The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

What did I do wrong

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2011-05-11

What did I do wrong Empty
PostSubject: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/12/2011, 3:46 am

Just got a Babycurus jacksoni about 1 month ago, my 1'st of this species .
I believe it to be 3i or 4i but not positive, anyway it seemed very healthy and
active, 2 nights ago i gave it a cricket and it went right at it but this morning it
was dead. The temps at 85 f and humidity at about 65 ish maybe 70 I gave it 2
to 3 pinheads a week what did i do wrong. I just don't know . There a very sexy
species and I plan to get more. Please tell me if I was wrong with temp or humidity
I definately want to get it right next time.
Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

Number of posts : 2647
Registration date : 2011-04-16

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/12/2011, 10:58 am

Sounds right to me...

So all of a sudden it died? Did you notice strange behaviour after feeding the cricket?
It is or a pesticide cricket, a bad moult perhaps or it died of old age (which cant be).

weekly feeding rules dehydration out either way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/irapesheep?feature=mhee
leiurusSaleen820
Babycurus
leiurusSaleen820

Number of posts : 327
Registration date : 2011-05-11

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/13/2011, 1:30 am

No strange behavior that I noticed.Hopefully just a bad molt like you suggested,
that never really even crossed my mind.Thanks for the help pluto
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/13/2011, 3:19 am

Well Saleen, I doubt it is due to a moult.. but otherwise I don't think there would be anything simple that could kill it that fast, without prior signs.

No
Back to top Go down
caesar
Pandinus
caesar

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-11-15

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/14/2011, 3:20 am

Just a thought. Did you not perhaps handle anything prior to feeding your scorp, or spraying somthing like air freshner or deoderant. I make it a habit to wash my hands before feeding my scorps and T's.

Back to top Go down
pluto
Leiurus

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/14/2011, 12:16 pm

Caesar, that is definately a GOOD TIP. I have lost many inverts by not doing what you always do. If you have other pets and you use Frontline and such, wash your hands before even touching the boxes your cricks are in.

On the other hand, if an invert gets intoxicated by pesticides it will behave strangely and then die. They dont die instantly, but get something like DKS. It resembles it. Bugs where the nervous system got hurt, tend to live for at least weeks with uncontrolled appendage movements. It gradually gets worse and death comes knocking. Some do pull through though.

A spider of mine died to it, a scorp of mine.. pulled through. Hardy buggers cheers

If they die instantly from toxic products you have sprayed directly on them, which I doubt
Back to top Go down
Envyizm
Breeder
Envyizm

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2010-05-24

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty5/15/2011, 12:18 am

caesar wrote:
Just a thought. Did you not perhaps handle anything prior to feeding your scorp, or spraying somthing like air freshner or deoderant. I make it a habit to wash my hands before feeding my scorps and T's.

That is a good point as Fipronil (an active ingredient in frontline) can cause D.K.S. in tarantulas. This can be on your dog, cat or farm animal and transfer via your hand to the prey item of your pet or your pet. Not saying that's definitely what happened with your Babycurus because some die for no reason, but its always something to consider.
Back to top Go down
http://www.insectgeeks.com/Envyizm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What did I do wrong   What did I do wrong Empty

Back to top Go down

What did I do wrong
Page 1 of 1