The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New scorpion confusion!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
shazforscott1
Pandinus

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2011-01-15

New scorpion confusion! Empty
PostSubject: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/1/2011, 3:24 pm

Hey guys i bought myself a new emperior scorpion today Smile But theres a few things i want to check up on. I have a rough idea but want to make sure. Do you use hot/warm or cold water when spraying his house and in his water bowl? Does he need to be in a dark place or light or does it not matter? How can you sex it? Because the shop assistant didnt have a clue about scorpions. How many crickets and how often a week? And some handy information for a bit of help Smile Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/1/2011, 4:25 pm

i use hot water in the sprayer when its spraying a fine mist because it cools down very quickly in the air. i put warm water in the bowl and on the substrate but not very warm.
take a few pictures of the underside of the scorpion and we will tell you male or female. no light but a heat mat on the BACK of the tank is a good idea.
try one or two crickets or preferably locusts once a week but remove them if they are uneaten the day after you put them in. they can go months without food if they feel like it.

have a look around the emp section on the forum for any other info.
put up some pictures of your tank too, then we can tell you what you may need to change.
Back to top Go down
shazforscott1
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/1/2011, 4:40 pm

_scorpio_ wrote:
i use hot water in the sprayer when its spraying a fine mist because it cools down very quickly in the air. i put warm water in the bowl and on the substrate but not very warm.
take a few pictures of the underside of the scorpion and we will tell you male or female. no light but a heat mat on the BACK of the tank is a good idea.
try one or two crickets or preferably locusts once a week but remove them if they are uneaten the day after you put them in. they can go months without food if they feel like it.

have a look around the emp section on the forum for any other info.
put up some pictures of your tank too, then we can tell you what you may need to change.

Thank you for the help. We put the heat mat at the back of the tank earlier as it can cook them. Lucky you said that as we put cold water in it`s bowl. At the moment we don`t have much in tank as the parts we have are down my boyfriends parents. Wanted to set it up and don`t want to leave it unsupervised so will be getting them tomorrow. But we have a reptile hide that you can buy in many places. Plenty of coco fibre for him to dig in. And was suprised that they don`t eat many crickets. Got a beardie aswell had him a year so always have crickets. Thank you for the help Smile Will figure out how to put a picture on here just want to leave him for a week or so to get used to the enviroment.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/1/2011, 4:52 pm

the temperature of the water doesnt actually matter really, but i use warm water when doing the water in my animal room (1 gallon every 2 days) because the beardies dont like drinking ice cold water lol!
Back to top Go down
shazforscott1
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/1/2011, 5:05 pm

Ah right well thank you for the help Smile Much apreciated Smile
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/1/2011, 5:34 pm

it sounds like so far you are actually doing everything right, which is a really rare thing on here with people new to scorp keeping.
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-13

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/2/2011, 3:06 am

_scorpio_ wrote:
it sounds like so far you are actually doing everything right, which is a really rare thing on here with people new to scorp keeping.

Unless you're like me and really nervous about getting something wrong, so you read up on crap-tons of information before buying anything. ;P

I've got an emperor, myself, and everything sounds fine to me! Just make sure if the hide is heavy, it won't crush the scorpion if he/she decides to burrow under it. =) I've had to be very careful about Edvin's water dish, because its large and completely stone.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/2/2011, 11:56 am

yes, but most people buy one, ask the (obviously reliable) shop what they need, and leave with whatever the shop felt like selling them.
then they research a bit.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty2/3/2011, 1:32 pm

If you want to sex it, you can also check out the pictures available in our sexing section:

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/f14-sexing-different-scorpion-species

There's quite a few resolved emp requests.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New scorpion confusion!   New scorpion confusion! Empty

Back to top Go down

New scorpion confusion!
Page 1 of 1