The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Tarantula health

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
bug_er_me
Pandinus

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-02-09

Tarantula health Empty
PostSubject: Tarantula health   Tarantula health Empty3/24/2011, 1:05 pm

So here's a few things i keep aside for my tarantula's. Beings there are no vetanerian's that are willing to attend to a T in my area, i decided (over a decade ago) to revise on T Health care (In case of emergencys), And im always keeping in touch with the times when it concerns the health of my animals.

So iv taken a few pics, of the tools that i consider to be very important, and have proven important, when it comes to the health of my T's.

Tarantula health 301_2419

1x 10ml syringe, 1x 2.5ml syringe, 1x 2.5ml pipette, 1x 4" pointed tweezers, 1x knife (in pic, i have several all together, from small to medium large)

The 10ml syringe comes in handy when im hydrating Adult T's, or watering the ICU, fulling up water bowls and so on.

The 2.5ml syringe is used for hydrating juvi T's, the tip of the 10 ml would considerably flood the spiders mouth with the tip, were as on the 2.5ml, the tip of the syringe is perfect for the job, It comes in handy with general watering of the smaller juvi's.

The 2.5ml pipette is perfect for spiderlings, the nozzle at the end is as good as a pin prick, making hydration of spiderlings a very easy job.

The knife's are used for spiders stuck in molts, on the very very VERY rare occasion, it is a must. In the years iv been in the hobby, iv only ever had to remove 3 exo skelitons from a T, 2 being mature males molting again.

Tarantula health 301_2422

Tarantula health AborealICU

These here are my ICU containers, these if you are not familiar with oready, let me know and ill do a tutorial for you.

As you can see, i have 4 tubs for the making of ICU when needed, (i have 6 in total). The 2 taller containers are for aboreal T's, the 2 lower containers are for terestrial T's, one being big enough for a spiderling, other for a juvi - adult. As the tarantula becomes better in it self, the aboreal T's can climb and be there self, as for terestrial, they have flat low ground to do there thing, No t's are at risk as these containers are measured for the ill spider, therefore making it a safer for the individual T. For example, the last thing you want is the T to climb and injure through a fall, but if the right container is used, this will not happen.

Tarantula health 301_2424

Water bowl's, better to have more than needed at hand, all at diffrent sizes. If any are lost, you still have more there, keep them in a cricket tub together, then they wont go a-stray. Having difrent sizes at hand, in an emergency, you dont have to run around looking for a water bowl, you can simply pick one throw it in and fill it up, done dusted tongue

Tarantula health 301_2427

Here are a pair of latex gloves, and a syringe filled with my own brand "Band aid", and it works a treat , The latex gloves will prevent you from having a nassty rash from the hairs, it will assist in keeping everything hygenic, and your hands, the spiders wound, will be clean

The stuff in the syringe is a simple easy to make paste. It is made up with spider friendly substances, put in a syringe and then the ammount needed i can put accuratly, fill the area were it is needed and smooth it out, Keep in a fridge. (This will work only with minor injuries, such as holes, gashes. In the event of a severe abdomen split/rupture, use super glue as a quick adhesive)

All you need to make this up is...

Flour and water, mix it together until it turns to a paste, place in the syringe, cover up the hole on the other end (the tip of syringe) with cling film, and you are done.. This will keep things clean and works better than just plain flour for general First aid on the spider.

Tarantula health 301_2430

Last of all, a shelf in a dark, warm wardrobe. Keep all the equipment there, and clear so in need of emergencys, you can go straight to it. The dark warm wardrobe is were i put the ill/injured spider, therefore keeping the spider as stress free as possible.

Hope this helps with many, and always keep an eye out for new ways of Tarantula treatments, you never know you may need it one day Wink
Back to top Go down
J.Gusler
Hadogenes
J.Gusler

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-03-22

Tarantula health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tarantula health   Tarantula health Empty3/25/2011, 12:36 am

Awesome topic.
Back to top Go down
bug_er_me
Pandinus

Tarantula health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tarantula health   Tarantula health Empty3/25/2011, 5:32 am

Adult Care

Adult care within the tarantula world, is pritty straight forward. the basics are all that is needed to give the tarantula a good thriving home (Hide, Water bowl, substrate). The setup and humidity requirments is were it becomes tricky, but easily established. In some cases there are no clear care sheets out there if any, so what would you do in this situation ?.

First things first, Consider a moist or dry setup ? no scrap that, do both. Half moist, half dry.

Are they aboreal, terestrial, or do they burrow. Simple to overcome, deep substrate, a peice of caulk bark (Caulk bark on both sides).

Do they require high ventilation and humidity ?, well to over come this is also straight forward, Wrap the ventelated area with cling film, and place holes all over it to allow plenty of ventelation, and to hold high humidity.

And let the tarantula do the rest, observe there behavour, Do they like it dry, or do they like it moist, do they hang over the water bowel all the time, or on the damp substrate. Are they thriving on 1 side of the enclosure. The tarantula will tell you how s/he likes it, never panic in this situation for care Wink

Juvinile

Juvi's follow the same rule as adults, try them out and see how it goes.

Spiderlings

Spiderlings are vunerable, if i sat here and told you iv never lost a pink toe spiderling, which are known to just drop dead, what would you think ?, Well its a lie, iv lost 3 baby pink toed tarantulas, Because i followed the care sheets given. Then i changed it, to my own care sheets, in 5 years i have not lost 1 baby pink toe since. The reason that is, is because of 1 word, "Vunerable", it screems out there care needs changing, so i did, and i havent lost one since. Off course in egg sacks, iv lost a couple, but with the new care i decided to put them under, the egg sack ratio has been so much more succesful since.

So i took the time out and revised the whole issue's, when they are born, they need vertially 100% humidity to keep them alive until 2nd instar, then they are seperated, and put into normal avic care, normal brachy care and so on. You can oready see were this is heading oready i bet.

Why change it ? well because they say they dont need it any longer, they can eat and get moisture that way, yes, yes they can, but no were near enough.

Now for the care, remember since i changed my care sheets, i have not lost one single avic or tap which again are known to just drop of the earth.

I keep my moist in need of humidity spiders, very moist, and very humid. Infact so humid at times the humidity levels are hitting 90%. The more humid you keep the vunerable, the more chance you have of rearing them. Ventalation needs to be good to, again plenty of holes, with cling film wrapped around the enclosure, with holes cut in the cling film. This will allow plenty of ventelation, and plenty of humidity. Enclosure size, forget the small vials, no good when it comes to avics and tap's and vunerable spiders alike. You need deli cups, to give you an idea in hight, almost 7 times the leg span height, and 5 times in width. Overkill ?? no, vital.

Any care sheet you see for spiderlings, scrap it. They are not proven to be the most affective care for them. Iv had reports back from the US, with my theory, and a breeder from there reported back 93% of the egg sack survived to juvi. That is a HUGE increase in life, before this, he was only getting 60-70% alive from the hached out spiderlings. I cannot tell you how to look after your T's, but i do urge you to think this through as it is more likely to bring you success, rather than dissopointment.

This rule accounts for all spiderlings, the dry species, keep them mildly moist and so on, simple maths, and simple thought will gain you much more success with rearing, than you may know Wink
Back to top Go down
bug_er_me
Pandinus

Tarantula health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tarantula health   Tarantula health Empty3/25/2011, 5:33 am

J.Gusler wrote:
Awesome topic.

Cheers fella cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content