The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid

Go down 
+7
shebeen
toidy
Bakke84
shadowfoot
DolbyR
**GS**
Yames
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 9:23 am

gigglegiggle
Back to top Go down
Bakke84
Pandinus

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2012-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 2:31 pm

Nice P.T video GS, seen it before but it still is nice Smile

Love the p.t scorp, some of mine doesnt even use their sting.
They just grab it and starts eating, so narly hehe Wink
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2012-09-18

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 7:05 pm

Ok guys update. I got home from work and they are still alive and kicking on the paper towel. It was starting to dry out a bit so I added a few drops of water to the corner to keep it moist. then I put the whole deli cup back in with my HA. I've decided he is their new guardian.

How long till 1st molt which will make them 2nd instar? And after their first molt you are recommending individual cups? And what for substrate? Still misting the side of the cup every day or less frequently?
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com/
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 7:30 pm

Still a few more days to go before 2i. Individual is preferable and sand would be fine for 2i. Mist a lot less, once a week is enough.
Back to top Go down
toidy
Centruroides
toidy

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 8:40 pm

wish you all the luck man. happened to me with my liosoma before. sadly, just 1 survived..
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 9:31 pm

@ Toidy: 3 months ago I didn't own a scorpion. So if I can save even 1 with this worst case scenario I've been tossed into. Well I'll take that as a glowing victory.

And thanks everyone for your kind words.

Last edited by Yames on 10/24/2012, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forogot something)
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 9:59 pm

I did a count and I have 14 moving slings and 2 dead heads in my little enclosure. The paper towel is moist and my thermometer under their deli cup is reading 27.9 C so inside I'm guessing it's closer to 30 C.

I did move them off sand and onto just paper GS. The tiny shred of paper I had in there at first wasn't holding humidity through a 8 hour work day so this is the new set up.
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_sli10

This is one i found after work in mom enclosure she must have dropped at 9 when I was leaving for work? Or i missed it in my haste.

Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_sli11

And this is mom eating real food instead of her precious babies. Oh how I resent her bad parenting.

Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_sli12
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 10:02 pm

The two on the left bottom are the dead 2 and the one on the far right about middle isn't looking so hot either. The rest seem good so far...
Back to top Go down
toidy
Centruroides
toidy

Number of posts : 149
Registration date : 2012-07-28

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 10:09 pm

Yames wrote:
@ Toidy: 3 months ago I didn't own a scorpion. So if I can save even 1 with this worst case scenario I've been tossed into. Well I'll take that as a glowing victory.

And thanks everyone for your kind words.

true. just follow the tips that GS gave you and i think everything is going to be ok. Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/24/2012, 11:53 pm

Note that the key is locking in the humidity and ensure a steady warm temperature (estimate 75-85F) for the babies.

The paper towel can be slightly be on the moist side just before it enters the state of "soaking wet with puddles of water"

All the best for the kids makebetter
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/25/2012, 12:59 am

I've run my temp and humidity probes into tiny cord sized holes to get in the box real time stats. As of right now in my cup they are 30.1 C and %86 humidity. What do you think?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/25/2012, 1:05 am

Ideal thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/26/2012, 10:07 pm

Hey GS how many days does it take to go from new born to first molt? I opened the enclosure today and found that I'm down to 10 live guys and it seems that some white fuzzy mold that I couldn't see until I opened the lid had formed on those two dead ones. But sadly a 3rd one had gotten tangled in the fuzzy mold. it's pretty still but I don't want to risk tossing it out if it's just slowing down because of a pre molt. I also don't wan to leave dead specimens in the enclosure to possibly create a more sever mold issue.

As it is now the ones that are suspiciously still have been sectioned off about 1/2 inch from the ones that are lively.

Any suggestions from anyone?
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 1:20 am

I started to try and look up the answer to my question and I'm finding a 10 day estimate. But I'm not sure if that applies to big ole forest scorps or desert or all of the above. So anyone with a bit of knowledge for desert guys 1st to 2nd instar and 2nd to 3rd and so on I would really appreciate it. Not that I'll hold ya to it I just would like a general idea of the rate they will grow at.
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 1:32 am

Yes, remove any dead ones from the enclosure to prevent molt and mites.

Can't help you with the molt times for Lq, each specie is pretty different. Some scorpionidae can take 2 weeks, while some buthids molt in 3 days.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 11:28 am

Apparently I just need to have a chat with DolbyR about it to make my guys understand that I mean business. I checked the state of my union this morning at 11:20 Am and 7 of my little guys have molted over night. 2 are stuck to each other and a few left around molts which may be causing them some difficulty. I will monitor them for 4-6 hours and help if needed but the other 7 did it themselves in under 8 hours so that is the benchmark.

