The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Predicament with Humdity/Temp

Go down 
+5
Scott Land
EWom
jmoran1097
Rasputin
Venom
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty
PostSubject: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 5:13 pm

I have Amourexi, LQ, and Mauritanicus

It's really humid.

I put the light closer to the ground and the humidty goes to about 60
but the temp rises to over 100

Then I try to lower the temp buy moving the lamp away and the humidity rises to about 70~

What should I care about more?
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

Number of posts : 1051
Registration date : 2008-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 5:21 pm

what are you housing them on (substrate)? how are the enclosures getting moisture? got pic of the enclosures?
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 5:39 pm

you should honestly care more about humidity than anything, but like rasputin, a pic or description of the substrate will do wonders.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/moranspace
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 5:43 pm

jmoran1097 wrote:
you should honestly care more about humidity than anything, but like rasputin, a pic or description of the substrate will do wonders.

one hand's gonna wash the other when talking about rh/temp combo

Last edited by Rasputin on 6/6/2008, 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 5:47 pm

wait, what? i don't understand what you're trying to say.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 6:10 pm

jmoran1097 wrote:

rh is affected by temp // we must first know where the moisture is coming from (the air, the substrate, other playing factors) - then we must do what is necessary to change this while taking in mind that heat will reduce the rh - we must calculate that into the equation. the temp is a playing factor in the well being of an animal so naturally we can't throw the heat question out. I personally say that both are equally as important
Back to top Go down
EWom
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2008-05-23

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 6:43 pm

Exactly, it's just like with herps. If you have temps too high the animal may die from over heating, if the humidity is too high or low they can develop serious breathing conditions. Either one is something that could be potentially harmful or fatal to your animal if it isn't what the animal has evolved to live in.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 7:03 pm

It's from the the weather.
It's like 90%

I bone dry sand
My setup

Predicament with Humdity/Temp DSC02093

I have them clamped to the sides now though since I don't want them to burn
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 7:07 pm

I can see the moisture in your sand. personally, I would remove all the sand and dry it out in the oven spread out on a baking sheet and let it cool down, then add only about 50% of it back. you'll notice an immediate improvement
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 7:09 pm

That was the first day man. Back in March
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 7:16 pm

ah. remove at least 50% of the sand anyways. you don't have a false bottom or anything do you?
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 7:55 pm

Now with them
That's what I was thinking of doing too.
This will be a humid summer -_-
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 11:15 pm

Venom,
The humidity/temp gages you are using do not work well and it should be checked on the sand not above it.Using 2 lights in such a confined space is dangerous I would get rid of those and like Benny said take out most of that sand.

As long as there is good airflow and temps do not dip below 50 they will be fine and only give them a cap of water every few weeks over 1 night.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/5/2008, 11:20 pm

yeah, what Scott said

nobody ever listens to me. grumble, grumble. at least Scott agrees with me
Back to top Go down
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 9:39 am

Rasputin wrote:
jmoran1097 wrote:

rh is affected by temp // we must first know where the moisture is coming from (the air, the substrate, other playing factors) - then we must do what is necessary to change this while taking in mind that heat will reduce the rh - we must calculate that into the equation. the temp is a playing factor in the well being of an animal so naturally we can't throw the heat question out. I personally say that both are equally as important

haha i already knew this. i was referring to whatever you were trying to say in that sentence since it wasn't punctuated correctly.

i was like "huh?"

anyways, thanks for clearing up what you meant to say.
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 10:20 am

It's 90%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 10:39 am

What about a false bottom set-up with no water. Keeping the actual substrate 2-3 inched of the tank floor. That might increase ventilation.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
jmoran1097
Hadogenes
jmoran1097

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 10:47 am

i think that removing a large portion of all that sand will do wonders. The more sand you have, the more chances you have for accumulating moisture since it's all compacted.
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 12:32 pm

jmoran1097 wrote:

haha i already knew this. i was referring to whatever you were trying to say in that sentence since it wasn't punctuated correctly.

i was like "huh?"

anyways, thanks for clearing up what you meant to say.

I looked at it again and there was a misspelling.

~Abyss~ wrote:
What about a false bottom set-up with no water. Keeping the actual substrate 2-3 inched of the tank floor. That might increase ventilation.

a fan would be better. or to use acrylic enclosures with holes drilled in the sides and the top for full circulation.

jmoran1097 wrote:
i think that removing a large portion of all that sand will do wonders. The more sand you have, the more chances you have for accumulating moisture since it's all compacted.

like I said in my post after Scott's in the really small letters..."nobody ever listens to me" - the sand was the first thing mentioned

90% is insane, I've never seen such numbers. I'm akin to think that your hygrometer is broken
Back to top Go down
Scott Land
Tityus
Scott Land

Number of posts : 578
Registration date : 2008-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 3:12 pm

Best thing is throw out the gages(they only cause worry and are useless) and lights ,also reduce the sand .As long as there is no standing water and the sand is dry then there is nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 3:31 pm

even my imperial humidity isnt that high. sure the gage is wrong or broken?
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 3:51 pm

you cant normal trust does.. just throw it out the window i say... i messur abit by hand, take a fist full.. give a good squeese if water comes out its too wet, if only a drop comes out its good.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Rasputin
Parabuthus

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 4:05 pm

Kejser wrote:
you cant normal trust does.. just throw it out the window i say... i messur abit by hand, take a fist full.. give a good squeese if water comes out its too wet, if only a drop comes out its good.. Very Happy

in regions where his scorps are natvie the only reason the scorps burrow is because surface temps can reach 130F/54.5C and they burrow to escape the heat. the sand in those regions have a humidity of 0%-25% rarely reaching up to 50% outside the monsoon season - if you squeeze the sand and a drop of water comes out then you are well over 50% humidity in the sand. I've actually used those exact same hygrometers without a problem in the past but they are known to fail often and I'm willing to say that it's time to toss them and if you are going to get a hygrometer then go digital. still, try what I mentioned about removing the sand - less substrate = less room to hold humidity and then the heat lamps will dry the air. the reason you don't actually need a ton of substrate is because you aren't pushing the surface temps to 130F to cause the scorps to burrow in order to escape the heat.
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 5:39 pm

i agree with rasputn the best way to go from here has got to be getting a digital hygrometer, iv never trusted those ones you can stick on they never seem to work for me, first time i tried to use one it constantly said it was 60% humidity then got digital n it was actually 85% (pandinus imperator tank)
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty6/6/2008, 7:54 pm

I lowered the sadn, raised the lights.
In the pictues it was like 50 degrees inside that room.

And when I said 90% i meant in the Chicago area.
The inside says 60%
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Predicament with Humdity/Temp   Predicament with Humdity/Temp Empty

Back to top Go down

Predicament with Humdity/Temp
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next