The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2012-04-01

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty
PostSubject: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/27/2012, 5:45 pm

Hello everyone!

I have had this female Opisthacanthus capensis for six months now and suspected she was gravid. She took her time to give birth and it seems if a 12 month gestation period is the norm of these guys.

I was checking her out two weeks ago and was wondering if she would ever pop. I took a shot of then, as you can see she looks quite gravid.

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Utf-8BSU1HXzU4ODAuSlBH

Last night I was showing someone part of the collection and as I took out this girls tub I noticed she was giving birth! I left her alone in a dark place noticing not all of the slings were on her back, and I wanted to minimize stress.

So I checked on her again today and all of the young have popped on her back or sides, but best of all is none are on the ground. I counted something around 13, but I will do a final count after they molt.

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Utf-8BSU1HXzU4OTIuSlBH

I will be keeping back at least half of this brood to see how well I can raise them and to monitor how quickly they grow. Keeping these guys is quite interesting I must say.
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/27/2012, 7:15 pm

I'm super jealous that they all got back on her. My recent experience with a ticked of Lq went much worse. But congrats pappa.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/27/2012, 7:31 pm

Thanks man.

These guys sorted themselves out without much assistance from me. I hope the rest of your Lq's pull through.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/28/2012, 11:10 am

Beautiful specimen. Congrats Justin Smile
Back to top Go down
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/28/2012, 11:15 am

Thanks GS!
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/28/2012, 4:32 pm

Well done dude!
Back to top Go down
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/29/2012, 9:35 am

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

I took some shots of the male eating, and you guys have no idea how rare it is for him to feed. Its the first time in four months or so that he ate. I'm glad he finally took, and I doubt he will eat again for another couple of months. I will keep offering every week to see if he eats.

Here he is when he first started to nibble on the B.lateralis.

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Utf-8BSU1HXzU1ODUuSlBH

And this is when the roach tried to get away. He got angry and gave it a nice shot.

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Utf-8BSU1HXzU1ODcuSlBH

If anyone has any questions about the species or how I keep them (substrate, temps, ect.) feel free to ask.
Back to top Go down
kfc223
Hadogenes
kfc223

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/30/2012, 6:03 am

I checked on the female last night and is she is doing well.

The brood is still on her back and should molt to 2i some time this week.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty10/30/2012, 11:03 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth   Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth Empty

Back to top Go down

Opisthacanthus capensis gave birth
Page 1 of 1