The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

??? Canniblistic crickets ???

Go down 
+4
binksyboy3
iitomodachi1
andrew saken
MAGNUM
8 posters
AuthorMessage
MAGNUM
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-08-26

??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty
PostSubject: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/27/2010, 11:28 pm

Just noticed today that the crickets hav been eating eachother. Is this bad?
Back to top Go down
andrew saken
Hadogenes
andrew saken

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2010-06-23

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/28/2010, 12:07 am

i see crickets eating each other all the time. if they have nothing else to eat then they eat what they can...
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/28/2010, 2:34 am

If you are keeping them for a little while put a little water in for them and I put some roach food, total cereal will do or probably cat or dog food. Otherwise it's no biggy they will do that.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/28/2010, 7:22 am

Yep crickets like to munch on one another when they're hungry.

You can help avoid it by placing some food in there for them. This includes pretty much anything, cereal, fruit, veg etc
Back to top Go down
MAGNUM
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/28/2010, 10:50 am

Ok kewl and another problem I'm having is they won't shut up at night an there chirping keeps me up.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/28/2010, 11:05 am

Only way around that is to get just enough to be eaten right away or use a differrent feeder. Blaptica Dubia Cockroaches are popular and work well. Super worms and meal worms work well too but are much higher in fat and have less protein.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/28/2010, 11:28 am

The chirping ones are the ones with wings, so all I can suggest is to try and feed the ones with wings to your scorps first, before feeding them the other ones.

The other option is brown (banded) crickets as opposed to brown (silent) crickets.

The silent crickets make noise, the banded crickets don't. The banded crickets are still a type of brown cricket but are higher in nutritional value.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty8/31/2010, 2:47 pm

MAGNUM wrote:
Ok kewl and another problem I'm having is they won't shut up at night an there chirping keeps me up.

Lol it did the same thing to me. After a week or 2, you dont even notice that the sound is there.
Back to top Go down
MAGNUM
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 3:31 pm

Well all the crickets died and he didn't eat any of them but I did find some small lizards so I put one in his tank hopefully he likes them better.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 3:41 pm

ummm... locusts?
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

Number of posts : 4246
Registration date : 2010-08-29

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 4:53 pm

We got a box of crickets with the new emp we got just over a week ago and have only fed him 3 and the rest have died how do I keep them alive longer didn't expect them to die that quick my sister keeps frogs and newts and her crickets stay alive for ages, wondering if I was given rubbish crickets lol
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 5:40 pm

ask her... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 6:03 pm

She doesn't do anything with them they just last a long time, might go bk to shop and complain get some freebies they are meant to last over a week right?? I dunno I'm a noob Neutral
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 6:09 pm

All depends, they could have been hungry, old, stressed. I've had batches of crickets last a week and some a couple of days. If I put some roach food and water in the container I have not had any die. If you don't have roach food (assuming prly not), you could put fruit or veggies in there. I think I remember have some eat strawberries, that gets a bit messy though. You could also try crushed up dog food or like total bran cereal. Hopefully that helps.
Back to top Go down
KanoVerda
Pandinus
KanoVerda

Registration date : 2010-07-29

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/6/2010, 8:12 pm

I use a mixture of oatmeal and dog food that I grind up with one of those Slap Chops. My crickets have been living to the stages where they are getting very big and my Emp loves it. I also toss an apple core in the keeper every day after eating the apple myself. :p

I am still new to this as well but after 2 months this has been working miracles for me. Just this week I started adding a little bit of tropical fish flakes to the mixture I make just because crix will eat about anything and I happened to have it laying around. They go crazy for it.
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 3:01 am

Ah cool thanx have got fish food so will try that did put a bottle cap of water in but a few decided to drown themselves in it but the rest just seemed to drop dead a few a day also had put celery leaves in and they appeared to be munching that a bit, we don't have a proper cricket keeper box though just the small container they came in would it help having a proper box u think? Well excited our new emp should be here today..... Yay
Back to top Go down
MAGNUM
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 6:39 am

What size tank is a gd size to breed scorps in?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 7:46 am

Quote :
we don't have a proper cricket keeper box though just the small container they came in would it help having a proper box u think?

I'd recommend just something like this
http://www.petco.com/product/5914/PETCO-Pet-Keeper-for-Small-Animals.aspx

I'm not sure what you get your crickets in, here we get them in a plastic bag.
I have one that has tubes in either side specifically for Crickets too that I tried and don't like it. The tubes are intended for crickets to climb into, you pull the tube out and shake it into the enclosure so you are not spending time catching crickets, supposed to be easier. I don't think it is worth paying the extra $ for it as the tubes are only semi functional; crickets don't always go in them and when they do you may bet too many crickets that come out into your enclosure and it is harder to get them out of the enclosure than it is the small kritter keeper. May as well get them out of the container with tongs. You are risking the cricket tearing it's leg off trying to escape which I actually prefer when it happens. It creates a clean tear and slows the cricket down for the scorps. If you ever try pulling a leg off you may rip some extra stuff off too killing the cricket. This is all my preference though, you may have to find what works for you.

As for them drowning, I use a gatorade cap which is slightly larger then normal bottle cap, I then fill it up just enough to cover the bottom of it. So if the crickets fall in it they can easily walk in it. The should be able to drink droplets so you don't have to keep much water in there and inevitably it will spill if you fill it up anyway. Someone on here had a great little quote as signature about Crickets needing a suicide hotline, you may get a kick out that with this experience Very Happy

Good luck with the new scorps, post some pics when you get em' if you want, I know I like looking at everyone's collections Smile
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 7:50 am

Quote :

I'll let one of the others answer this as I know nothing about breeding, I'm too new and of the if it happens it happens attitude. Maybe in the future or if I get my hands on some rare species I'll try it though. Good luck
Back to top Go down
*~BEX~*
Administrator
*~BEX~*

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 7:53 am

lol yeah have seen that sig doesn't it say something like crickets need a suicide hotline or swimming lessons lol......why is this topic in the pictures a vids bit?
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 8:22 am

Quote :
why is this topic in the pictures a vids bit

I'm not sure, never noticed. I always look on the profile at the new posts scrolling and didn't realize where it was originally posted.

I guess it may end up being moved then.

Mods, sorry for adding to it then Sad
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty9/7/2010, 4:07 pm

MAGNUM wrote:

Whatever tank you're keeping them in is fine. Just mix the substrate around, move the furnishings etc to eliminate any territorial issues and introduce them both at the same time to the "new" set-up. Also, I'd strongly suggest removing the male afterwards.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, ensure that you have a flat surface in their, such as a piece of slate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ??? Canniblistic crickets ???   ??? Canniblistic crickets ??? Empty

Back to top Go down

??? Canniblistic crickets ???
Page 1 of 1