The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

emp scorpion looking pregnant!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-03-26

emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty
PostSubject: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty10/12/2012, 11:08 pm

I posted awhile ago, like months ago about recently purchased scorpions, i thought one was pregnant now they are visibly showing the only problem is i had 3 2 males and one female and the male which i thought was the male looks pregnant ( i may have mistaken the male for a female) my main question is after they start showing how long do i have to wait for them to give birth? also when should i separate the males from the females also should i separate the two pregnant females? HELP! thank you! if you help and are in the NY area i will give you a baby for free lol ineed help so bad!
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty10/13/2012, 4:25 am

Hey, welcome back Smile

First, have you correctly ID'ed their sex by their genital operculum?

Upon successful mating, their gestation may range from 10-24 months.

For your scenario, i'll say leave things as they are, the males can be separate after the female gave birth, or if the gravid female is showing aggression to her "tank mates"

Free scorpling huh, i'm sure several response will come shortly :p
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty10/13/2012, 3:28 pm

sp1int3r wrote:
I posted awhile ago, like months ago about recently purchased scorpions
Welcome back. Smile

Quote :
i thought one was pregnant now they are visibly showing the only problem is i had 3 2 males and one female and the male which i thought was the male looks pregnant ( i may have mistaken the male for a female)

First off, congrats if it is indeed gravid.

Feel free to post pictures if you're unsure of the sex. Also, in a communal tank, it's not difficult to confuse the scorps with each other. So, you may have indeed sexed them correctly but simply mixed up the scorps.

Do you have pics? We may be able to guess how far into gestation she is.

Quote :
my main question is after they start showing how long do i have to wait for them to give birth?
As GS said, the gestation is fairly long, anywhere from eight months to well over a year. (Most average around 9-12 months.)

Quote :
also when should i separate the males from the females also should i separate the two pregnant females? HELP! thank you!
As GS said, there are several things you can do. You could separate now, you could wait and see if the female becomes aggressive, or (if she does not become aggressive) you can separate after the female gives birth.

You also have several options for raising them.

1.) You can separate the scorplings into individual containers.
The advantages to this is that there is zero risk of cannibalism. The disadvantage is that they will grow considerably more slowly than if they were housed communally.

2.) You can house the slings communally within themselves. (Communal setup, minus the mother.)
The advantages to this are: you will not have to buy a ton of little containers and that the slings will grow more quickly. The disadvantage is that there's a higher risk of cannibalism.

3.) You can house the slings communally with their mother. The advantages to this are: fastest growth rate of all setups and you will not have to buy a ton of little containers. The disadvantage is that the risk of cannibalism is the highest with this setup, both from the other scorplings and from the mother.

However, the cannibalism risk is relatively low if enclosure settings are optimal, along with proper feeding intervals to ensure specimens are well-fed.
Keep in mind that "ALL scorpions are communal, until they are NOT."

Quote :
if you help and are in the NY area i will give you a baby for free lol ineed help so bad!
As tempting as it is, I think my family will kill me if I get any more inverts. Neutral

Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty10/16/2012, 3:35 pm

thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it ! i will post pictures up soon! are you sure you don't want another ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty10/16/2012, 7:20 pm

sp1int3r wrote:
thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it ! i will post pictures up soon!

You're welcome. Very Happy

Quote :
Are you sure you don't want another ? Very Happy

I wish I could.....but between all the schoolwork I have, and my parents not wanting be to get another..... Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
sp1int3r
Hadogenes
sp1int3r

PostSubject: Re: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty10/31/2012, 2:37 pm

pics to come soon, dont have power because of the hurricane. the male in the cage seems to keep trying to escape i think the females are bullying him i will move him once power comes back
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: emp scorpion looking pregnant!   emp scorpion looking pregnant! Empty

Back to top Go down

emp scorpion looking pregnant!
Page 1 of 1