The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New My First Tarantula : )

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

Number of posts : 516
Registration date : 2012-06-09

New My First Tarantula : ) Empty
PostSubject: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty7/20/2012, 6:22 pm

i got my first tarantula today he/she is a rose hair, medium size, i have it in a 10 gallon tank, w/ coco fiber substrate, water dish , a hide, and a fake desert plant.... any advice would be appreciated : )
[img]New My First Tarantula : ) 000_2715[/img][img]New My First Tarantula : ) 000_2716[/img]
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/androctonus.australis.5
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty7/20/2012, 7:03 pm

Welcome and congrats by the way!

Sounds like you're not far from the ideal habitat. Two things I would recomend

1. Rose hairs love dry substrate so you may not want to have it as moist as in the pictures.

2. Terrestrial T's need to be careful they dont fall and rupture the abdomen, you can either put her/him in a shorter tank , or fill with more substrate, I would say a safe hight would be no more than double the length of your Tarantula.

Other than that , awesome!
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty7/20/2012, 7:49 pm

thanks for the information Very Happy i thought they were supposed to have moist soil so i wetted it before i got the tarantula, the care sheets i read said high humidity.... so im not supposed to mist the tank?? and i was going to upgrade it to a false bottom for humidity, but i shouldnt do that ? just keep it dry ???? ill add another bag of soil so its less room for the spider to climb incase it falls.
Back to top Go down
emperor5
Tityus
emperor5

PostSubject: Re: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty7/20/2012, 8:44 pm

okay i just put another 2 inches of soil in , it was the whole bag, but the wet soil is below the dry soil i hope it doesnt get mold.... i made my dad pick up the tarantula and put it in the container while i did the soil cuasae i was afriad it was going to bite me
Back to top Go down
Ludedor24
Babycurus

Number of posts : 280
Registration date : 2011-10-02

PostSubject: Re: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty7/20/2012, 8:47 pm

hehe:P rose hairs are usually very docile , it wont get moldy it will just pull moister from the lower substrate is all. you should be fine..yeah rose hairs like a more arid climit
Back to top Go down
Scorpion19981000
Administrator
Scorpion19981000

Number of posts : 1895
Registration date : 2011-07-03

PostSubject: Re: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty7/21/2012, 1:57 am

Congrats on the new addition!
Yeah, keep the substrate bone dry, just have a small, shallow water dish somewhere in the tank.
Here's a little info on their natural habitat Smile:
G. rosea come from the margins and less severe areas of the Atacama desert. This is arguably one harshest places on the planet. Some spots have not had rain in recorded history. The temperatures there may reach 135°F (57°C) or higher in the Chilean summer and they may experience light frosts in winter. Although it's thought that the areas where G. rosea are prominent are not so severe. They've been reported from desert and semi-desert to scrub forests. In nature, they get most of their water from their prey and from fog that drifts inland from the Pacific ocean.
Back to top Go down
http://www.scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New My First Tarantula : )   New My First Tarantula : ) Empty

Back to top Go down

New My First Tarantula : )
Page 1 of 1