The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?

Go down 
+6
Cyanide
*~BEX~*
Scorpioooo
pluto
Peloquin
Roblicious
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty
PostSubject: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:34 am

Sounds like a dumb question, but I want to reduce the risk of cannibalism.

I have 4 emps in a 10g with multiple hiding places, logs, plenty of coco fiber, and a waterfall, pretty lush.

Should I just toss 4 crickets and wait for them all to be gone? I noticed one of my emps eats more then the rest, like he will take 3/5 of the crickets that were in there for himself lol.

Or starting tomorrow, put in 4, and toss in one every other other day?
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2010-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:39 am

All I've ever done with Emp groups is dump a tub of the appropriate sized crix in. Just repeat every couple of weeks for 4 scorps, more often if a few more..
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 2:01 pm

so about 2 per scorpion every so often?
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 2:03 pm

Well you can but you'll find 1 eats 4 or 5 of them and 1 gets none. That's how it usually ends up.
I dump a full crix tub in simply so there are so many cric running about all the scorps are literally bumping into them. They all get to eat and there is food there for them most of the time.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 2:07 pm

I'm looking forward to put your advice into practice with the communal Mauritanicus tank Pelo.

An entire cricket container with 11 big, black, hungry Andros. I bet tails will be flying everywhere...

bam bam bam bam
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 2:18 pm

yeah there is a mix between a 2i (going into 3i) and 2 freshly molted as of this morning 3i's and a 4i that might be molting soon too.

The 4i was my original, when i introed the other 3 he got along just fine, he hides with them and all that normal stuff, but he does hog all the food I had 5 crickets in there and he ate 3 of them lol, pig
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 2:53 pm

Maybe this is a convenient way to feed them but wouldnt so many crickets stress the scorpions out? thats what i mostly read on this forum. if the food is not eaten after 2 or 3 days remove it because that may cause stress. and i also read that if there is too much prey running around its also very stressful.
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 3:12 pm

Bet it isn't as stressfull as not getting enough food.
It might be stressfull for them, I dunno, how can you tell?
If they are stressed they eat them, if not stressed they eat them.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 3:28 pm

pluto wrote:
I'm looking forward to put your advice into practice with the communal Mauritanicus tank Pelo.

An entire cricket container with 11 big, black, hungry Andros. I bet tails will be flying everywhere...

bam bam bam bam

you need to sooo film that lol Smile

i tong feed ours Smile
Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 3:41 pm

Scorpions aren't aware they're being kept in a tank. I reckon if there was a load of crix they'd just think they'd hit the jackpot. I don't understand why having loads of food on the go would be stressful. I haven't witnessed my cav eating. I might try putting a bunch in.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 3:51 pm

there are 2 crickets in there now, one of the 2i's is molting soon, casue his other 2 broodmates just molted overnight and this morning, ill hold off on a little bit on pouring in a bunch of crickets until he molts, the 4i has been doing a good job of keeping watch over them though lol
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 3:56 pm

the main problem with putting lots of crickets in is that they will lay eggs and you will become overun with tiny annoying stress making crix pissing your scorps off Smile
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:04 pm

Just dont use adult crix.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:05 pm

good idea Smile
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:13 pm

How hard I try I can never ever get crickets to breed... I am envious on you guys!
NEVER

Back to top Go down
Cyanide
Babycurus
Cyanide

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2011-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:20 pm

My crickets breed in the tub they come in. All I do is cut up a banana and they put eggs in is my guess. I have a bunch of tiny ones that weren't in there before. They ate the caterpillar things so they smell and need a new egg carton from time to time. How long will a cav go without food?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:21 pm

bloody always happens to me damn things lol
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 4:45 pm

Quote :
How long will a cav go without food?

depends on age of the scorp but an adult will go months.
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/18/2011, 6:21 pm

^mine's been on hunger strike for a week Razz
more for the spiders then.
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/19/2011, 1:37 am

i just wrote what i read i dont know if its true Wink

Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/19/2011, 2:41 am

No you are right Scorpioo, but to Pandinus and the likes cricks are really small and they should not pose much stress to them. Not if there are a few around per scorpion.

Also, if you work with smaller scorpions, the crickets can be stressful since they are almostas big, sometimes even bigger (scorplings). When the situation is like that, I only put in one cricket at the time.

Not necessarily out of stress concerns, but crickets are devious little bastards. They munch on everything and I dont want my feeeder to feed on my scorpion!
Back to top Go down
DolbyR
Leiurus
DolbyR

Number of posts : 2097
Registration date : 2011-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/19/2011, 3:39 pm

pluto wrote:
How hard I try I can never ever get crickets to breed... I am envious on you guys!
NEVER

It's so easy pluto.... I have a couple thousands growing up at the moment.
Back to top Go down
http://allscorpionarchives.forumotion.com
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/19/2011, 3:44 pm

Please tell me your secret lol
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/19/2011, 3:47 pm

buy them as adults and they are already to go...obviously they need damp warm substrate to lay there eggs in maybe thats the problem you only have desert species dont you? just get a tub stick some moist warm substrate in it stick some adult females in and you will be overun with them in no time Smile
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty6/19/2011, 3:48 pm

Ye i do that, but I cannot be arsed to remove the adult crickets from the "eggbed". I think they eat them since I dont have any that pop.. or at least I dont see any small ones crawling around..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?   Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure? Empty

Back to top Go down

Feeding multiple emps in an enclosure?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next