The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Newbie here..please help

Go down 
+2
mrflibble
leon
6 posters
AuthorMessage
leon
Pandinus
leon

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-08-21

Newbie here..please help Empty
PostSubject: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/21/2009, 11:16 am

i was wondering if someone could help me distinguish a juvenile flat rock scorpion from a juvenile bark scorpion. Any distinct features that i could compare it from each other?? because i bought a scorpion and they said it was a bark scorpion but from the looks of it, it looks like a flat rock scorpion. (comparison of pictures found on the internet)

Note: i don't know the age but the size is a bout an inch from head to the tip of the tail.
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/21/2009, 11:39 am

could you post pictures? that would help, it should be fairly obvious, although it does depend what species you mean by those common names
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/21/2009, 12:57 pm

Flat rocks (Hadogenes spp.) have very skinny tails. Bark scorpions (myriad of genera, "bark scorpion" is about as unspecific as "forest scorpion) typically have fairly average-looking tails.

Flatties also have fairly robust chela (pinchers) even at an early age and are grey. Barks are all in the Buthidae family and will usually have quite slender chela and are usually shades of brown, yellow, or orange.
Back to top Go down
leon
Pandinus
leon

PostSubject: Scorp Pics   Newbie here..please help Empty8/22/2009, 11:37 pm

Newbie here..please help Dsc00014
Newbie here..please help Dsc00017
Newbie here..please help Dsc00018
it don't look like a bark scorpion to me.
Back to top Go down
mrflibble
Centruroides
mrflibble

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/23/2009, 4:14 am

thats definitely not a bark scorpion of any sort, it looks like a baby (maybe 2i) hadogenes trolodytes.
Back to top Go down
HyourinMaru
Pandinus
HyourinMaru

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2009-07-14

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/23/2009, 6:13 am

Looks like liocheles sp. to me Razz
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/23/2009, 11:25 am

looks like a young Hadogenes sp..
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/23/2009, 1:35 pm

Hadogenes and Liocheles look similar at that size . . . not sure which it is, and that's where it gets tricky, 'cause Hadogenes needs fairly dry conditions.
Back to top Go down
leon
Pandinus
leon

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/24/2009, 7:48 am

at least now i am definitely sure that it's not a bark scorpion. the guy who told me this is a bark scorpion is an idiot. does anyone have any tips on how to care for a liocheles or hadogenes sp.?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/24/2009, 9:05 am

Well, Hadogenes likes it extra dry on sandy substrate with flat pieces of rock to hide between. A little bit of moisture can be beneficial to younger instars.

I know nothing about the other genus, other than that it's a lot different than Hadogenes. If you can get a clearer / larger shot, someone may be able to help differentiate yours.
Back to top Go down
leon
Pandinus
leon

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/25/2009, 8:44 am

thank you everyone for your help. i really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty8/25/2009, 4:03 pm

Liocheles are your typical warm and humid species.

I have a very nice old piece of cork bark with lots of holes in that crickets have gradually eaten away over the years. Seems to be perfect for my wee Liocheles Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie here..please help   Newbie here..please help Empty

Back to top Go down

Newbie here..please help
Page 1 of 1