A lot of us collect them, and a lot of know what we are doing, some of us may not be as expierienced, and might have some questions regarding some of the potential risks of collecting venomous species.
Lets start with antivenin (antivenom) and possible envenomation:
-are you allergic? Is there a possibility that you might be allergic?
If you are, and are envenomated, anaphylactic shock becomes a huge concern as your body can react violently to the foreign proteins(venom) causing organs to fail.
What kind of venom? where is this venom found naturally?
Some of the coolest scorpions ie: A. Australis, A. Bicolor, have some very potent and highly effective neurotoxins, An amazing but deadly cocktail of complex proteins that can effect the way your brain sends synapse responses (imagine theres an electrical wire in front of you and you can see electricity running to and from either end, now you take a sharp piece of plastic, and split the connection. the electricity is no longer able to freely flow from one end to the other, failing the connection. ok now picture millions of the wires in your brain, and the venom is the plastic that cuts the connection. well when these connections fail, so does your body functions, organs fail, and serious symptoms follow, paralysis is a real possibility, stroke, kidney, liver failure. big time booboo.
some scorpions have hemotoxic venom, which breaks down the hemoglobin( the glue that keeps your blood/tissue cells together) and basically breaks down living tissues. this can lead to the loss of an arm or a leg! or worse!
cytotoxicity (toxic quality)in scorpions is really impressive, and can possibly cause some very serious health problems, and yes they do, and have killed people
There are other venom classifications out tthere, I used these for an example as they are the most common.
ENVENOMATION! It happens, and when it does. STAY CALM!
If you are going to collect hots, understand that TIME IS KEY to improved survivability!
Have all of your emergency contact numbers on hand (tape them to a wall close by) The last thing you wanna do is scramble around the house like a chicken with its head cut off.
Know what envenomated you! Stay calm and inform authorities the best you can.
DO NOT WITH HOLD ANY INFORMATION! It could be ILLEGAL to house venomous specimens in your area! check local and state laws! the last thing you want to do is freak out at the thought of going to jail, and forget to mention vital information that could save your live and/or the lives of those around you. I would rather be in jail, then be dead.
STAY CALM! relax, if your freaked, your heart will pump faster, thus the venom is going do its job a lot faster. keep the sting area below your heart if you can, and NEVER cover or wrap the wound, This can lead to whole new set of issues including infection.
I ALWAYS have a VENOM EXTRACTOR in my venomous workbench, get one! Learn to use it effectively. THIS IS NOT A REMEDY! HOWEVER IT CAN REMOVE SOME OF THE VENOM, which in turn will improve your chances at surviving.
ANTIVENOM: Unless you have a private reserve, or the "Hot" is local, the chances of you receiving antivenin is less than slim to none! Air evac may be needed and you could be in a world of hurt for 24-48 hours.
Hospital bills: $10,000.00- $100,000.00 you will be in debt for a very long time!
Ok so now that we understand that keeping hots is dangerous, and down right silly, lets make sure we go over proper housing.
HOUSING HOTS: The golden rule is: "if it can get in, it can get out" . you wouldnt want to wake up and find an empty container in your house. Its happened to me and I know all to well what can happen at that point. Ever evacuated your friends/family from the property so you can 'find" your lost treasure? LOL NOT FUN!
I NEVER USE GLASS. neither should you! COMMON SENSE!
pore-less construction. NO climbing allowed
DUCT-TAPE! This is your best friend! I use it to secure EVERYTHING! (cut it off, do not try and remove it, all your guuna do is jerk the housing around, possibly flinging a hot across the room.
When you need to feed, you remove a piece of tape and squeeze crickets into the air holes which i adjust in size with tape (tape both sides of the lid for a secure seal), for cleaning, I cut the tape with a razor, re-secure the hot in a large storage bin, and then proceed to "refreshing" the container.
Anything long that they cant attach themselves to. I never grab them with forceps ( they have a tendency to fling themselves at you) instead i scoot them into a large deli cup, close it up ant transfer to a large temp bin.
I currently have 11 hots, and each one is different every time I work with them.
GOODLUCK and BE SAFE!