The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

new baby spider, help

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

new baby spider, help Empty
PostSubject: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/25/2012, 3:36 pm

hello everyone, i just got two baby G.rosea in the mail from ken the bug guy, one of them is doing good, but the second one is either dead or molting, its legs moved when i unpacked it, but its laying on its back. i dont know if its dead or alive. but i never had a baby spider before so can someone tell me how to take care of it. its .25 inches, its legspan is almost half an inch. i have it in a deli container with coco fiber substrate and a piece of a cup as a hide. and i poured a little bit of water on one side of the substrate to give it humidity incase it decides to molt, petco has small and large crickets, the small crickets are a tiny bit smaller then the tarantula so im hoping there not to big, but if i buy like 5 or 10 small crickets i can pick out the smallest one to feed to the tarantula. but other then that is there anything i need to know to take care of the baby spider ?? also i dont know how often to feed it , i was thinking one small cricket once every 7 days ??? and how often do they molt ??? and how long after molting untill i can feed it ???? how long can baby tarantulas go without food ????
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/25/2012, 3:42 pm

I have an adult G. Porteri (Same thing pretty much) but I don't have any experience with slings. If you can get a hold of Peloquin though, that boy knows his stuff when it comes to Spiders. He'll steer you right. I would send him a PM and see what he says. Good Luck!
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/25/2012, 4:29 pm

i dont know who that is and i dont know how to look people up , im just trying to find someone who can answer all my questions that i posted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/25/2012, 11:06 pm

Quote :
i dont know how often to feed it , i was thinking one small cricket once every 7 days ???
Feeding-wise, offer one cricket (size no bigger than the tarantula's abdomen) every 4-6 days. When the sling starts to reject or ignore the food, remove the cricket and try again in another four days. If the sling still rejects food and stays hidden, it might be preparing for a molt.

Quote :
how often do they molt ???
Slings of legspan 1/2 inch may molt every 3-7 weeks depending on how "tight" is your feeding schedule. E.g a sling which was fed once every 4-6 days might molt faster than one which was fed once every week. As the sling grows bigger, the molt interval increases.

Quote :
how long after molting untill i can feed it ????
Generally, it's safe to offer food seven days after it's recent molt. Once their fangs harden, they're ready to hunt.

Quote :
how long can baby tarantulas go without food ????
There should be no danger if they slings was fed within two weeks (provided that the other enclosure condition was ideal e.g. Correct temperature and provision of water e.g misting a side of the enclosure wall)

Quote :
is there anything i need to know to take care of the baby spider ??
First thing, don't panic! It cripples you of your natural judgement on how to keep things right. Next, always search for the specific tarantula caresheet using google, and this is what i found for you:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?5292-Rose-Hair-Owners-Please-Read!-How-to-REALLY-take-care-of-your-G.-rosea

Things to note:
1. Try to separate your post/questions in different paragraphs. It allows other forumers to read your questions easily when they are divided into smaller chunks.

2. It has been advised to you before, you may wish to learn to search for basic information for the first cut. if what comes up from the searches did not answer your questions, then, please feel free to make a post.

You may use the same methods below when you're hunting for tarantula information. Click on the following link for the guide:
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t8015-how-to-search-for-scorpion-s-information

Pm me if you are unsure and i will guide you personally.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/26/2012, 6:59 am

thanks GS
Back to top Go down
WyattEarp4137
Babycurus
WyattEarp4137

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2011-05-16

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/26/2012, 10:09 pm

LOL I figured someone a little better equipped would take over for me. Sorry I couldn't help you man.

-Wyatt
Back to top Go down
robert44
Tityus

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2012-08-25

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty9/26/2012, 10:23 pm

Petco sells small mealworms that might be a good size for your slings. If your slings will eat them, they are very slow growing in the fridge. Sometimes the small crickets will vary a lot from one batch to another as they grow fast. Keep in mind though that it is best not to feed exclusively mealworms. It might be handy to keep some around in case you can't find crickets small enough.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty10/12/2012, 10:40 pm

i buy like 15 or 30 crickets and pick out the smallest one, and feed the bigger ones to my dune scorpion. the baby tarantula hasnt ate yet since i had it. im worried about it not eating, tomorow im going to leave the cricket in all night, becuase when i leave it in an hour or two the spider doesnt eat it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new baby spider, help   new baby spider, help Empty

Back to top Go down

new baby spider, help
Page 1 of 1