
sliprep66
Babycurus
sliprep66

Number of posts : 384
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty
PostSubject: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/7/2008, 1:38 pm

do i really need a heat lamp for a emp scorpion i want to keep it humid but im worried if i put like some thing over it to keep the humidity in i either melt or set something on fire that would not be cool i live in IL and it like 82 out side no ac just open windows

Last edited by sliprep66 on 6/7/2008, 2:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/7/2008, 1:43 pm

That should be fine at that temperature w/o a heat lamp. I kept my Emp without a heat lamp for nearly 6 months until I got a 10 GAL to put him in and the lights, etcetera. When fall/winter rolls by you'll definitely want to invest a few bucks in one. I paid $30 for the base and $10 for the light and it was well worth it. You're going to want one of those sticky thermometers, too. They're only like $3 or less.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/7/2008, 2:26 pm

like brandon said...winter time would be a good time to invest in one..but for now 82 is in the optimal range
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 2:25 am

i use one during So Cal winters when the night-time/early day time temps drop to 60 F inside the house. even without a heatlamp, my emp would still survive by burrowing, but it just slows down its metabolism and won't feed as often unless I offer heat during the early morning ours to raise the ambient temp inside the enclosure.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/moranspace
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 2:42 am

Most scorps survive unbelievale temps. You can get a heat pad...cheap and put it on in the winter. Just remember that without heat their matabolism is slower so they grow slower and eat less.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 2:50 am

I never use a heat lamp for anything; I just keep the room warm (which in the winter probably costs a lot more, but we have a lot of bugs and need the roaches to keep breeding).
Back to top Go down
EWom
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 3:55 am

Hehe, it's "summer" now where I live in Montana, and has been in the 50's outside. But that will soon change and I'll be taking the heat lamps off my scorps and lizard, probably in 3 weeks.

I have to use two heat lamps for my lizard in winter though, with the heat on to 70F for the house.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 4:12 am

summer and winter I always need heat mats. If the temps rise too high in the smaller tank I just make sure less is touching the tank.
The temps in my "Tiny" tank reach 100 very easily...yet the little one still presses to the side to the heat mat!
xxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 4:42 am

i keep my room at around 25-26c all year.. i dont use heat lamps for anything Very Happy and it seems to work perfekt Very Happy
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 5:08 am

My 10 gals are currently staying around 80-84, so I don't use a heat lamp. Plus it dries out the substrate (burns it sometimes, too) if you're using it directly on top of a screen like I do. I can't find my clamp... Neutral
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/8/2008, 11:34 pm

your heatlamp BURNS the substrate? uh...wow, that's powerful, dude.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/9/2008, 2:03 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
I never use a heat lamp for anything; I just keep the room warm (which in the winter probably costs a lot more, but we have a lot of bugs and need the roaches to keep breeding).

i think my scorp could be warmer, cause it doesnt eat to often. slow metabolism?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/9/2008, 2:23 pm

Scorps tend to slow down if it gets colder, yeah. But emps are also known for fasting randomly with no real "reason."
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/9/2008, 3:34 pm

jmoran1097 wrote:
your heatlamp BURNS the substrate? uh...wow, that's powerful, dude.
Yeah it's a 75W red bulb. I left it on too long and it started to burn the rocks/plant pot, too affraid
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty6/9/2008, 4:23 pm

IHeartMantids wrote:
Scorps tend to slow down if it gets colder, yeah. But emps are also known for fasting randomly with no real "reason."

i'll attest to the fact that it's easily one of the most annoying things of the scorpion keeping hobby, too.

my emp didn't feed for a month and then i offered it some crickets after this month period...ended up going without food for yet ANOTHER month. btw, she's fully mature and everything. it was thinking WTH?

Last edited by Thaedion on 6/9/2008, 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Obscene language reference- Thaedion)
Back to top Go down
brandonx0x0x1
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty7/6/2008, 10:53 pm

How do you regulate the humidity at room temp? Does it matter if the substrate is cold?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do I really ned a heat lamp????   Do I really ned a heat lamp???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do I really ned a heat lamp????
Page 1 of 1