The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Texas scorp

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2010-02-04

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 4:28 am

I'm thinking about getting one does anyone know there temperment or anything about them?
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2010-01-05

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 12:57 pm

we have 20 species spread out over an area, that by itself is larger than all but a few countries. Which one?
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 1:53 pm

Sorry not to specify it's called a Texas yellow scorp but I can't find anything on them and dont know it's scientific name
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 2:15 pm

Sinistersoljer wrote:
Sorry not to specify it's called a Texas yellow scorp but I can't find anything on them and dont know it's scientific name

Well, without a pic, you are going to have to look! Smile I've never heard of a common name of T. yellow.

So go to this page. http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/scorpiones/index.html

Then scroll down to table of contents. Then go to checklist by state. Look at Texas species list.
Now go back to the table of contents. You will see above checklist by state, Checklist by family.
There are four of them. Click on those and look at texas species in there and see what you think. A few links don't work. So for those, google them, and find a picture. Otherwise, a good pic would solve it pretty quick usually. But If I can see it quickly, you can find it pretty quick on the pages above. And you will learn along the way. Either way is fine with me. But that common name isn't very common, so I am stuck without more. Smile Good luck!
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 2:20 pm

Sinistersoljer wrote:

I should think he's probably on about Hadrurus Arizonensis (Desert Hairy) ?

Edit: Try looking at google images and see if that's the one you mean.
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 2:56 pm

There are no Hadrurus' in Texas
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 3:08 pm

Weird enough that's it I'm not sure why it was called Texas yellow the exotic guy is not on top of his species I guess but it is desert hairy and are they aggressive at all I haven't recieved him yet just want to know what to exspect but thanks and sorry to mislead with the Texas thing
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 3:27 pm

Sinistersoljer wrote:
Weird enough that's it I'm not sure why it was called Texas yellow the exotic guy is not on top of his species I guess but it is desert hairy and are they aggressive at all I haven't recieved him yet just want to know what to exspect but thanks and sorry to mislead with the Texas thing

Not a big deal. It happens. Most pet stores Id's are wrong anyway. I didn't realize it was retail. Smile

I only had one DH for a while. It was one of the most "defensive" species I've had. Right their at the top. Mine charged me more than once. Of course, they have different attitudes just like people, even within their species. But if it's a healthy adult, be ready for it to tell you what it thinks. It probably will. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 3:51 pm

Thank for the info they are a 3 out of 5 correct venom wise
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 3:53 pm

I don't think so. I was thinking lower. Like a 2. But that's going further back in my memory than is reliable, so double check that. However, they get big, and can put a decent quantity of that 2 into you, so treat it like it will hurt. Because it will. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 4:04 pm

Ha I bet it will what's a good smaller scorpion to have all mine are large and plain I'd like a smaller one with a couple differant colors possibly to put in my 5 gallon
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 4:24 pm

How responsible of a 19 yr old are you? Do you party? Cause really, I think centruroides species are a cool scorpion, but they can have an extremely painful sting, even dangerous sometimes for small children. And they climb. But they are communal, pretty, and they climb and can often be seen out and about in the cage. They are hardy, cold and heat tolerant, dry and wet tolerant. They breed heartily, and I think are a lot of fun. You can also obtain them cheaper than most other species. Diplocentrus is my favorite genus, azjohn has some for sale now. My favorite scorpion I have access to though, I V. intermedius. I think I am probably the only place you can get it, and I don't have any right now. I really don't sell to non breeders much either, but its a cool U.S. scorpion that you should check out sometime. It's on the smaller side of medium sized scorps, but not a micro species either. Feisty as heck. Pretty. Nice and painful sting. Anyway, I don't know if you can get those anytime soon. https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/Nomadinexile/Vintermedius/

I like Vaejovids a lot. V. waueri is a U.S. micro species that is really pretty. And V. coahuilae is tiny! But again, I am the only person I've ever seen selling them so....

https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/Nomadinexile/Vwaueri/
https://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt279/Nomadinexile/Vcoahuilae/

Check out ras
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=172866

AZ john
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=172943

And of course, the classifieds here if you haven't already.
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 4:56 pm

Ok great thanks and would you sell me one of the micro species you had just commented about also do they use the same bedding and climate like the jaevoids and the other smaller ones? And yes I'm a responcible guy I just work play ps3 and look after my pets haha
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 5:21 pm

All the vaejovids I mentioned are from the NE part of the Chihuahuan Desert. Look at weather channel.com for ft. stockton, (a relatively, for sw texas, close town), and go to monthly averages. You can see humidity and temp averages for them. Smile Just remember, that's the average. "Soil" there consists of hard packed sand/clay? thinly over rock. With rocks, small bushes, and cacti around. Vaejovis sp.s generally make scrapes under small to medium rocks.

