The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Pregnant or not?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Scorpderp25
Hadogenes
Scorpderp25

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-12-27

Pregnant or not? Empty
PostSubject: Pregnant or not?   Pregnant or not? Empty12/28/2011, 10:58 pm

Ok im getting a scorpion soon as some as you may know, and the lady at the store said it might be pregnant. She said that there was a male in there with her and the next day the female had eaten the male, which somewhat makes me think it might actually be pregnant because she said that after that like 3-4 month later it started to bloat would it take that long for them to start showing? Also when i get the scorpion ill post pics! drunken
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

Pregnant or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant or not?   Pregnant or not? Empty12/29/2011, 2:21 am

I wasnt aware that females would eat males after conception. Unless shes really hungry. And you didnt say in this post what kind it was. So im assuming it is the emp you were talking about before. If I remember right I saw that it takes 7 months for gestation. Could be molting??? IDK. Read read read.
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Pregnant or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant or not?   Pregnant or not? Empty12/29/2011, 3:13 am

I'm rather skeptical of what sales ppl from the store claims. It is always safer to read up more info yourself and getting advice from the experience keepers from the forums. Once you have the chance to post some pics up. I'm sure it'll be a more accurate ID from the peeps here.

It is rare for females to cannibalize males after conception. However, it is true that some females may exhibits hostility towards the males when she is gravid. Female might become more territorial but the chances of chasing the male around the tank with the aim to kill is very low.

If the communal tank for the pair is very small and the male suffers prolonged stress and accumulated injuries (e.g. pinching from a gravid female and chased out of a hide/burrow), the male might be weakened over time and unable to fend off himself and finally succumbs. Especially so when the size difference from the pair is great. The male might be overpowered sooner. That being said, it is still on the uncommon side.

Sample of smaller male at the bottom. Top two are the larger females.
Click to view:

If the enclosure is large (e.g. a 10 gallon for just a single pair) with multiple hides and adequate food and humidity provided, the chances of cannibalism reduces but it might be a pickle to separate the male when the female has given birth. Hence, it is advisable to separate the male once your female has been positively ID'ed as gravid.
Back to top Go down
Scorpderp25
Hadogenes
Scorpderp25

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2011-12-27

Pregnant or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant or not?   Pregnant or not? Empty12/29/2011, 2:57 pm

the tank they had the male and female is was like half a gallon, really small plastic one
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pregnant or not? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pregnant or not?   Pregnant or not? Empty

Back to top Go down

Pregnant or not?
Page 1 of 1