So without further procrastination I give you 2nd instar Lq's
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_fir10
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_fir11
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_fir12
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 12:06 pm

So I've been looking into housing now for these 7 to potentially 9 specimens. I have deli cups but they seem big and bulky to hold. I really like that tackle box method GS showed in the AA forum.

What kind of substrate are we recommending? I have some zoo med Sahara which is nice to me. So zoo med Gobi orange sand which seems fluffy and half full of icing sugar as I can't think of a better way to describe it. It makes dust clouds which smell sweet. I'm pretty sure i hate it. I have excavator clay and finally the 2 deli cups worth of sand and earth mix the dealer had my Lq and P.li living on. What should I use in my tackle box set up?

What are my temps and humidity goals for 2nd instar Lq's? And I'm planning a pin head feeding in about 5 more days does that sound right?
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 2:43 pm

The tackle-box method is great in terms of raising scorplings up fast with regular feeding, weekly light mist and a stable temperature. Substrate wise, normal play sand would suffice.

My recommendation would be using pure coco fibre/peat dry substrate. While raising these juvenile desert scorpions from 2-5.instar, always keep at least 1/4 of the substrate surface slightly moist. I love that there's great color contrast between dry/wet coco fibre/peat substrate. Easy tracking on water provisiong for us keepers.

Fyi, LQs are one of those desert scorpions which would be contented with just hiding below a piece of slate/ bark, with pure sand substrate of 3-5cm (minimum requirement).

However, If you can afford to allocate more space e.g. bigger enclosures like individual deli-container/ kritter keeper (double tanked recommended), go ahead and test it out with clay/sand mixture, or deeper substrate. They are good/fun to have but not a need, so to speak.

Estimated, these LQ babies should be ready to feed between 7-12 days after their successful molt to 2.instar.

Congrats for a great job saving majority of these 1.instar LQ babies! Smile
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 3:01 pm

Thanks GS as we speak they are in sand with 1 corner getting a few drops of water to be noticeably moist. I've run my probes again into one of the enclosures and it's running 30.1 degree C and %67 humidity. Is that all good?
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 3:27 pm

Ok it's picture time again.
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd10
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd11
You can see here the moist corner
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd12
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd13
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd14
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd15
Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Lq_2nd16

You can see how the first and last pics they are sitting right in the location I eye dropped the water in. How do you guys go about misting the sides? My mister would be a fire hose to these pour little guys and I can't control it that well. I would however like to get some droplets on the side of the enclosure to allow for drinking.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/27/2012, 4:54 pm

Congrats man. They are looking great!
I use a small mister for my slings which fires a lot less water and in a smaller area than the one I use for my adult scorpions and snakes. Any gardening shop should have a wide variety of sizes.
Back to top Go down
Bakke84
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/28/2012, 2:34 am

Be careful with when feeding later on.
I tried the tackle box once and never again.
I ended up having 4 lq crawling out of it really fast.

And they can dig under the bars, atleast the ones ive tried.

Good work so far:-)
Back to top Go down
Yames
Tityus
Yames

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/28/2012, 2:38 am

It's funny you mention that I was thinking that myself when I looked at the material. I though I bet they can climb this real easy. So I'm working on some deeper deli cups with screen lids for when they get a little bigger. But for now they aren't able to climb up the dividers.

Edit: Actually in pic 1 you can see the future deli cups enclosure prototype. I've named it the GS 3000.
Back to top Go down
Bakke84
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/28/2012, 3:12 am

Hehe nice name :-)

Nah they probly wont climb in a while.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty10/28/2012, 3:57 am

Yames wrote:
Thanks GS as we speak they are in sand with 1 corner getting a few drops of water to be noticeably moist. I've run my probes again into one of the enclosures and it's running 30.1 degree C and %67 humidity. Is that all good?
It's good Smile
Do note that when the temp is kept constant at this level, the substrate might dry up easily, keep a close watch on how fast the moist corner dries up and you may adjust your misting interval accordingly.

It's safer to use those with fix partition so that the scorplings will not find any bulging edges to aid in their escape plan.

And of course, the deli-container might suit you better in your scenario. I believe you would prefer more room for specimens which mean alot to you.

E.g. I had my rare Andro sp scorplings raised in deli-container which i'll have some room to place a hide and a small bottle cap with pebbles for drinking. Container's lid is wire meshed for unrestrictive air ventilation.
These specimens will then be shifted to glass tank enclosures at adulthood.

The tackle box method may be more suited for mass breeding of a larger brood which you will not feel bad with a few accidental losses.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid   Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Lq Birth??? didn't know it was gravid
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next