The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty
PostSubject: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 4:52 pm

Hi all we have just purchased 3 Scorpio maurus to keep together in the same tank and they have been sold to us as communal and everything I've read and people I've spoken to have mostly said thy are communal however I have been advised not to keep them communally as from experience Rene has found them to not be communal at all .... Now I'm worried .... Has anyone else kept this species communally successfully?? Do I need to get one tank or three...., got till Wednesday lol ..... And thank you to Rene for informing me about his experience with them or I would prly have never even considered being non communal Neutral
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 5:09 pm

We could have stayed on the old topic, i think Wink

Also just read in an article of "Exotic Insects" (a danish association of nerds, like myself) that it was (quote) Inadvisable!

And seriousely I kid you not! Mine was hostile towards eachother (and me, and the rocks, and the hide, and the...)!
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 5:22 pm

Well I really appreciate you telling me as I am really worried now lol and sorry thought I'd post a separate topic to try and get some attention as it's a kinda of urgent thing as they gonna be here in a few days lol

I like the way they sound like they have attitude lol I don't mind having 3 tanks just would like to know either way Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 5:36 pm

I found a caresheet on Jan Ove Reins webpage "the Scorpion Files".

It states that they are often found in colonies, but each scorpion has it's own burrow Chin Scratch

I don't get it then, why mine was so aggressive? Maybe they were jsut stressed out? I'm confused now anyway?

Funny fact though, I read they were the first scorpions to be described scientificly EVER Shocked
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 5:41 pm

Wow that is a really awesome fact well I dunno what to do now lol try them together and then separate if I have problems I guess lol

Is your pic one of your scorps?? Amazing pic!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 5:46 pm

Yea, I guess that's the best way to go about it... Put them out close to eachother so you get a chance to monitor their reaction to eachother! then keep an eye on them like every 5 minutes for a couple of hours... I tell you mine was attacking eachother INSTANTLY! If they show any hostility to eachother, I would seperate them! On the other hand, if <hopscotch> hits the fan, you get one well fed scorpion Wink lol

My profile picture? No, it was a picture I found online and cut it out so I think it's hardly regonisable! Hope no one will hit me with the copyright rule now Wink But I didn't have any good close up pictures of the "face"!

Update: Oh, lol, the censurship! Hopscotch? lol!
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 5:50 pm

desert species arent often communal, and i think that is the same for this species, however i may be thinking of another species...
may i ask where you are getting them from? these are a species i have always wanted to keep.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 6:04 pm

We are getting them from Martin French bugzuk
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/25/2010, 7:58 pm

LadyRiotControl on here had a lot of success with that species (but she hasn't been on in forever). Try PMing her on Facebook -- she might be able to help. Her name is Lisa Baines, I think.
Back to top Go down
TELOW
Centruroides
TELOW

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/26/2010, 12:47 am

they are a bit testy and i have lost a few to this same thing with these
so i think it would be safer to keep them seperate they are kind of agressive towards others
unless your thinking of breeding them and you seperate them after they breed
i wouldnt do it other than that or if you have a big enclosure with a good amount of space
for them to burrow and keep clear of eachother

just my input
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty11/26/2010, 10:26 am

In general not communal... even if you try to introduce potential a mate... you have to watch out for hostile behavior... Breeding Scorpio maurus is quite tricky since you need to allow them to construct deep burrows for them to feel comfortable with the captive situation enough to breed....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?   Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!? Empty

Back to top Go down

Communal it not????? I'm confused!?!?!?
Page 1 of 1