The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Heterometrus longimanus

Go down 
+6
LXDNG79
binksyboy3
the lycan mikey
Mr. Mordax
titus
Solrac1993
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Solrac1993
Pandinus
Solrac1993

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-05-09

Heterometrus longimanus Empty
PostSubject: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/11/2010, 3:41 am

Hello everybody, I am new here and I'm a noob. I am about to buy my first scorpion. It's a couple of Heterometrus longimanus (I would like to breed them), I have many experience with reptiles but none with arachnids, so if anyone could give me some info that would be great!
Back to top Go down
titus
Pandinus
titus

Number of posts : 6

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/11/2010, 4:03 am

I'm abit new to scorpions myself but can tell you from keeping taratulas and other inverts. That you are looking at a lot less work. In all I feel that the caging is most important, if the cage keeps the temps and humidity and provides for enough air flow to pervent mold. The only thing you have to worry about is misting, feeding and cleaning. I would recommend using a false bottom set up like most do using rocks under the substrate, I normally use the Expanded clay pellets (after a good washing) that are used for hydroculture, because of the weight.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/11/2010, 10:14 pm

Keep it warm.

Keep it humid.

Give 'em a few inches of substrate (such as coconut fiber).

If they don't eat, don't panic.

Don't put a heat mat on the underside of the tank.

That's pretty much the basics.
Back to top Go down
Solrac1993
Pandinus
Solrac1993

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/12/2010, 12:34 pm

Thank you both for answering my question!

Mr. Mordax, I have read a book that said that you could put a heat mat on the underside of the tank, but only 1/3 of it (so the scorpion can choose between warm or cold), does this also count for this species? And also, what kind of light should I use?
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/12/2010, 1:11 pm

everybody says to never put a heat mat on the bottom of the tank, incase the scorpion wants to get away from they heat, they can burrow away from it...put it on the back of the tank...

and i dont think its a good idea to use a light, unless its purely a heat emitter or its just a red light
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/12/2010, 1:53 pm

Solrac1993 wrote:
I have read a book that said that you could put a heat mat on the underside of the tank, but only 1/3 of it (so the scorpion can choose between warm or cold), does this also count for this species? And also, what kind of light should I use?

Mikey's right, Never place a heat mat on the underside of a tank because scorpions will naturally burrow to get away from the heat when they are too hot. Putting the heat source underneath will go against their natural instincts and could stress or potentially kill them.

Just stick the heat mat on the back side.

If you are going to use a heat lamp, it needs to be a red bulb. Scorpions are negatively phototactic meaning that they don't like any type of light apart from red because they cannot see it on their spectrum.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty5/13/2010, 5:30 am

Heterometrus longimanus

I'm quite familiar with this species... I gather you're taking in a couple of juveniles or subadults. But first and foremost, it is crucial to confirm that they are indeed H. longimanus rather than other Heterometrus species. This is only possible when the specimens are fully matured. With regards to sexing this is also the case. This species has sexual dimorphism that clearly distinguishes between males and females; males have evidently elongated pedipalps and are not commonly acquired outside Southeast Asia as they don't look particularly attractive in the commercial.

Once they are fully matured, take pictures of each specimen of the following: -

1. top view of the entire animal
2. closeup of the prosoma (carapace)
3. closeup of the chela (pincers; sideview)
4. closeup of the oatella (forearm of the pedipalp)
5. closeup of the telson (sting)

For future Heterometrus species identification, pls include close-up shots of the prosoma, chela, patella and telson, as these are the primary ID keys for the genus.

For more on Heterometrus species identification keys, download Frantisek Korvarik's 2004 revison of the genus Heterometrus available from his site. http://kovarex.com/scorpio/

Heterometrus are decidedly communal, but if you have any large mature females, keep them separated because they will fight. Males only fight over breeding rights to extents that are not that serious as the battles between giant females.

I posted a breeding report on them in this forum, which you can refer to regarding the breeding of this species
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/breeding-reports-f19/heterometrus-longimanus-t4634.htm

I haven't made any updates as of yet but currently, the babies are still under the protective guard of mom and I have not been compelled to separate them.

Best regards, Cheers
LX
Back to top Go down
Noctrnl
Hadogenes
Noctrnl

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2009-06-22

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty6/16/2010, 1:23 pm

this species is communal correct?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty6/21/2010, 2:37 pm

Yes, they can be kept together more safely than other species.
Back to top Go down
LXDNG79
Tityus
LXDNG79

Number of posts : 605
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty10/26/2010, 5:49 am

H. laoticus wrote:
Yes, they can be kept together more safely than other species.

hold that thought... I've been working on some experiments to determine the extents of their communality.
Back to top Go down
Kerrby
Centruroides
Kerrby

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2010-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty10/26/2010, 10:38 am

Alex, you might continue to be my hero. And I'm almost positive that everytime I read a post, my Het. collection grows.

I'm currently working on an algorithem to dictate your posts VS my collection.

But either way, Solrac, follow this man's advice.

And a sidenote, my Het's love to climb and burrow. Most tropic scorps seem to (atleast those I keep). Don't be surprised to see it, and make sure you have a good lid.
Back to top Go down
iitomodachi1
Tityus

Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2010-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty10/26/2010, 8:45 pm

Kerrby wrote:
Alex, you might continue to be my hero. And I'm almost positive that everytime I read a post, my Het. collection grows.

I'm currently working on an algorithem to dictate your posts VS my collection.

But either way, Solrac, follow this man's advice.

And a sidenote, my Het's love to climb and burrow. Most tropic scorps seem to (atleast those I keep). Don't be surprised to see it, and make sure you have a good lid.

I second all of this ^^^ Very Happy
As well as the other posts. Welcome to the forum. I'm constantly amazed with the wealth of knowledge this community has and how readily everyone is to help out and share. Good luck on your new scorps and projects, post some pix too at some point Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heterometrus longimanus   Heterometrus longimanus Empty

Back to top Go down

Heterometrus longimanus
Page 1 of 1