The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Newb with some questions

Go down 
+5
Sithis
binksyboy3
anemiaffx
the lycan mikey
kadama
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
kadama
Hadogenes

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2010-03-11

Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 9:36 am

He doesn't fall because he loses grip, he falls because he doesn't crawl off, he crawled around on it for 5minutes last night without falling, crawling back and fourth untill he finally decided to get off (upon closer watching he crawls to the lowest point he can find on the plant and just lets go.) and wander around. He doesn't fall more then (atmost) 1-2 inches.
He is far from old or slow, he is the most aggressive emp. that was at the store. He respondes very quickly if the other one touches him.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

Number of posts : 635
Registration date : 2010-01-26

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 1:11 pm

Ehhh people say there egressive, but i think ive come to terms, thats its all about when you bother them. The emps i have are very chill and so forth, but when i wake them up at certain times when they are asleep, they spin around and claw at me as well. And that little bit of a drop is fine nothing will come from it.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 1:55 pm

Aggressiveness is also down to the individual specimen. Some are agressive and some aren't. I've had the most docile emp in the world and one that has always been incredibly aggressive, so it just depends alot of the time.

Also, a drop like that shouldn't do any harm to the scorpion. Smile
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

Number of posts : 865
Registration date : 2010-01-28

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 5:11 pm

anemiaffx wrote:
the lycan mikey wrote:
it could be...
it might be old age, depending on how old yours are?

mine dont have good grip alot of the time either, like when they're crawling on my hands, both seem to fall alot, but i let mine land on my pants so i can pick them up again and put them back in the tank

well lycan the reason that would be is because they havent matured enough for those little claws to grip your hairs on your hands... Mine are full size and adults and they can walk all the way around my hand. Even upside down but i dont risk that.

And the falling out of the plant is just him/her exploring around. As long as there isnt any rocks or so forth for them to land on, it should be fine. The coco fibers give a good enough landing spot.

mine are both mature adults...
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/profile.php?ref=profile&
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 5:29 pm

are there telsons dark brown/red?
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 6:18 pm

Unless he's trying to climb a 2 ft+ plant in your tank with sharp rocks on the bottom, he isn't going to be harmed. Don't forget they are covered in armor.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 6:21 pm

H. laoticus wrote:
Unless he's trying to climb a 2 ft+ plant in your tank with sharp rocks on the bottom, he isn't going to be harmed. Don't forget they are covered in armor.

lol armor...
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 7:21 pm

the telsons are both deep blood red on both scorpions
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 7:53 pm

One is Brown the other is Dark Red.

Also, tank didn't seem to be holding enough humidity so I put seran wrap on it and punched a few holes and a peice of wood on either end where they might be able to push the wrap away, peice of wood with a book on it. How many holes should there be? a whole bunch or just enough that I feel safe?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 9:36 pm

It takes a lot to drown an emp. They can (and will) completely submerge themselves if given the opportunity. Just make sure the dish is such that they can climb out when they're done.

Day / night cycles aren't that important -- in the wild, an emp will spend most of its time in a burrow anyway.

I can NOT advocate for the use of plastic wrap to maintain humidity. Restricting air flow is never a good idea. If it's not humid enough, just dump some water on the substrate. If you're reading a humidity gauge, throw it away -- they're all but useless.

Climbing and falling is normal exploratory behavior. Eventually they'll settle in and rarely leave the burrow.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/13/2010, 9:41 pm

i agree with everything but the thing about the gauge. My gauge works fine. It tells me exactly what seems right. From my 30% humidity for my paucidens to my 80% for my emps. Even 50% for normal air.
Back to top Go down
H. laoticus
Parabuthus
H. laoticus

Number of posts : 1401
Registration date : 2009-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 6:20 am

kadama wrote:
One is Brown the other is Dark Red.

Also, tank didn't seem to be holding enough humidity so I put seran wrap on it and punched a few holes and a peice of wood on either end where they might be able to push the wrap away, peice of wood with a book on it. How many holes should there be? a whole bunch or just enough that I feel safe?

If the emp can reach the seran wrap, it WILL escape. This is based on personal experience. The emp can easily rip a whole and get out. Don't worry so much about the humidity. Just dump water onto the substrate and soak the whole thing through so it's moist to the touch. No need for covering anything and it's perfectly fine.
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 10:11 am

Mr. Mordax wrote:

I can NOT advocate for the use of plastic wrap to maintain humidity. Restricting air flow is never a good idea. If it's not humid enough, just dump some water on the substrate. If you're reading a humidity gauge, throw it away -- they're all but useless.

Is cardboard going to restrict it just as much though?
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 1:21 pm

ive never tried with cardboard but it seems that the moisture from the humidity would just be absorbed into the cardboard since its so dry and it would probably eventually mold...
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 2:14 pm

Unless it's a special type of cardboard with wet strength added during the manufacturing process*, it's permeable to moisture, so water vapor should be able to pass through (but a bit slower). However, you're still restricting air flow, which is not a good thing to do.

I'll say it again: if you want to keep humidity up, just dump water on the substrate or use a false-bottom.

*I work in a pulp and paper mill that produces all sorts of stuff, so I know a bit about that. Wink
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 6:21 pm

Well, then, I need to know 'what' to use as a lid, as my tank didn't come with one.
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 6:46 pm

I got myself a big piece of plexi glass and just had it shaped so it fits the top of the lid perfectly. Its the best thing i could have. I just took a drill with the small size drill bits and made some holes all over the top. Its perfect.
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 7:30 pm

or you can measure out the top of the tank and go get a screen lid from a pet store...
i did that and have 9/10ths of the lid covered with saran wrap
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 9:37 pm

Yuh, I don't really make much money, getting what I have as it is sapped my spendingmoney for the rest of the month, will this be fine untill then?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/14/2010, 10:01 pm

If you don't have the cash to buy a lid for your tank, use the cardboard, but cut a hole out of the center to allow for ventilation. Then weight the corners (rocks, books, whatever) so the cardboard doesn't fall off very easily.
Back to top Go down
MrWin
Centruroides
MrWin

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2010-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/15/2010, 2:41 am

I got a plexi glass that covers most of the tank. Or you could use a moist towel =)
Back to top Go down
anemiaffx
Tityus
anemiaffx

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/15/2010, 5:15 pm

Plexi works good. I have it for the top of my hadogenes tank.
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/15/2010, 6:34 pm

Like I said before I don't make much money so whatever is cheapest is what I will probably end up using. also Mog just ate for the first time today. Very happy.
Back to top Go down
kadama
Hadogenes

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/15/2010, 10:56 pm

I also got a good look underneth mog, the pec's are much smaller or w/e their called, and look closer to the female pics I've seen..
Back to top Go down
the lycan mikey
Tityus
the lycan mikey

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty3/15/2010, 11:01 pm

lol the pectines dont do it as accurately as looking at their genital operculum

http://www.ntnu.no/ub/scorpion-files/scorpion_anatomy.jpg
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newb with some questions   Newb with some questions - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Newb with some questions
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next