The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Food

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MrTisdale
Pandinus
MrTisdale

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2012-06-15

Food Empty
PostSubject: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 5:13 pm

Ok so after reading iv found that roaches are the best source of food for an emperor scorpion along with crickets and superworms.. Only problem is there are no local petshops that offer any kinda of roach... I have one Emperor scorpion which to my knowledge is an adult. Can someone give me a link to where i can maybe order some and what kind i need to get thats best. Or could i simply not feed it roaches either way i wanna do whats best. So if i need them ill order them lol.

Thanks, Brian
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 5:46 pm

They really aren't picky, if you find roaches hard to find then use something more accessible to you.
Back to top Go down
wodesorel
Hadogenes
wodesorel

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 7:39 pm

I've tried roaches with mine, and it's a mixed bag. My year-old boys won't eat any roach of any kind, and my mother scorp won't touch lateralis roaches but very much enjoys a nice full-grown dubia. There are several websites out there that provide feeder roaches. (I've ordered personally from DoubleD's and RoachCrossing.) Breeding roaches for one scorp though really is overkill unless you find a way to get rid of the excess. I finally got rid of the lats as they were too much work for having nothing that ate them.

Course, roaches in themselves are fun..... Started with the feeders for the emps and now I have 11 different species of them... lol
Back to top Go down
MrTisdale
Pandinus
MrTisdale

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 8:28 pm

yeah ill do w.e i gotta do hopefully i can conveince the wife to let me get more scorpions haha im addicted and iv only been doing this for a week.

I still cant believe that nobody here n my town sells them. Even the pet shop i got the scorpion from doesnt have them.
Back to top Go down
MrTisdale
Pandinus
MrTisdale

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 8:30 pm

how long will it take for 1 emp scorpion adult to eat 25 dubia roachers
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 9:40 pm

MrTisdale wrote:
how long will it take for 1 emp scorpion adult to eat 25 dubia roachers
If it's me, I'll feed a maximum of only 1 adult roach every 7-10 days for an adult Pandinus imperator so i guess it could last quite a few months for me. Whats your plan? Smile

lycanlord wrote:
They really aren't picky, if you find roaches hard to find then use something more accessible to you.
+1
Back to top Go down
MrTisdale
Pandinus
MrTisdale

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/20/2012, 10:43 pm

well i found a site black water reptiles

and you can get 25 for a decent price.. it also says they breed pretty quick given the right temperature. i figure if i get 25 i can keep the population under control because i have a bearded dragon could eat 5-8 of em a day. would be free food for both of them if i did it right.

What i give now to my bearded dragon are superworms and crickets to the scorpion.. I was breeding crickets for the longest time had over 1500 of them but they had a bad odor and i was finding them all over the house so i stopped.

If Roaches are the best thing to give your scorpion's id rather do that and provide her with the right nutrients she needs.

Thats wat im thinkin idk yet though haha
Back to top Go down
wodesorel
Hadogenes
wodesorel

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2011-07-11

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty6/21/2012, 4:30 am

My dubia have absolutely no odor, but I keep them in a big tub with peat moss and dried oak and maple leaves rather than the classic egg crate and bare bottomed tub. The warmer they are the faster they mature and reproduce, so try to keep them between 80 and 90. At around 85 degrees adults take about six months to mature and then they can pump out about 30 young every month or so. (It's the same set-up as a scorp tank but with less moist, looser substrate.)

My colony is still getting up to speed, and I started with 24 nymphs in November. I've only got around 350 of them now, and I did actually count them a few weeks ago as I was curious to how they were doing. And that's with having fed only a couple adult males to FemScorp. The original female nymphs have just started pumping out babies, so I'm expecting the numbers to get crazy in the next few months.

If you're looking to get up to speed faster, you might want to look into ordering a hundred mixed or even all adults as that will get you the breeding females you need to keep the numbers going!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Food Empty
PostSubject: Re: Food   Food Empty

Back to top Go down

Food
Page 1 of 1