The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Vaejovis carolinianus.

Go down 
+4
shadowfoot
Scorpion19981000
Den
Callum B
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

Number of posts : 1096
Registration date : 2008-09-21

Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty
PostSubject: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/1/2012, 8:57 am

Hello,

the spider shop here in the UK seem's to have got some very nice and rare (over here) North American species in and my student loan has just been paid !!!!

Anyway, does anyone have any info. on V. carolinianus care. I've had a bit of a search about but info on this species seems to be fairly scarce.

So far I have come to the conclusion of a substrate of soil/coir that is kept slightly damp, a few pieces of bark for hides and a waterdish always available. Temperatures in the mid 20c's during summer and maybe a slight drop in winter.

Am I close lol?

Back to top Go down
Den
Babycurus
Den

Number of posts : 290
Registration date : 2011-10-27

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/1/2012, 10:48 am

I had some of those years ago..Can't recall there being any kind of problem with them. I didn't keep them on moist substrate though, i just dampened one area plus a water bowl that wasn't allowed to dry out. Temps would have been around the same you mentioned.

However if you have read a few places that they need a moist substrate then i'd go with that if i was you..

Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/1/2012, 11:27 am

Cheers Den,

I found a SOTM for them over on venomlist. Damp substrate and temps mid to high 20c's is what is recommended.

I've put an order for three in as it seems they are very communal. Fingers crossed for there to be at least one female in the group.
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/1/2012, 4:26 pm

Good luck with them, Callum!
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/4/2012, 7:37 am

Scorpion19981000 wrote:
Good luck with them, Callum!

Cheers man.

Three arrived today plus two juvenile Smeringus vachoni awesome

I'll put up a few pics later.

I'm going to keep the V. carolinianus seperate until I receive my custom aquaria tanks in a few weeks. They'll then be going into a lovely naturalistic enclosure.

Does anyone know of a reliable way to sex them or know the pectinal counts? The best I've found is that males have more bulbous/larger chelae but, like using this method for my Euscorpius spp., it's fairly hard to tell the difference, especially with them being such small scorpions. If only the males had huge vesicles like the Euscorpius do lol, they are by far one the easiest scorpions to sex.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

Number of posts : 1296
Registration date : 2012-01-18

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/4/2012, 7:46 am

Good luck with all the new scorps Callum, cant wait for some pics.
I should really send some Opisthacanthus capensis your way as it looks like you go the extra mile for your scorps.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/4/2012, 1:57 pm

shadowfoot wrote:
I should really send some Opisthacanthus capensis your way as it looks like you go the extra mile for your scorps.

Cheers man. Some O. capensis would be nice, although I'm sure the ZAF customs wouldn't be to happy about them leaving the country.

Some piccies as promised. These guys are very cute, I can't wait until I move them into a more interesting enclosure.

Vaejovis carolinianus. DSCN1180

Vaejovis carolinianus. DSCN1176

Vaejovis carolinianus. DSCN1167
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/4/2012, 4:04 pm

Nice pics Callum.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/4/2012, 4:26 pm

Callum B wrote:
shadowfoot wrote:

Cheers man. Some O. capensis would be nice, although I'm sure the ZAF customs wouldn't be to happy about them leaving the country.
Thats true... Which sucks.
Awesome looking scorpions Callum.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/5/2012, 1:12 pm

nice pics Smile i like the look of these, Smile
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/6/2012, 9:20 pm

*~BEX~* wrote:
+1

They have this "sturdy tank" look imo.. lolz

Are the pictures daylight shots Callum? Love them Smile
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/7/2012, 5:24 pm

GS wrote:
*~BEX~* wrote:
+1

They have this "sturdy tank" look imo.. lolz

Are the pictures daylight shots Callum? Love them Smile

They've got a good tail in my opinion lol. Nice and solid looking.

They're daylight shots GS. I sit in a window in my house to do it which makes me look like a right perve. I've had some very strange looks from my neighbours whilst sat in my window with a camera lol.

