The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!

Go down 
+5
Mr. Mordax
binksyboy3
Lester
Kejser
scarface
9 posters
AuthorMessage
scarface
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-08-23

My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty
PostSubject: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 6:46 am

Hi guys,

My asian forest scorpion just had an unsuccessful 2nd moult- it shed its exoskeleton until its tail, but it just stopped at its tail. All the old molt ended all bunched up at its tail.

When I checked on it the next day, I think the old shell must have gotten snagged by the pieces of wood that I leave inside my tank and I think my scorpion ended up accidentally ripping its own tail off when it tried to move away. It's still young, approx. 2 inches.

My scorpion now has no tail. Do you guys know whether my scorpion will survive? And is there a possibility of the tail growing back like missing limbs?

I'm really upset about this so I'd appreciate some help here. I'll try and get some pictures up soon.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 7:51 am

Well first of all i remove the old exo if it gets stuck..
but i doubt i will survive missing its whole metasoma, so i would throw it into some boiling water, scorpions dont grow back missing limbs
Back to top Go down
Lester
Tityus
Lester

Number of posts : 505
Registration date : 2009-03-14

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 11:02 am

sorry to hear that .....

any pics to share ????
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 11:38 am

Kejser wrote:
so i would throw it into some boiling water, scorpions dont grow back missing limbs
Whats the boiling water for? To finish it off?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 1:33 pm

^Yeah, that's Kejser's method of euthanasia.

I've never heard of a scorpion missing the whole thing and surviving . . . but I've never heard of them losing it and NOT surviving, either. There's no essential organs in there, and I've heard of them living with only one pedipalp, so you never know.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 2:40 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
^Yeah, that's Kejser's method of euthanasia.

I've never heard of a scorpion missing the whole thing and surviving . . . but I've never heard of them losing it and NOT surviving, either. There's no essential organs in there, and I've heard of them living with only one pedipalp, so you never know.

Except its missing its anus and most of its colon ? but it might live but i doubt it..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 3:10 pm

I've known scorps to lose a telson and survive fine -- that would mean part of the anus is gone. And I'm not sure if that part of the colon is essential to digestion. Possibly extracting water from waste, but as a forest species, it can probably make up the lost water by drinking more.

Hmm . . . Chin Scratch . . . I think this makes for a unique observational opportunity in any case.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 3:26 pm

Well i think the muscle structure for the anus and telson are differnt but place in allmost the same place. But this is the whole Metasoma, but as you said going to be a unique observational opportunity.. Very Happy

Please keep us posted Scarface Very Happy and with pictures if you can Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 3:38 pm

https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com/scorpions-in-general-f12/when-mating-goes-bad-t2825.htm
my femal P. imperator lost the whole metasome and didnt survive, although the cause of death might not have been that, the male could have done something else that i didnt notice
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 3:47 pm

ouch!
Back to top Go down
The-New-Guy
Babycurus
The-New-Guy

Number of posts : 289
Registration date : 2009-07-29

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/23/2009, 9:06 pm

Mate thats proper bad luck about what happened! I have some idea of where your coming from, when my emp lost the end of its sting in a fight with my other emp i was down abit, but the whole tail you must feel bad, it aint your fault though so dont blame yourself, things like this just happen dude, im rooting for you though hope your scorp lives! Let us know
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/24/2009, 3:13 am

binksyboy3 wrote:
Kejser wrote:
so i would throw it into some boiling water, scorpions dont grow back missing limbs
Whats the boiling water for? To finish it off?
Kejser doesn't let things go to waste, so he eats them Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty8/24/2009, 3:45 am

It really is survival of the fittest.
You can either leave it and wait and see but I dont believe it will survive or you can finish it off in boiling water.
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!   My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail! Empty

Back to top Go down

My Asian Forest Scorpion lost its tail!
Page 1 of 1