The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Help With Shop Confusion

Go down 
+3
Mr. Mordax
freeman
*Connie*
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Help With Shop Confusion Empty
PostSubject: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/7/2008, 9:41 am

I went in today but as he was in and out buying himself another tarantula I didnt get chance to ask! But im going back tomorrow.
They have for sale
Long Claw
Cave Claw
Red Claw
African long claw<---I think it said

Now im damn confused. Before joining this forum I was happy with "common" names but now I really understand the importance of "proper" names because im in a pickle! I dont know what I want!

They also have a "pandinus africanus" for sale....ha....yeah. That looks like a red claw to me! but they also have an adult *or looks to be* heterometrus *Laoticus* but the second but they basically left blank! I just filled it in by the look of the scorpion....

So can you break down the "common" names they have so I can decide what to buy! obviously will take many picture shots and post on here tomorrow *if* I buy one!

xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
freeman
Centruroides
freeman

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/7/2008, 9:54 am

common names suck. without photos we can just guess..

Long Claw could be Heterometrus longimanus Smile or some Hadogens
Cave Claw - possibly Pandinus cavimanus
Red Claw - also possibly Pandinus cavimanus or other Pandinus
African long claw - it can be some Hadogens?
pandinus africanus - i saw some Opistocathus under this name.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/7/2008, 10:03 am

see cave claw and the long claw I would have thought longimanus and the red claw the cavimanus and the pandinus "africanus" to also be the cavimanus too...

*sighs*
So annoying. Im gonna look at them ALL tomorrow and I will say if ID is wrong on these im bringing it back and exchanging!

Might be easier to buy their named "banded flat rock scorpion"...
*laughs*

I am tempted to get the Heterometrus Laoticus...since ive already seen it and by its agressive stance not a imperator *doesnt have a red/brown telson* hahaha

*shakes head*
Why cant they make buying easy?

OK! This is an edit. Ive been looking online
Red Claw and African black scorpion are coming up as the "same thing" Pandinus Cavimanus. Be it though "breaking" the system or what not.

Red claw I gotta look out for "not so many dents in the chela"
The other option is that the adult in a tank on its own is a spinifer or more likely a laoticus (which they say its from vietnam)
So how can I tell those two apart?
Im guessing the "long claw" is the Heterometrus longimanus

Lets make it easy for Connie tomorrow. Any features to look out for in these scorpions. So I know which one to buuy bounce

xxxxxx

Last edited by *Connie* on 6/7/2008, 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added online information)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/7/2008, 11:24 am

Long claw is probably H. longimanus.

The way you tell H. laoticus apart is that it has a completely smooth carapace -- no granulation.

I saw something on the scorpion files that P. africanus is an invalid name and probably a sneaky way of labeling P. cavimanus.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/7/2008, 11:44 am

Right....so I will write this down so I dont forget!

Also...is H laoticus ok for me to own? Im not one for handling...so I cant see why not...conditions like a pandinus imperator?
I take it the cavimanus is basically the same too?
xxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 10:00 am

ok. The guy said the vietnam was a spinifer...somehow I didnt believe him.

I inspected the Red Claw, Cave Claw and African Black scorpions.
The red claw, im 98% certain its a pandinus cavimanus. Chela has some dents but only "half way" and has a black telson. Is this a pandinus cavimanus? Slight red colouration...but I know colour doesnt ever indicate.

The cave claw, I believe to be a female "longimanus" and the African black *thought to be cavimanus* had smooth chela and was agressive! I presume a Het. I would say Spinifer due to "head" not being smooth. But seeing it size me up make me think "nah! not ready yet for you"

This Cavimanus seems very doscile. Could mean internal problems as wild caught...seems to be about 5 inches including tail *very slender to be honest!*
and held to the side slightly...which sounds "bark" but not a bark scorpion! I can tell that much *laughs*

I will try to sex when the coco fibre is put into the new "fancy big rocher" box since waiting to get a proper tank for when we are in our house later this month

xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 10:16 am

IHeartMantids wrote:
Long claw is probably H. longimanus.

The way you tell H. laoticus apart is that it has a completely smooth carapace -- no granulation.

I saw something on the scorpion files that P. africanus is an invalid name and probably a sneaky way of labeling P. cavimanus.

Petersii allso has smooth carapace and no granulation, the problem with Heterometrus is they can be hard to ID without alot of experiance and the specimen in hand..

and Connie the male cavimanus have a big dent in its chela its a normal thing.. not a flaw.. if thats what you was talking about.. i whould say go down there pick the one you like best, buy it, bring it here and we will ID it.. Long claw chould be any heteromtrus, Red claw chould be Cavimanus or just what ever they feel like, Cave claw? that just sounds weird..

