The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

A different breed to keep...

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Feebo
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2010-10-12

A different breed to keep... Empty
PostSubject: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 11:25 am

Hiya scorpi people! Smile I`d like a little advice if that`s ok. Chin Scratch I`d like to keep a new species, preferably a species that isn`t huge like my Emperor. I have a little tank going spare in my snake room and being as I enjoy my Emperor so much I thought... well why not try another species! I was hoping some of you might be happy to make a few suggestions. I`d like something fairly small as I say and maybe something a little fiesty might be interesting too. Some of my snakes are down right dangerous and rear fang venomous too so I`m used to the respect levels that venomous creatures demand. The tank I have is glass, nearly a foot long and eight inches back. The floor space is about ten inches by eight in other words. My snake room is tropical so it`s never cold in there but I do heat my emperor anyway, as I expect to need to do with any new arrivals. I would be particularly interested in having some communal living and breeding going on aswell. As I`m sure you all know, it`s uniquely satisfying to breed the animals you look after afro So....

Could anyone make some suitable species suggestions based on the above information please?
Of course another consideration is availabilty. If anyone had a suitable species that they`ve bred
that`d be great. I`d be much happier buying something from an enthusiast than ordering from a shop....
The breeding thing isn`t essential, just a thought really....
Thanks in advance for your help Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 11:47 am

Well first off the scorpions with high toxicity we cant keep in the uk without a licence so thats most of the cool communal species out the window lol (all the buthide family)

and most of the small species are not classed as communal,
scorpio maurus are a nice desert species which are quite small ive read can be communal, but it depends, like they say everything is communal until it isnt lol,heres a pic of our s.maurus...

A different breed to keep... IMG_1990
A different breed to keep... IMG_1975

also H.arizonesis are cool, however they are not meant to be communal either although i know of people that are succsefully keeping them communaly atm, also very hard to brred and rear the young of H.arizonesis, heres our Haddy....

A different breed to keep... IMG_3220
A different breed to keep... IMG_3214

C.keyserlingi are nice and small, another species that people have kept together communally and breed well, but again others will say they are not good communally, our keyselingi..

A different breed to keep... IMG_3341
A different breed to keep... IMG_3334

one species i KNOW are communal and found here in the uk and easy to breed and tiny are the Euscorpius flavicaudis, if you can get yourself to sheerness in kent you get catch some for yourself for free Smile our E.flavs taken from the wall the live in, in sheerness...

A different breed to keep... PIC_0462
A different breed to keep... IMG_1730
A different breed to keep... IMG_1727

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5330-sheerness-dockyards-yellowtail-scorpion-colony-uk?highlight=sheerness
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

Number of posts : 915
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 12:31 pm

i second the euscorps. they can live at room temperature, have no special humidity needs, well not in the uk atleast.
they do live amazingy well with each other. make sure their food doesnt turn on them, i had a small cricket (less than half it's size) ate one. it may have been very old, it was in quarantine for the first night, next day he was dead and half eaten by a crick
also, they dont need lots of food
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 2:18 pm

Well they`re beautiful! I do like those Smile I couldn`t get myself to Kent though unfortunatly or that would be just about spot on perfect for me Sad I had heard about those guys on a documentary a while back. That`s a shame..... Ckeysirlingi are lovely too Smile I`m quite taken with those too. What`s thet`re availabilty like? I think actually being able to get a hold of what I`m after is the biggest issue.....
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 2:32 pm

There is a number of places to try for all these species

Www.bugzuk.com

Www.virginiacheeseman.co.uk

www.predatororprey.net

www.metamorphosis.gb.com

Www.martingoss.co.uk

www.thespidershop.co.uk

www.budzbugz.moonfruit.com

***edit www.tarantulabarn.co.uk is down so scrap that one Smile

Last edited by *~BEX~* on 4/26/2011, 2:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 2:52 pm

nice one, thanks Bex. i can never find these sort of sites, well apart from like 3 lol. i'd quite like a B or C. keyserlingi too
i love the spider shop. weve got crabs lol
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 4:49 pm

I summon the Lychas Mucronatus! Also the Chinese swimming scorpion. I don't know where your from... I'm from the states and I'm aware of the restrictions for UK citizens on certain pets. But you said you own deadly snakes so either your in the US, your in the UK with permission to have those animals or you just could care less. Haha.

An honesty, I highly suggest the Chinese Swimming Scorpions. I have yet to own one and hope to get one in a month or two but I have read up a lot on them. They're little guys that pack a big punch, communal, and I hear they're killers. Easy to breed with a gestation period of 3 months. Give them a look and make a decision. Whatever you get, come back and post an update. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 6:06 pm

Oh thanks bex Smile I`ll start my search using that list... I think I`ll try for the UK species first, I like the sound of "easy to breed" and they`re beautiful. I love thier colour Smile
Ah no Bedlam I don`t own *Deadly* snakes. I have rear fanged venomous snakes which are unlikely to result in death. I wanted tp point out that I`m used to dealing with dangerous animals and understand fully the respect levels that are essential in so doing. Not that it matters, apparently we aren`t allowed dangerous scorpions without licence here in the UK . Not that "they" have done nearly enough research on rear fang venomous snake species amoung other things. Nobody knew the rear fanged Boomslang was dangerous years ago. It was sold in the pet trade years ago. A researcher was bitten, thought nothing of it until his gums began to bleed when brushing his teeth. A few hours later he died. Venom is venom in my book. Respect is due....
Right then, I`d better start looking through these sites Smile (Apart from one of them who is just plain dishonest. If any moderators read this I`ll be happy to discuss it with you)
Thanks for your help guys and girls Smile Much appreciet much apriciate, appreche, app... Thank you Smile lol
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2010-06-29

