The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ricosuave77
Pandinus

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-01-25

Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty
PostSubject: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/25/2012, 11:31 pm

Was out and about and stopped at a chain pet store and was amazed that they had emps, normally they dont deal with inverts. I have a single male(I believe),that is fully grow (again I believe), the ones in the store were half his size or so. Mine is well fed but seems over agressive to tongs always. My guess is bad idea right? And what if smaller was female would that change things?
Next, mine is currently in a 10 gal with 5-6 inches of dirt on his burrow side, I have a 15 tall, would an extra 6-8 inches be significant enough to its well being.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

Number of posts : 174
Registration date : 2011-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/26/2012, 2:20 am

When I introduced mine to each other (I put a male in with 2 females) I just set him in there. Hes an adult and my 2 females are sub adults. There was alot of claw grabbing and juddering but they acclimated ok to him. Im thinking with the fact that you will be putting a female in with your male, you should take him out and redo the enclosure while offering at least 2 hides. They most likely will end up in one hide but they would have a choice.
The thing about redoing the enclosure and putting them in at the same time is, there is no territorial differences. Its new to both of them. I think they would be too busy scouting the new one out to care much about each other. And 6 inches is enough to pacify, but the deeper the better. I have 11 inches of substrate and they went almost all the way down.
In the wild there are no limits to how deep they can go.
Back to top Go down
Will3
Babycurus
Will3

Number of posts : 330
Registration date : 2011-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/26/2012, 3:12 am

You can wait for it to become adult before introducing them.
Back to top Go down
ricosuave77
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/26/2012, 3:40 am

Thanks for the info, think i will definitely switch to deep tank. The store had them at a very good price for around here in Iowa in winter $12, which actually brought the question to mind. As for sexing them in store I think it will amusing to ask some guy who hasnt a clue to sex it first, think the look on their face might be priceless. Might set mine in 15 tall and set 10 its in for three juvies that store had, will work for a bit
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/26/2012, 9:42 am

Will3 wrote:
You can wait for it to become adult before introducing them.
LOL yeah , or theres always that option.
Back to top Go down
lmiller
Centruroides
lmiller

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/26/2012, 9:45 am

ricosuave77 wrote:
The store had them at a very good price for around here in Iowa in winter $12
Its funny that you say that, I had intentionally planned on moving to Iowa, Little town in the Southwest corner called Clarinda. But after reviewing the laws...... Heres a question to everyone on this forum, How can they sell a Scorpion in a state that has a law against even owning one????? lol.
Back to top Go down
ricosuave77
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/28/2012, 8:52 pm

Thanks for the advice, things went well during introduction. I actually bought two instead of just on and right now they are in just my 10gal. I added more substrate so total depth on deep half is about 9", change enclosure completely and added 5 separate borrows. Darth Scorpious (cmon black emp with bad tude) sparred for one hide and gave up to smaller then sparred with other small one and pushed him out. Today Darth and his two 'apprentices' are sharing the big burrow against the glass. (yeah!! I can finally can see what happens in the 'pet hole')
Back to top Go down
ricosuave77
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty1/28/2012, 8:54 pm

Oh yeah, they all are going into at least 15tall or my 20L with in a few weeks, so please dont hammer me on too many in a 10.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth   Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth Empty

Back to top Go down

Newb questions, tank mates and tank depth
Page 1 of 1