The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis

Go down 
+12
jaySteel
DolbyR
dixied65
Callum B
spinnin_tom
pluto
rowanberry15
Bruthus
H. laoticus
Jay
Manser
*~BEX~*
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Annababe
Tityus
Annababe

Number of posts : 834
Registration date : 2011-06-30

Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty3/28/2012, 1:15 pm

Will I be able to see that in the states Bex?
Back to top Go down
sasword_ron
Centruroides
sasword_ron

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2009-12-31

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty3/30/2012, 8:08 am

i love the water dish.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 11:31 am

Hi all the day has finally come that the scorpion feature will finally be aired Smile Its on bbc 2 at 8pm tonight, the scorpion bit is only a few mins long but its all about the scorpions in sheerness dockyards in the uk which i went up to film for, im not sure but mybe people out of the country can view it on tvcatchup.com

Anyway i will be watching through squinted eyes in the hope i dont look like a prat lol Smile

this is the write up for it...

I love the thunderous turns of phrase they use on this show. Coastal conurbations are there because “great cities surge up where mighty rivers plunge into the sea”, proclaims Nick Crane.

But that’s part of the way the programme makes its subjects into dramatic TV, the theme tonight being estuaries (or rather, the “colossal watery spaces” where “river and sea smash together”.)

So around the Thames, the Firth and the Severn we meet a colony of scorpions, hear about the gruesome accident where a Victorian pleasure boat sank in sewage and discover the answer to that seemingly simple childhood question: why is the sea salty?
About this programme

4/6. The team looks at stories linked to estuaries around the UK. Nick Crane heads to the Firth of Forth to investigate the `soliton', a rare type of wave that appears to travel endlessly without losing energy or breaking up, while Miranda Krestovnikoff reveals how salmon avoid death by dehydration as they migrate to saltwater. Tessa Dunlop examines a Victorian system on the Thames that relied on the power of the tide to wash London's sewage out to sea, while Mark Horton learns about the struggle to build a rail tunnel under the Severn estuary to connect England and Wales, a challenge that was finally accomplished in 1886. Folk singer June Tabor visits the Somerset village of Brean to explore the superstitions surrounding the burial of sailors who died in shipwrecks.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 11:40 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 11:59 am

I am scared lol
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 12:05 pm

Bex, anyway for americans to catch this?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 12:15 pm

Can you access tvcatchup.com? If so its on BBC 2 at 8pm gmt
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 12:16 pm

But my bit is about 3 mins long I think the whole thing is an hour long I have no idea where abouts in it I will be lol
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 12:17 pm

doesn't matter I'm proud that one of the admins is part of this. You know I was gone during the time this was announced so it's news to me and I can't wait. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 12:22 pm

Mind if I post this up on FB?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/24/2013, 12:47 pm

Don't mind at all I'm not on facebook so in ahead lol
Back to top Go down
jaySteel
Pandinus
jaySteel

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2012-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/26/2013, 4:10 pm

Hi Bex,
I saw the article on BBC2 and thought you came across really well. I wish they're given a little more time to the piece.

I was down at Sheerness again looking for scorpions recently and took some different styles of photos. Here's one I thought I'd share with you:

Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Scorpion23cjasonsteel80

Jason
Back to top Go down
http://www.jason-steel.co.uk
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/26/2013, 4:28 pm

Wow awesome capture, and thank you, when did you in down, what's the situation with numbers I haven't been for well over a year now, are there still quite a few?
Back to top Go down
jaySteel
Pandinus
jaySteel

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/26/2013, 5:03 pm

Thanks. I walked slowly down the High Street wall and then slowly back up again. The temperature wasn't that warm and yet I was still able to find 4 adults in about 15 minutes.
I was photographing them for ages that night. I had a table set up with lights etc to pose the scorpions how I wanted them. Two security guards came over from the docks to see what I was up to. Apparently setting up a table and lights to photograph scorpions in the middle of the night isn't normal behaviour! lol
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/26/2013, 5:27 pm

Haha that's awesome, everytime we have gone we have been stopped by police, but they are always happy to leave us to it and quite interested in it all Smile
Back to top Go down
melee79
Pandinus

Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/29/2013, 9:09 am

Wow, great photo. Almost like it knew you were taking it so did a good pose Smile Maybe my kids could learn a thing or 2 after the disaster we had with a recent photo session!
Back to top Go down
jaySteel
Pandinus
jaySteel

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/29/2013, 11:51 am

Thanks. I can assure you that I took hundreds of photos during this latest session and most of them went straight in the bin!

Jason
Back to top Go down
melee79
Pandinus

Registration date : 2012-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/29/2013, 2:26 pm

Yeah - I can imagine a hell if a lot of hard work goes into getting just one good shot. My personal style is a sort of blurred, half captured style Smile
Back to top Go down
jaySteel
Pandinus
jaySteel

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty4/29/2013, 2:33 pm

lol! Wildlife photography requires an awful lot of patience if you're a perfectionist.

Jason
Back to top Go down
jaySteel
Pandinus
jaySteel

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty11/28/2020, 6:34 am

Hi everyone. Sorry to dig up an old post but I thought I'd let people know that the population of Euscorpius flavicaudis at Sheerness are still doing well. I've made two trips down there this year as my son now lives fairly nearby. On the first occasion, on a warm summer evening, I was able to record 23 specimens in 25 minutes. Most were hidden within the cracks of the crumbling mortar of the wall but a couple were actively patrolling the wall. A more recent trip this week was cold and damp but I was still able to record 12 specimens hidden in the depths of the wall. I have now updated my website with new photos and a short video of the scorpions on the Sheerness Socks Wall. Has anyone else visited the site recently?

http://www.jasonsteelwildlifephotography.yolasite.com/uk-scorpions.php

Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Yellow10

melee79 likes this post

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis   Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheerness scorpions latest check up... Euscorpius flavicaudis
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3