The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

H. longimanus community?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

H. longimanus community? Empty
PostSubject: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty9/16/2009, 10:07 am

would a group of 3-5 H. longimanus work? i had 6 spinifer in a group last year and they all killed eachother and the last one died of old age a few weeks after killing its tankmates... Evil or Very Mad
so what do you think? they would be in a 2' x 1' x 1' with multiple hiding places..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty9/16/2009, 11:46 am

I've had eight from the same brood together in a 10-gallon for a couple years now, and only lost two (started with 10).
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty9/16/2009, 3:33 pm

is that because they were related?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty9/16/2009, 5:07 pm

Dunno. It's the only community I've had with this species.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty9/18/2009, 5:37 pm

I would say with Heterometrus you are far more likely to have a communal set up using young instar siblings than unrelated specimens. They are already used to each other and less likely to turn on each other.

Some species of Heterometrus, specifically the females, can become territorial and hunt down their tank mates. This is particularly true with swamerdammi and maderaspatensis

Personally I have never had a problem with adult spinnifer's together (these were unrelated as well) but they were in a huge tank.

This is something I am interested in as well so I'm building up my collection of various Heterometrus to document communal activity in captivity.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty9/18/2009, 11:20 pm

i have a tank with 6 H.petersii and it works like a charm.. allso got a tank with 2 H.spinifer works perfectly allso
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: H. longimanus community?   H. longimanus community? Empty

Back to top Go down

H. longimanus community?
Page 1 of 1