The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
drek
Pandinus
drek

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-06-01

Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons. Empty
PostSubject: Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.   Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons. Empty9/12/2010, 8:13 am

Hi,

I had a Tityus Stigmurus and it has died when it was trying to molt (I think).
It had been not eating for approx 20 days before it tried to molt and sometimes (in these 20 days) I saw it wandering close to the very humid part of its cage.
Yesterday I found it upside down and I thought it was molting. No movements for the entire day and then I have tried to touch it, and yeah, it was dead.

I am trying to figure out the reasons, i would be glad if u could help me.

What I have thought so far is:

1) I don't think it was because of the humidity because it was approx 70% in general but:
- There was a very humid part of the cage: why has it chosen not to molt in it if it was not enough humid where it tried?
- There is no sign of it molting. So i don't think it tried but it couldn't get out of it because it was too dry.

2) I have moved the cage like 2 months ago but I don't think it was "soo stressed" because it went on eating normally after the cage was moved.

3) I breed meal worms and I only feed my animals with them. I have thought that maybe I don't feed well the feeders (not enough protein maybe) and so my animals eat something which doesnt give them enough energies... can it be?

This year a spider died for the same reason (even if it didnt eat for 6 months before trying to molt...)..

If u have any suggestions, ideas, or anything, I'll be extremely glad... thank you ^_^
Back to top Go down
dylstac
Hadogenes
dylstac

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2010-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.   Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons. Empty9/14/2010, 7:25 am

What instar was it at?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.   Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons. Empty9/15/2010, 8:48 pm

Sorry for your loss.
I don't know what the cause of death is, either.
I have read that meal worms are high in fat compared to the protein in roaches, but that doesn't seem like the cause, though. By upside down do you mean hanging on a vertical hide?

Last edited by H. laoticus on 9/20/2010, 5:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpiongeek
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-09-09

PostSubject: Re: Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.   Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons. Empty9/20/2010, 5:09 am

I've read that it's not very healthy to feed a scorpion on just mealworms as they are very fatty
next time maybe try locusts or crickets
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.   Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons. Empty

Back to top Go down

Tytius died "molting": trying to figure out the reasons.
Page 1 of 1