Cavimanus needs it abit more dry then a imp they live in abit dryier area,
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 10:19 am

I think the cavimanus is male. Had an look up view of him. Not 100% because I dont think is mature. But it looked more oval then heart shape.
I do have a picture. Will post later. Not the best of him because wouldnt keep still and wanted to sting us haha
xxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 10:21 am

oh and just seen that about it needing to be drier! eeek. oops...ok maybe a bit damp but that will soon dry out *facepalm*
xxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 12:32 pm

They only need it a *bit* drier -- don't worry if it seems really humid, just give them a little more ventilation. From your description of the "red claw" I'd definitely say it's P. cavimanus. My pair are fairly insane when it comes to temperament, so be sure you have quick reflexes when it comes to tank maintenance.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 2:43 pm

I do believe male. But couldnt get my decent picture. The only thing is that the chela doesnt have this "dent" in that the males are meant to have.
Black telson means adult?
xxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 3:08 pm

A black telson doesn't necessarily mean adult with this species -- my two subadults both have fully dark telsons.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 3:13 pm

Ok talked to mike about body size and guess at total length. sounds like an adult.

Here he is. 98% sure its a male. Kept it big for a good view. Cant see this "dent" in chela to suggest male...can you guys see it?
Help With Shop Confusion SANY0174
Back to top Go down
freeman
Centruroides
freeman

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2008-03-19

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 3:57 pm

this chela part is a little blury but i'd say adult cavimanus female
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 4:27 pm

Connie, can you get a shot of the pectines up here?
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/8/2008, 4:45 pm

I have tried but for tonight I will leave "grumpy" alone hahaha.

The Oval has a slight dip up the top but...im still not sure he is a he. Since there isnt this "dent" in the chela and ive been looking but cant see anything dipping in...and the "fans" are actually quite small and not as big as I would have thought of for males, since the male pandinus imperator I had, had HUGE fans!
When I get some bigger tongs on Tuesday I will remove "grumpy" from tank, into a container and try to get a better shot. I did try earlier but the flash was like annoying and without the camera doesnt focus!

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/9/2008, 12:16 am

It didn't focus with the flash off because the automatic settings in indoor light set it to a slower shutter speed -- you either need to shoot in a well-lit environment or brace the camera on something and hope the scorp doesn't move.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/9/2008, 2:35 pm

ok. I will try some time soon, will let him/her settle a bit more.
I am actually now thinking female. When looking at the size of the pectines, the smallness of them I did think female. When I looked for the heart I couldnt really see a very pronounced heart, seemed more oval. But thinking about the small narrow side and how the chela doesnt have a dent. I got myself a grrly

xxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 9:35 am

Ok. heterometrus longimanus scorpling is now 100% owned by moi.
Very dinky! I would say maybe 3I *going by the sizing I know from my imperators*
No tank for it though, currently living in a "deli cup" since they had sold out. When I get a bigger tank for Tabitha I will rehome Het into that tank *all fresh of course*

How lovely!

Im basically certain it is a "long claw" that the shops like to call since the claws are long *laughs*...think the little one had a black telson but I didnt get a look. When Cavimanus is rehomed, pictures will be taken

Currently sharing a heat mat with Cavimanus. Will spray tonight for water since no water bowl...might put in a bottle cap...

xxxxxxxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 2:53 pm

H. longimanus have a white telson when immature.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 3:02 pm

..............ok then I dont know what I have!
Telson is black!

Has "long claws" though and is about....an inch big *meaning mouth to base of tail*
xxx
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 3:10 pm

Whee.

Most Heterometrus spp. are hard to ID -- if you can get a good closeup of its carapace where you can see the granulation patterns, you may be able to match it to that key for the genus that's floating around on the internet somewhere (has detailed diagrams of the granulation for each species).
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 3:28 pm

Ok this thing is dinky dink...I will try to take pictures when he/she is being rehomed tomorrow. Cavimanus into bigger tank and this into the tank that is clearly too small for the cavimanus!
Seems a doscile little thing though!
UPSIDE down in the hide....doesnt move...tail curled under.

Sold as a "long claw" scorpion and online that is coming up as Iomachus politus but my little one doesnt look like that!

Now...there is a "heterometrus petersii" and 2 morphs of this...great. All I wanted was a H. Longimanus! My shop is useless!!!

*raises eyes to the ceiling*
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 4:27 pm

ok.
Lomachus politus is what the website is saying they are *where I bought them*...shame on me for not looking at their website properly!
A scorpion that likes lots of hides and vertical climbs!

Read on AB that they dont just stick to their "known" colours...

I will post pictures when I have some!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty6/10/2008, 6:51 pm

Keep in mind that IDing all but a few of the most common Heterometrus spp. is a royal pain in the butt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help With Shop Confusion   Help With Shop Confusion Empty

Back to top Go down

Help With Shop Confusion
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next