The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.

Go down 
+9
Mr. Mordax
_scorpio_
*~BEX~*
Jay
**GS**
nynoname
H. laoticus
the lycan mikey
Nev
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-12-07

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty
PostSubject: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 2:39 pm

Just thought I would share what I have been building for my Desert Hairy. I still have a lot to do but this is the main part and gives you the basic idea. Next Im adding some dry moss in some nooks and corners at the top and also will be adding interior + exterior lighting for looks (when i want to show it off. Not on constantly). Red light in the skull and a black light on the inside top or spot lighting the corner. Something like that heheh. This was made using an Exo Terra 12x12x12. Kinda wish I had gone with the 18 but thats ok. It fits into my black ikea shelving which has 16x13x13 cubed spaces. Fits perfectly.
Was going to add a live cactus but ran out of room. I might make a plater for the side wall up top or at the back. Not sure yet.
Never had a scorpion before so I hope this works and I hope it likes its enclosure. Not sure where to put the heat source though. Ideas?

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Desert11

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Desert12

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Desert13

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Desert14
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 3:01 pm

OH THAT IS SOOOOO NICE!!! Very Happy good job! You should come an decorate my enclosures aswell Wink

Thumbs up on that!
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 4:08 pm

René wrote:
OH THAT IS SOOOOO NICE!!! Very Happy good job! You should come an decorate my enclosures aswell Wink

Thumbs up on that!

+1 good job dude
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 4:48 pm

Very nice! Best designing I've seen yet Smile
Back to top Go down
nynoname
Babycurus
nynoname

Number of posts : 308
Registration date : 2010-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 4:53 pm

thats really cool good stuff!!! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 5:03 pm

It's where the pirate treasure of doom is burrowed Wink guarded by the giant scorpion from hell! Lol!
Back to top Go down
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 7:11 pm

Heres a shot of it in the bookshelf. A little dark because its night here... scorp should like the dark nook anyways Smile

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. _mg_5110

Last edited by Nev on 12/15/2010, 9:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 7:14 pm

That is so cool Very Happy
Back to top Go down
**GS**
Leiurus
**GS**

Number of posts : 2629
Registration date : 2010-09-06

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/14/2010, 8:11 pm

Somehow i just guessed that your works will leave deep impressions!
Thats one HELL of a wicked looking desert enclosure Twisted Evil
Pse keep up the great work mate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 7:05 am

Very nice work, thats probably the best looking desert set-up i'v seen. Shows what abit of attention to detail can do. Keep it up mate. Care do delve any deeper into how you pieced it together?

I think a Haddy will do very well in there, very lucky scorp!
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 9:28 am

very nice! you should do a step by step guide i bet everyone is wondering how you did certain things, i know i am, Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 9:53 am

231bex wrote:
very nice! you should do a step by step guide i bet everyone is wondering how you did certain things, i know i am, Very Happy

+1! Do it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 10:22 am

Somebody tell me where I should place my heatmat on this tank and Ill share my secrets Wink
I took some step by step pics too. Kinda. Ill post em later on when I get a chance. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 10:40 am

On the sides! It will burrow to keep it self cool so it wouldn't be advisable to place it underneath it Wink
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 10:53 am

on the side at the back i would say Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 11:14 am

what have you used on the bits where there is sand stuck vertically in gaps??? excavator clay? tile grout mixed with sand? really interesting tank... i might have to do my desert hairy's tank again...
Back to top Go down
Jay
SCORPIONMOD
Jay

Number of posts : 1250
Registration date : 2010-05-05

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 11:40 am

^^^ I'd like to know this too. I feel a re-do coming on aswel Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://inkandvenom.multiply.com/
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 11:58 am

Thing is I have exposed glass in the caves. Should I clay that up so I can place the heatpad there? I was thinking the bottom right side corner (heatpad can wrap i think). I think Id like to heat up those caves.
I guess the smallest size would work with this size tank. Though I live in a cold apt in the winters where i gets about 19-20c (about 67F).
Back to top Go down
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 11:59 am

Yeah its ex clay. Reminds me of kitty litter lol
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 12:15 pm

i dunno really they burrow and use hides to cool down normally so maybe not?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 12:35 pm

231bex wrote:

Seconded. One of the reasons to burrow is to cool off, so I'd put the heatmat above ground level.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 1:16 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
231bex wrote:

Seconded. One of the reasons to burrow is to cool off, so I'd put the heatmat above ground level.

I agree...
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 3:01 pm

Yes, do make a tutorial for us noobs!!
I've love to see more of your work Smile I don't think you have to clay up the exposed areas--are you talking about the back end of the tank?
Back to top Go down
Nev
Pandinus
Nev

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 3:28 pm

Hmm. See, Id like to have it hidden (the mat). So having it at the back would be awesome but not sure how much heat could get through since Its made from insulation foam. The parts I can see geting through is the exposed glass behind the skull and to the right of the tank.
So maybe above and wrapped around the corner? Chin Scratch
If not then maybe just fully on the right above ground level. For the desert hairy in a 12x12x12, which size heat mat do you think I should use? I was looking at the Zoomed mats since ExoTerra mats suck the big one. Razz
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty12/15/2010, 3:41 pm

Think a lamp may be a better idea
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.   New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that. Empty

Back to top Go down

New Terrarium of Desert Doom... or something like that.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next