The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Baby emp heat mat location

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Seany-p
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2011-01-08

Baby emp heat mat location Empty
PostSubject: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/10/2011, 4:03 am

Hey there, I've recently got my first scorpion, a baby emp named otto, one thing im unsure of is the heat mat location. He's only approx 12mm big so lives in an old cricket tub. Is the heat mat best suited underneath, or on the side? If the side which side, width or length? Pls help I don't want a steamed scorpion! Question
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/10/2011, 4:13 am

It should be on the side and it really doesn't matter which side (just make sure it won't melt anything). I myself would prefer the longer side so it can heat more of the tub. However, if you want to give the tub a hot side and cool side, put it on the short end. The reason the mat should be placed on the side and not the bottom is because scorpions will burrow to escape heat. If it's on the bottom, they have no where to escape besides going up and you may end up with a toasted scorpion.
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/10/2011, 4:53 am

Okay that's excellent, thanks very much! I'll put some pics up if possible to see if the overall setup is alright if that's okay?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/10/2011, 5:33 am

sure thing, pics would be great
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/12/2011, 7:01 am

I can't pics up I'm afraid my cameras playing up!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/12/2011, 7:50 am

Def on the side although it may not be necessary to have a heat sorce at all specially for such a small tub, if the room he is kept in is warm enough he wil be fine, emps dont need it particullary hot,and will do fine at room temperature, anything between 20-30 c will be fine.

You might fing the heat matt makes it too hot (unless you managed to find a tiny one from somewhere?) and if the tub is that small the scorp wont really be able to escape from the heat at all, we has the same prob with our little unknown fella (possible emp) he now just sits near our other tanks and is doing fine!
Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/12/2011, 8:01 am

oh yeah also your not really meant to use heat matts on plastic tanks/containers only glass
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/13/2011, 3:29 pm

Okay brilliant I'll try that, is there any indication as if it was too cool for the scorp, and also if the tanks too humid?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/13/2011, 3:53 pm

As long as it's well ventilated you should be fine just spraying once every few days just enough to make it damp not to soak it, if the room is over 20 preferably closer to 25 it will be warm enough for your scorp get a thermometer and put it near it you will want one when it goes into a larger enclosure anyways,

or if you think it wont be warm enough you could get a infrared heat lamp and use that at a distance, or even just having the heat Matt near the tub if you can ( like we have ATM with our Scorpio maurus) we have stuck the Matt to the side of the wall and the tank is up against it but you could attach yours to a wall or other vertical surface and just put the tub near it say 1-2 cm away??? Smile
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/15/2011, 1:43 pm

The room temp is a steady 23 c so I've removed the heat mat for now. I'm guessing they can burrow from an early age as went put I micro cricket in today we wasn't in the usual hid?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/15/2011, 1:49 pm

lol yeah ive found the little ones burrow like mad, think your scorp will be fine at that temp
Back to top Go down
Seany-p
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty1/17/2011, 2:10 am

Thanks for all the help, it seems like one happy little chappy, quite active, eaten everything that's gone in there so hopefully things will stay that way! Cheers Sean Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Baby emp heat mat location   Baby emp heat mat location Empty

Back to top Go down

Baby emp heat mat location
Page 1 of 1