The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Is this mycosis??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/27/2011, 10:28 am

Is this mycosis? Got this keyserlingi about a week ago, I didn't really get a good look at it before putting in it's tank,and it burrowed straight away. today I decided to rehouse It as the tank was far to big for the lil guy and I noticed this black Mark on it's right (not sure what it's called) arm?? Before the pedipalp. Also it has a segment damaged it kinda overlaps the next one on one side with a small bulge.
If it is mycosis what do I do apart from making sure it's extremely dry for it?

Is this mycosis?? 1e18b840

Is this mycosis?? D3a28301

Is this mycosis?? 64261aee
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 12:20 pm

I can't see anything but again it would be hard to see on a dark scorp. Def, keep it dry like you said and the thing to do is vagisil. Get a long cotton swab from a doctors office, or a few. Pull your scorp out and just dab a little on the mycosis. It is very difficult but I have been advised to do this when one of my H. Trilineatus had mycosis. I have since lost her but it seemed to help.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 12:57 pm

Thanx for the advice i will give it a go, I've also been advised to used vinegar has anyone heard of that one?? Smile

And I'm guessing she had it before I got her she couldn't have got it in a week could she?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 1:09 pm

I'm not sure about vinegar, I know I use it to clean tanks as any residue is less harmful than soap, glass cleaner or bleach. I'd still be a little hesitant on using that alone. I'd maybe seek a few references on that I guess.
I'd assume that mycosis did not start with you, but never can tell. I honestly can't say I know much about it other than the one experience with it and know that it happens with arid species when they get over exposed to moisture.
I know that it usually affects the joints and legs can be lost by it. My Hotty lost 2 legs Sad
Good luck though
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 1:16 pm

Aw I really hope she doesn't loose limbs as it will be her right pedipalp she looses and the middle segment of arm Sad will just have to wait and see I guess and try your method see how she goes, thanx Smile
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 1:21 pm

No problem and good luck.
Back to top Go down
Roblicious
Babycurus

Number of posts : 321
Registration date : 2011-02-08

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 3:48 pm

I thoughtthere wasnt a treatment for mycosis and that if a scorpion got it it got it for good?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 5:13 pm

I haven't heard that but I haven't heard there is anything to do other than treat it with vagisil. I would be interested in hearing some research on it though.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 5:29 pm

I found this thread, I don't think it'll be too helpful but worth a read. https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t228-mycosis-discussion-thread?highlight=mycosis

And by the way, I can see the spot after looking again. I thought mycosis attacks joints more but on my hotty, she had it on her side, so I wouldn't rule it out. I wish you luck
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 5:51 pm

Ok, this was my post which turned into a mycosis discussion. Took a little digging as it was something that was brought up in a post not intended on mycosis. You will also see my hotty with some pretty bad mycosis on her side. The vagisil actually helped and it seem to tbe going back, but she had it on multiple joints and stuff too and that was soo hard to get the vagisil on.

I'm sorry to report I lost her after about 2 months of treating it but in her death she served a higher purpose. I put her in a baby food jar and took her into my sons daycare and let the teachers show the kids. I was a bit nervous leaving a medically significant scorp in a daycare but I explained it all to the teachers and told them not to open the jar under any circumstances and to throw it in the dumpster when done so it is not sitting around. It went over pretty well.

Anyways, check out the pix and the Tellow's explanation of vagisil. It was fun going and asking for it in Target, I got some looks Very Happy

Sorry, forgot the link :/ https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t5390-some-recent-pics-of-babies-not-all-scorps

Last edited by iitomodachi1 on 2/28/2011, 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot the Link)
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 6:07 pm

Lol I bet you did get some looks,Very Happy I wonder how it actually works coz it's for treating yeast infections, be interesting to know what ingredient actually targets the mycosis which I guess is a kinda mould/fungus
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 8:11 pm

I'm not sure which ingredient but I think you are right, it's more of a fungal thing, something with spores and what not. Although none of my other scorps have shown any indication of this.
As for the Target incident, I didn't even realize what it was, I was thinking it was ky jelly or aquaphore or something and when I couldn't find it I had to ask. I have a loud voice and the 50's 'ish lady told me to keep it down and follow her, when I got back there she explained and said she was trying to save me some embarrassment. I just laughed as she plainly knew I had no idea what I was asking for Very Happy She was quite surprised when I told her what I needed it for and why!
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty2/28/2011, 9:20 pm

In my opinion it doesn't look like mycosis based upon the species and where the spot is located.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty3/1/2011, 3:16 am

Clues in the name iitomidachi1 lol, an u hope it isn't mycosis but I have read thi species like it's very dry, so could be prone to it I guess Crome I have no idea what conditions it was kept in before I received it Smile
Back to top Go down
Chrome
Tityus
Chrome

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty3/1/2011, 3:34 am

Yea, i'm aware that it's a dry species, but i'm meaning just the way it looks on the scorp colorwise and shapewise just seems off. Might be lighting.

Didn't mean based on the species not being a dry one if that's where you thought I was going.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Is this mycosis?? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Is this mycosis??   Is this mycosis?? Empty

Back to top Go down

Is this mycosis??
Page 1 of 1