The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Injured Stinger...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2011-01-13

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 4:30 pm

When I was feeding Edvin yesterday I noticed that the very tip of his stinger (the aculeus, not the whole telson) seems to have been damaged. It's not pointy anymore! I don't know how he managed to do this, but is it a real problem for him?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 7:43 pm

Not a problem. I've seen emps reach adulthood that were missing the whole telson.
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 10:12 pm

Okay, good. I'm still sad for him. I suppose he doesn't really need it in captivity, but I would be sad if I were a scorpion and my stinger wasn't pointy anymore. <.<
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

Number of posts : 177

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 10:30 pm

To be fair he probably wouldn't need it in the wild either, the claws are the dangerous part of an Emp.

Mine has a blunt stinger, probably due to him using it to climb up things, he just prefers to crush things... Like my fingers. Mad
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 10:47 pm

I honestly haven't tried to hold him yet. He gets really defensive when anything moves near him. Just today I was adjusting the plastic ivy in his tank and he started attacking the leaves... XP
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 10:51 pm

Strangely he doesn't mind me going near him with my bare hands. I use a stylus to move things round, or prod a locusts into his hide, now THAT, he hates. He literally attacks the stylus on sight.

But yeah, I wouldn't be too afraid of handling him, they're quite gentle to be honest. The only reason I got pinched so hard was because it was the first time I held him, and I moved my fingers, so he thought he was being attacked. Since then he hasn't pinched me at all. I don't make a habit out of handling him though, I know it can stress them out.

My AFS and my Desert Hairy I won't even go near. The AFS is completely unpredictable and gravid, and the Desert Hairy is just a mean little git.
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 10:58 pm

I might try it once he's gotten settled in. I just redid his tank, this time with a false bottom, and I added some decorations.

(I had to buy a whole roll of wire screen... no idea what I'm going to do with the rest of it...)
Back to top Go down
Billy No Mates
Centruroides
Billy No Mates

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/20/2011, 11:28 pm

Save it for when you get some more scorps haha.
Back to top Go down
ColoredPencils
Centruroides
ColoredPencils

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty1/26/2011, 2:06 am

Yeah, I guess. I do have some windows that need to be re-screened... XP
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Injured Stinger... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Injured Stinger...   Injured Stinger... Empty

Back to top Go down

Injured Stinger...
Page 1 of 1