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 7:26 pm

1 of them? Lol. I won't say anything on open forum but there's 4 I wouldn't touch.
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 7:31 pm

Yeeeah I didn`t want tl either. Even though the party in question doesn`t deserve the tiniest morsel of respect from me. But hey...
Back to top Go down
Bedlam
Tityus
Bedlam

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2011-04-03

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/25/2011, 10:40 pm

Feebo wrote:
Ah no Bedlam I don`t own *Deadly* snakes. I have rear fanged venomous snakes which are unlikely to result in death. I wanted tp point out that I`m used to dealing with dangerous animals and understand fully the respect levels that are essential in so doing. Not that it matters, apparently we aren`t allowed dangerous scorpions without licence here in the UK . Not that "they" have done nearly enough research on rear fang venomous snake species amoung other things. Nobody knew the rear fanged Boomslang was dangerous years ago. It was sold in the pet trade years ago. A researcher was bitten, thought nothing of it until his gums began to bleed when brushing his teeth. A few hours later he died. Venom is venom in my book. Respect is due....

Sorry, my mistake Razz
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 2:31 am

Also if you want tarantulas Peloquin (the guy above) is an awesome trader, and is quite good at finding stuff for you even scorps if your struggling to get them Smile he has reviews in the trade section on this forum and on bugsnation, I can't recommend him enough, beat trader I've dealt with so far Smile
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 5:49 am

Oh well I wonder if he could source a handful of UK scorpions for me then? I might have to ask...
I had a good browse through scorpions available on the sites above last night and I liked a few, loved a few others! There was a shiney one that was just amazing and a tan coloured one with a very bulbous sectioned tail which was very nice indeed! Although I`d hapilly change the rules and have a larger one, I think I`d like to keep trying for a few UK scorpions. I really like the idea of a self sustaining group of wee little scorpions Smile So much so I think I`ll have to keep trying until I`m succesful.... Smile
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 5:57 am

Oh I thought you meant in the list! lol Peloquin has actually posted above! lol Hi Peloquin Smile Do you think you could source some of the UK scorpions for me? I`d be one happy Feebo if you could Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 6:19 am

Well tbh Peloquin is miles away and I did say if I went I would grab him a few, so maybe when I go I just get as many as poss and then share them out with everyone lol, there is about 4 people that have asked me so far lol, as I'm only 40 mins away from it, will let people know if and when we go again may have to do a couple of trips, also we hve a gravid female so depending on how many we get from her could sell a few of those too Smile
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 8:40 am

Oh excellent Smile That`d be fantastic Smile I take it they aren`t protected or anything then? Mind you... I can`t think of any other alien species that has been protected....
Sweet Surprised Well if that were possible at some point I`d be very grateful! So would a handful of others by the sound of it! lol Cooool Smile If you do manage to go, it would be pretty cool if you did a little video for Utube so we can see them being liberated lol Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 8:52 am

Lol will see what we can do Smile
Back to top Go down
Peloquin
Babycurus
Peloquin

Number of posts : 429
Registration date : 2010-06-29

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 10:40 am

Hiya folks. Very kind of you Bex.
To be honest, I've never looked around for any of them for sale as they are free if you collect.
I am planning on heading down to grab a few for myself and will get a load to move on as well but I would be selling them, simply to recoup a little bit of my fuel costs as it's a 4 hour drive for me each way.
Bex, if you do head down there, give me a yell mate, I'll happily lob you a few squids for some and to cover post to me.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 11:50 am

Yeah will do your the top of the list Wink
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 11:57 am

Yippeeeee ! Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 2:14 pm

Feebo: they are a non-native species, there is no limit on how many you can take since the aren't protected, the wall they are located on is a listed builidng (citation needed? lol)
it's just about the morals, taking tens of them at a time, on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 3:03 pm

Yeah it would be a shame to see them disappear altogether because people are taking too many. Saying that though, as long as the species is in culture it can always be replaced. I`m actually surprised that wall is the only place they`re found! I`d have thought someone or other would have taken it upon themselves to populate somewhere near to where they live.... I was just looking at the pictures again... They are very beautiful aren`t they Smile I`m proper excited now lol
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 3:41 pm

it wouldnt surprise me if people have introduced them to their area. that is illegal mind Smile
i might accidentaly drop some in my garden lol
Back to top Go down
Feebo
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/26/2011, 4:59 pm

lol I`ll just stick to dropping some into my spare tank Smile
Back to top Go down
spinnin_tom
Tityus
spinnin_tom

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty4/28/2011, 3:20 pm

HA, I THINK I'D BE PUT UP FOR ADOPRION IF MUM FOUND OUT I RELEASED SOME :p
sorry for shouting
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A different breed to keep...   A different breed to keep... Empty

Back to top Go down

A different breed to keep...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next