The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Little bugs in tank

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

Number of posts : 126
Registration date : 2011-02-19

Little bugs in tank Empty
PostSubject: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:12 am

I was misting my emperor enclosure and saw little bugs crawling around the dirt. They're extremely small and hop around. What should I do to clean these guys out?
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

Number of posts : 209
Registration date : 2011-02-04

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:17 am

i dont know what the bugs are but their might be mites you should throw out all the substrate you have there and thoroughly clean the tank and all that is in it(hides,water dish). i read somewher that you could clean your tank with vinegar but i am not sure if it is something you should use.i would also check if they are crawling on your scorp.i you see those bugs on him i would wait for someone to tell you what to do. There was a post somewhere on the forum on how to get rid of mites. i will try to find it for you.
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:25 am

Back to top Go down
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:34 am

Thanks. They don't look like mites actually they really look like small crickets.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:35 am

Probably not an issue. If they hop around they're most likely baby crickets as you say.
Back to top Go down
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:38 am

I hope that's the issue. I'm gonna have to move my scorpions around tomorrow to investigate some more.
Back to top Go down
Scorpioooo
Centruroides
Scorpioooo

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 1:40 am

is this possible that crickets lay eggs inside the tank?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 2:20 am

What do they look like? Baby crickets are pretty easy to spot. A second guess would be springtails. I wouldn't worry about them unless they are on your scorpion, especially around the joints and tergites.
Back to top Go down
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 5:39 pm

They do look like small crickets. They're not on my scorpion from what I can see. I've notice that they hop around a lot when I try to pick them up. I'm not sure if springtails jump around.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 5:51 pm

I have had problems with scuttle bugs, not sure if they are the same as spring tails but they are like fruit flies that run more than fly. Very annoying but harmless. anytime I find a group of them I'd scoop some substrate out and toss it. You can drop bits of vegetation or fruit to try and attract them and remove them in numbers until eventually the problem is resolved. Baby crickets you can place a straw in your tank with one end over the water dish and most of them will drown themselves. Scooping large numbers out helps curb them.
If they are baby crickets, look for females when you are feeding, they have the one long stick coming out of their but between the other two stick things that come out at about a 45 degree angle. (sorry I don't recall the name for it off hand). If I have fully mature crickets I snip this off with a scissors before dropping them into a tank, or use those for my arid species as they don't like to lay eggs in sand (seemingly). Anyways, I have not had problems with either since riding them via these methods.
+1 though on not worrying until you find them on your scorps, especially on the joints. Keep in mind though if a population gets too big it could stress your scorps out. Hope this helps. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 5:53 pm

Lol we had this problem once the nest thing to do is get a couple of of straws and prop them up against the water dish they will climb up the straw fall in the water and drown, they look like tiny jumpy flecks at first then the quite quickly start looking like tiny crickets...

Little bugs in tank E3ab09eb

Little bugs in tank 8b97659e

Last edited by 231bex on 3/31/2011, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty3/31/2011, 5:55 pm

Ha shawn disnt see that you posted before me, it was you that told me the straw thing last year I believe Smile
Back to top Go down
Vin Diesel
Centruroides
Vin Diesel

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty4/1/2011, 6:56 pm

I tried the straw method and found a few dead this morning. Still a few visible ones crawling around, but they aren't anywhere as big as the ones you have pics of.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty4/2/2011, 10:40 am

lol ours wasnt that big at first took a few weeks for them to get like that, was like tiny little flecks that if you try to touch jump away, there was also other bugs that look like tiny white flea like creatures but they are good mites as far as i know as long as they are moving around they are nothing to worry about, i would only worry if they are stuck to your scorpion and not moving, or if there are too many running around they may stress the scorpion out Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Little bugs in tank   Little bugs in tank Empty

Back to top Go down

Little bugs in tank
Page 1 of 1