The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My first time with a heat lamp

Go down 
+3
pluto
junosama
sswank06
7 posters
AuthorMessage
sswank06
Pandinus
sswank06

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-26

My first time with a heat lamp Empty
PostSubject: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/29/2011, 9:57 pm

I decieded it is just too cold for my guy here at this new place, so I am going to have to bite the bullet and go with a heat lamp. Any suggestion on what brands are decent, or are they all pretty much the same? Here is his current tank set up, The heat mat is up near the top of the pic. My first time with a heat lamp Img_2011 He can and does hide behind and around the plant as is. (You can see in the picture... sort of, that is where he was for the pics) Since I plan to up the temp though, should I add a second hide down at the cooler end?

As a side update since my last post, I have decided my scorp is just a complete insane weirdo. This is what he did to the new hide I got him and buried pretty much completely...
My first time with a heat lamp Img_2012 he dug it out not only on the inside, but completely around the edges from the outside to.... and decieded to put all the extra dirt back around the sides of the plant. What a complete weirdo of a scorpion. He just had to redecorate to his liking to be happy... And is now back to spending his time being a pet hole
Back to top Go down
junosama
Centruroides

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 1:12 am

I like these lamps below because they have a ceramic socket and dont get super hot, but im only using 50 watt infrared bulbs as you go up in wattage the lamps themselves will get much hotter and obviously produce more heat.

If you have a metal screen lid that is heat resistant you could place it on top on one side. Usually best to have the light/heat from from the top which is more natural.

http://www.petco.com/product/9469/Flukers-Clamp-Lamps.aspx?
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 5:15 am

It is actually a pretty good tank, heating it, makes it perfect for your type of scorpion.
Mine are from exo terra and they are decent. I would avoid reptisuns. All I can think of.

Good luck

ps.: is it S. Swank, like in for instance Suzan Swank? Or is it SS Wank?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 8:11 am

hey Smile nice setup loving the plant Smile

exo terra heat bulbs are the best by far, you have to be careful you dont get conned and end up with a so called infrared lamp when infact all it is is painted glass, the glass itself has to be red not painted it should give off a good red hue not an orange bright one Smile

also loving your beany scorpion we have that exact same one lolz Smile
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 8:30 am

My exoterra ones used to burn like crazy when I had my Iggy, but I guess he used to play football with it. The last one seems to last just fine.
I don't have any complaints about Flamingo brand either.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
shebeen
Tityus
shebeen

Number of posts : 507
Registration date : 2011-05-15

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 10:26 am

Flukers also makes those lamps with a dimmer switch built into the cord. I use the 5.5 inch
version w/dimmer and it works well. I use a 65W IR bulb dimmed to about half intensity for
my 10 gallon tank. I removed the clamp and placed the lamp directly on my wire mesh top.
Nice looking enclosure.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 11:25 am

Well my heatcabin is 220 Gallons of air to heat and it does it just nicely with only 150watts of IR bulbs. So i guess one lamp with a low wattage is more than enough to heat a 10Gallon. Sure
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
sswank06
Pandinus
sswank06

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-05-26

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty5/30/2011, 2:57 pm

Thanks for the suggestions and hints about what I should be looking for and about how much to get in wattage.

Pluto, S. Swank... but not telling what the first part is.

Bex, I use the beanie to actually keep the key to his enclosure safe. It is attached to it so it never gets lost. I have to many guyfriends who think they are cool and want to pick him up and bug him when they came over, so I started padlocking his cage.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty6/2/2011, 4:10 am

goto home depot to buy the lamp, half the price, same results.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first time with a heat lamp   My first time with a heat lamp Empty

Back to top Go down

My first time with a heat lamp
Page 1 of 1