The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?

Go down 
+2
Birdy339
RyoKenzaki
6 posters
AuthorMessage
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty
PostSubject: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 9:24 am

I have no idea how he got mycosis on his leg
I keep him bone dry for a year already, he have been doing fine all this while until recently i notice one of his leg in odd position
Upon further investigate i saw a dark spot of mycosis on it Sad
The legs from below the mycosis lvl is not functioning anymore, he is dragging it when walking around
I been thinking to amputate it together with the mycosis to prevent it spreading, what do u guys think?

Pictures here
Look at the position of the leg, pretty much prove that it's useless now
Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? DSC_0293
Close up
Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? DSC_0294
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2009-11-26

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 10:00 am

sorry for not answering on your post but im just curious, what is mycosis??
thanks jordan
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 11:05 am

mycosis is basically a fungus. It usually occurs in scorpions when kept too humid or if they have received an injury.
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 11:09 am

a thank you for the information, is it life threatening to scorpions?? and how would you amputate a scorpions leg?? sorry im just really curious:)
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 12:34 pm

it is pretty much always deadly there isnt really a cure. You can use iodine to slow it down.
To amputate I guess you could use tweezers close to its body then pull sharply.
But I wouldnt personally recommend it.

If you do remove the leg the chances are that the mycosis has already spread to other areas
the fungus seems to like book lungs.
Back to top Go down
Birdy339
Centruroides
Birdy339

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 1:16 pm

wouldnt doing that cause extreme pain and stress to the scorpion?? wouldnt it then die of shock??
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 2:00 pm

Birdy339 wrote:
wouldnt doing that cause extreme pain and stress to the scorpion?? wouldnt it then die of shock??

Possibly, but its either that or the scorp dies anyway if it spreads massively Sad

Last edited by binksyboy3 on 1/11/2010, 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 2:09 pm

just because it got a spot of mycosis doesnt mean it dies.. i have had alot of differnt scorps that have lived for a long period of time, some even still alive that have mycosis.. i wouldnt cut its leg off.. leave it and keep it dry
Back to top Go down
RyoKenzaki
Centruroides
RyoKenzaki

Number of posts : 247
Registration date : 2008-08-30

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/11/2010, 2:48 pm

The thing is the legs below the mycosis part already not functioning, im assuming its dead now and will start to rot or fall down real soon....
But i think i ll leave it and see what happen 1st before deciding
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty1/17/2010, 1:42 am

Do what Kejser suggested, he's one of our resident experts. I.e., DON'T PANIC. If you keep it nice and dry it shouldn't be an issue.

If the leg is permanently damaged, your scorp can still function fine without it. You run a much higher risk of injury if you try to amputate. It would take a long time for any infection to reach a critical area.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?   Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis? Empty

Back to top Go down

Should i amputate my LQ's leg with mycosis?
Page 1 of 1