**Edit** Just wanted to add, those are surface temps and humidity in sun on surface. They are burrowed where it will be cooler during day, and it will be a little more humid there too. They come out at sunset. Smile **edit over**

I give them coco kept pretty dry except spring and fall I mist. Or sand/coco mix is good. If using sand, I would "hard" pack it and dry first.

I then add rock or flatter cork bark. (I go back and forth with that.)

I provide all my scorpions but the very smallest slings water dishes.

And If you are interested in getting a couple of breeding pairs of any of these species, please email the hushmail in signature with subject: LIST. I am sure I will have some in the future. I am unsure if I will always be able to put a list on the classifieds. I will be emailing a list though.
There will be a minimum due to the soon to be interesting circumstances. And I want my WC species being put into breeding so that they don't have to be wc forever and ever. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 5:39 pm

Ok thanks alot I'm going to do that and reservh the others you mentioned also is there a breeding feed on here so I can learn more on that
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 6:35 pm

Sounds good, have fun with your new DH. They are one of the coolest out there!
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 6:39 pm

Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Nstag8or
Pandinus
Nstag8or

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2010-01-29

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/4/2010, 10:14 pm

For what its worth. I had a Hadrurus Arizonensis several years ago. Live caught out of Phoenix. It was one of, if not THE most aggressive species I have had. She would regularly go into full defensive display just opening her enclosure and would attack the tongs I used to remove cricket corpses. that said, I learned a lot about caution in cleaning and maintenance from her, and she still holds a place in my heart. I can not comment on venom effects, I was not or was anyone I know hit by one. They do get big though so I would assume even if the venom is weak it would still hurt like hell. Best of luck, please post pics,
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 12:33 am

Thank you all of you and as for the pictures def will put some up! One more question how would I want to go about removing such an aggresive guy ? Haha like for tank maintence
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 3:13 am

Errm, there are a few ways you could do it:

1) Place you hand flat on the substrate and encourage it to walk backwards onto your hand. (This method is normally used to pick up hets or emps)

2) Simlar style - Get a mug or a cup and lay it down on its side, try and entise the scorpion into the cup and then pick the mug up carefully. Voila

These are the two that i use, i would use the cup method over the hand method if it is an aggressive sp, which in your case it is.
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 3:23 am

Ok thank you once again
Back to top Go down
Nstag8or
Pandinus
Nstag8or

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 12:16 pm

I had a fellow at the University of Minnesota show me a neat trick once for wrangling more aggressive species in a confined space. It a special tool you can make at home. Buy a pair of long handles tongs and then glue a 1" piece of soft sponge to each end. Make sure you get the type that is spring loaded to OPEN as it help to prevent damage to your scorpion. When you need to remove them for cleaning, transfer etc... you simply induce a defensive posture with tail up then grip them gently just below the telson, if you can get both the 4th and 5th segments it is best. Then carefully lift them into you storage or transfer container. Remember you can damage their tail if you apply to much pressure so be careful but the sponge will help to minimize the risk. This keeps your fleshy bits far away from their stingy bits Smile Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Nomadinexile
Centruroides
Nomadinexile

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 1:33 pm

You have some good ideas above that would work great I am sure. I am going to add mine for diversity, not because I think it's better. I use different methods at different times, and sometimes I change how I interact with them as I learn and get to know them.

I would use a TALL deli cup, or other plastic container with a lid (it may climb if it's not to slick)

Set it open in front of it. It will look at it. You take a chopstick, or tongs, and gently touch the back of its now presumably raised metasoma (tail). It should walk right in. It may take a couple of times to get it smooth at first, but it ends up being pretty easy. Modify as needed.
Back to top Go down
Sinistersoljer
Centruroides

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 3:09 pm

Great ideas do you guys have multiple scorps or just a couple I just wonder because I wanted to know if it gets really exspencive or if it's not to bad
Back to top Go down
Nstag8or
Pandinus
Nstag8or

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty2/5/2010, 3:20 pm

I only keep one at a time as a display piece on my desk in my office. They are prized possessions for me and I dote over them like a mother hen. While I find upkeep to be very inexpensive, about 4 crickets a month and maybe a pinkie as a treat every now and then I have been known to spend over $200 on just a display setup.

That said, I think it depends on how bad your addiction is, the size of your collection, and the species that you fancy as some require greater care. maintaining specific humidity levels, temperature, day and night lighting... can quickly get pricey.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Texas scorp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Texas scorp   Texas scorp Empty

Back to top Go down

Texas scorp
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next