The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

FIRST SCORPION ADVICE

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Vinal
Pandinus

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-12-29

FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty
PostSubject: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 7:30 pm

Hey all, i'm new here! as you can tell (Sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Anyway to the point, im looking to get a scorpion, so obviously im doing the research beforehand i already care for a spider and a snake so i kind know the drill anyway, but i dont have a clue with scorpions!

Anyone willing to share some advice?

What breeds best to get? (i dont mean just for a beginner just generally say most entertaining to watch)
What size tank i should get?

If the substrate similar to those of snake and spiders aspin/coco fibre?
Humidity (i know will depend on the scorpion)
Feeding? ive saw them eat MICE/PINKYS also CRICKETS.

Here are the tanks i have at the moment (occupied as you wll probs see but just as an example of what ones would suiet what scorpion)

FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Sam_1210

FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Sam_1211

As much detailed info would be appreciated, thanks.

JAMES
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 8:29 pm

Hi welcome to the forum!

Any of the enclosures you already have would be fine for a scorpion and depending On which you get you will either need sand for desert species or cocoa fibre for forest species and some like a mixture of both also most scorps like to burrow so substrate for most should be at a depth of 4-6 inches, also obviously they have different temperature and humidity requirement so maybe a heat matt or bulb also hides and water dishes

Also what scorp you should get kinda depends on where you live to be honest as in the Uk we are very limited in what we can have without obtaining a licence whereas in the US it's much easier to obtain a wider variety of species therefor getting more active and more "dangerous" scorpions ate an option Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vinal
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 8:35 pm

231bex wrote:
Hi welcome to the forum!

Any of the enclosures you already have would be fine for a scorpion and depending On which you get you will either need sand for desert species or cocoa fibre for forest species and some like a mixture of both also most scorps like to burrow so substrate for most should be at a depth of 4-6 inches, also obviously they have different temperature and humidity requirement so maybe a heat matt or bulb also hides and water dishes

Also what scorp you should get kinda depends on where you live to be honest as in the Uk we are very limited in what we can have without obtaining a licence whereas in the US it's much easier to obtain a wider variety of species therefor getting more active and more "dangerous" scorpions ate an option Very Happy

I'm UK, and woah i never knew you had to have a licence :s haha!

What types would you recommend? licence and no licence?

Thanks for reply! Smile
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 8:44 pm

Well basically you need a licence for all buthidae family- all species ( and that's a huge list of scorpions) Sad and Hemioscorpiidae family - hemiscorpius lepturus

Here's a link the the latest UK DWA ( dangerous wild animals) list

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife/protect/documents/dwa-animallist.pdf

Also here's a list to the scorpion files just so you can get an idea of how many we are not allowed without a licence

http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.php

Back to top Go down
Vinal
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 8:55 pm

231bex wrote:
Well basically you need a licence for all buthidae family- all species ( and that's a huge list of scorpions) Sad and Hemioscorpiidae family - hemiscorpius lepturus

Here's a link the the latest UK DWA ( dangerous wild animals) list

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pets/wildlife/protect/documents/dwa-animallist.pdf

Also here's a list to the scorpion files just so you can get an idea of how many we are not allowed without a licence

http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/gallery.php

Ughh nooo Sad lol
Like i said i'm noob but does the list allow me to have without a licence an emperor scorpion?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 9:01 pm

Yeah you DON'T need a licence for an emp or basically most forest scorpions if you check out the scorpion files link you can see how many are under buthidae but you can also see how many others there are that we are allowed without a licence ,(non buthidae) if you check my sig you can see which we have ATM without needing a licence and there are many more Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vinal
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 9:14 pm

231bex wrote:
Yeah you DON'T need a licence for an emp or basically most forest scorpions if you check out the scorpion files link you can see how many are under buthidae but you can also see how many others there are that we are allowed without a licence ,(non buthidae) if you check my sig you can see which we have ATM without needing a licence and there are many more Very Happy

great!! Very Happy Thanks! sooo if i was getting an emp, what kinda set up would you suggest?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 9:34 pm

Here's a link to the emp caresheet on the forum all you need to know is on there, also I would suggest checking out the scorpion pics/ show of yOur enclosures thread as there are many pics if peoples enclosure in there Very Happy

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/caresheets-f29/pandinus-imperator-and-most-heterometrus-spp-tropical-forest-scorpions-t38.htm

Enclosure pics - https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t11-show-off-your-enclosures

Back to top Go down
Vinal
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty12/29/2010, 9:52 pm

231bex wrote:
Here's a link to the emp caresheet on the forum all you need to know is on there, also I would suggest checking out the scorpion pics/ show of yOur enclosures thread as there are many pics if peoples enclosure in there Very Happy

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/caresheets-f29/pandinus-imperator-and-most-heterometrus-spp-tropical-forest-scorpions-t38.htm

Enclosure pics - https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/t11-show-off-your-enclosures

Ah thanks a lot Very Happy you know your stuff ^_^!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: FIRST SCORPION ADVICE   FIRST SCORPION ADVICE Empty

Back to top Go down

FIRST SCORPION ADVICE
Page 1 of 1