I'm starting to fall out with the camera though. Occasionally I'll get a picture that I'm happy with but not have a clue how I managed it. I'll try and recreate what I did and it'll be terrible. I haven't a clue what most of the settings do on the camera which is the main problem lol.
Back to top Go down
shadowfoot
Parabuthus
shadowfoot

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/7/2012, 5:59 pm

Callum B wrote:

I'm starting to fall out with the camera though. Occasionally I'll get a picture that I'm happy with but not have a clue how I managed it. I'll try and recreate what I did and it'll be terrible. I haven't a clue what most of the settings do on the camera which is the main problem lol.
Callum, I have the same problem with my camera as well so you're not alone there. I always get one pic out of about 10 and think to myself, 'how the hell did I do that?' Even though all the photos were taken from the same angle with the same exposure and what not. My camera's settings scares me to death so I dare not touch them.
Back to top Go down
F1refly
Hadogenes
F1refly

Number of posts : 99
Registration date : 2012-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/29/2012, 4:31 am

Same here Shadowfoot. Except I have gotten some good pictures out of mine.
What are the laws with Highly Venomous scorpions there Callum? I know Venomous snakes aren't allowed in Shows there. Is it the same with Dangerous Scorpions in the UK?
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty5/29/2012, 4:40 am

All Buthidae, plus Hemiscorpius lepturus require a licence to keep here.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 12:45 pm

Nice species and pics Callum, so nice I just ordered myself 3. Very Happy Only just seen the new stuff spider shop has so got a few bits coming friday.

Managed to sex yours yet? Hoping to get a pair out of the 3.
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 12:54 pm

Where's thy been for ages lol??

No not had a go at sexing them yet but now that I've got a bit more time on my hands I'll have a go.

I've also had a few more things from them. I couldn't help myself lol.

Have you already put your order in as I've got a few 10% discount codes?
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 1:34 pm

Lol been about mate but just been busy with work, fishing and keeping everything fed. Got that itch back again though for some more scorps Very Happy

Damn! Placed the order at work earlier, that code would have came in handy, could have got an extra scorp on top for nothing lol. Got back home to search for some info on these and realised you'd posted this not long ago.

They have got some really tempting stuff on there at the moment, P. xanthus are nice. What else tempted you? lol I had to limit my self and stuck with what I know, more S. measeansis and H. spinigerus and the V. carolinianus are new to me.
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 1:46 pm

Oh well, maybe next time lol.

I got a couple of the Smeringus vachoni. I thought they were going to be adults but they look to be a moult or 3 off maturity lol. Then went to the BTS show and came home with a trio of Superstitiona donensis. These are my favourite out of the bunch.

The V. carolinianus seem easy to deal with anyway. All 3 of mine are great eaters and very fiesty but man, if they breed the babies are going to be small lol.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 1:55 pm

Yeah those S. donensis look really neat was tempted by those, got some crazy markings on them, nice. Definitely want to see some pics of those! Same with the S. vachoni really. Have you kept S. mesaensis before, would like to know how they compare to those, one of my fav scorps.

Oh no I hate tiny babies lol difficult to care for. Are they really that small? S. donensis are even smaller aren't they. Were not talking celebensis small here are we? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 2:06 pm

No they're not as small as C. celebensis but they're not far off lol. Yer the S. donensis are tiny, even smaller than C. celebensis. Yaaaaaay haha. I've put some pics of them up in the pics section I think.

The S. vachoni are very similar to my S. mesaensis except a different colour. Very quick, highly inactive/spend all their time underground but worth having because they're very nice scorpions.

Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty6/6/2012, 2:23 pm

Ah right I shall check those out, still trying to get back up to date with the forum.

Yep that sounds very typical Smeringurus, just love how quick they are and pretty aggressive to prey. Don't expect those to molt too soon then, I've had a S. mesaensis in premolt for so long I've forgotten how long it's been lol at least 8 months. Every day I peer in there thinking have you exploded yet? Nope just got fatter! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty7/31/2012, 5:57 am

Well, checked on my V. carolinianus this morning to find lots of freaking TINY 2i babies just starting to leave mums back! Hoping I'm not too late for pics on mums back when I finish work tonight, they're definitely the smallest scorps I've ever seen...and they all need feeding...oh great! lol...

A nice surprise after last time I checked threw up a half eaten tank mate. Needless to say if you suspect gravid, separate! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Callum B
Administrator
Callum B

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty7/31/2012, 10:43 am

Congrats man!! All three of mine turned out to be gravid females so I'm unundated with babies. Very glad I kept them seperate now, unlucky with that but at least you've got a brood.

The young take pin heads no problem.
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty7/31/2012, 11:26 am

Grats on that too, so you got 3 broods, nice!

Yeah they seem pretty independent already.

Popped back for lunch and had another check on them just now and I found the other one with a brood of just 2 babies, one on the, back one off. They look slightly bigger than this other larger brood so probably found this one a bit late and lost a few to either one of the mums. They're still together with both brood, I really should listen to my own advise. Very Happy

I'll stick pics in here later if that's alright with you, save making a new thread.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Vaejovis carolinianus.   Vaejovis carolinianus. Empty

Back to top Go down

Vaejovis carolinianus.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next