The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Emperor scorpion cannot open claw

Go down 
+3
Mr. Mordax
bjaeger
binksyboy3
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

Number of posts : 1690
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty
PostSubject: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/5/2009, 5:36 pm

i need advice.
My male is only about 3" long and appears that he cannot open his left claw, ever. whereas the right one is fine. i think he is coming up to a molt but dont know whether its due to this or whether its a disability. Any advice, would be grateful for it.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/5/2009, 6:05 pm

Moving this topic to the appropriate forum.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/6/2009, 1:34 am

Don't have much experience there.

What's your setup like? As far as molting goes, if it's mature, it won't molt anymore. Is 3" the body alone or does that include the tail?
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/6/2009, 11:55 am

if its still a juvenile there may be a chance that its claw will recover, i know socrps cant recover a lost limb but ive never heard anything about them not being able to repair muscles damage.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6OqeAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=praearcturus+gigas&source=web&ots=ZRt-_kaqmU&sig=c651HsxwN6NKlTFkviB8wjroJqU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=5&ct=result#PPA15,M1

at the bottom of page 15 theres a section about muscles you could try reading that to see if there is any mention of the scorps being able to heal from crippled muscles.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/6/2009, 12:41 pm

I don't think moulting effects muscles. It might help a little, though..
Back to top Go down
The-Scorp-Whisperer
Tityus
The-Scorp-Whisperer

Number of posts : 539
Registration date : 2008-12-16

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/6/2009, 7:50 pm

here's hoping, if not they can get along fine without a working claw there was someone either on her or bug nation that had a scorp missin the whole of its pedipalp and still managed to catch food no problem.

Binksyboy3, have you tried maybe opening it yourself or trying to encourage him to open it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.bebo.com/The_Scorp_Whisperer
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 7:34 am

Ive tried to get him to open it, but i havn't tried myself.
Im just a little worried coz ive got a female emp as well whom i think is gravid and they keep fighting then leaving each other alone and then fighting again. The problem is my male is gentle and doesn't attack her but she goes full out trying to get him. I have plenty of hides and i use coco fibre as the substrate with a bit of sphagnum moss on the top to retain moisture. He has been refusing food for about a week now whereas the female just eats and eats.

If she is gravid and she doesn't go flat again, how will i know when to feed her? Do i just feed her a cricket per week or something?

Thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 7:38 am

Also i would give one of them back to the shopkeeper if they keep fighting but i like them both a lot. My male is my favourite because he is calm and friendly. But i like my female a lot as well but she is quite vicious and probably gravid so im stuck there.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 11:46 am

feed her weekly. for adults I feed 1-2 crickets pet week.
Maybe every so often a hopper or a locust instead of a cricket(s)
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 1:06 pm

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 2:03 pm

Just separate them. Females are known to be aggressive towards tankmates when gravid.

Also, don't worry about your male not eating. Depending on the species, scorpions can fast for months up to over a year, and males tend to be more prone to this.

There's also the possibility that your male is calm and friendly and can't open his claw because he's old. Older scorps tend to slow down before they die. My first female emp was like this -- always much calmer and more handleable than my male, but she was slowly dying. (Don't panic yet, though; it took her over a year to die.)
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 3:13 pm

My male is only 3" long though including the tail (curled)
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 3:16 pm

Three inches curled could be a smaller adult. Which picture most closely resembles the color of his telson (the segment with the stinger)?

Emperor scorpion cannot open claw IMG_9356.sized

Emperor scorpion cannot open claw IMG_5390.sized
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 5:12 pm

The second one. Same as my female. But it just seems weird that she can be gravid even though she is so small.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 7:17 pm

well, most Grammostola roseas (tarantula species) are moderately sized, I had one produce an eggsack and it was TINY.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/7/2009, 7:56 pm

what size are you expecting them to be? lol.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 5:32 am

I heard that they grow to an average of 6" and can grow to as big as 8"
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 5:33 am

Mr.Mordax, does that mean that my scorpion is an adult then? or a juvenille?
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 10:40 am

are you counting the tail and pincers when you measure, or just the mesasoma?
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 11:24 am

the mesasoma and the tail (curled) but not the pincers
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 12:29 pm

I think the correct measurement for scorps is from the tip of the carapace to the start of the tail. 3 inches seems about right..
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 12:48 pm

seriously? I 've seen people on youtube with ones that are wider and much longer than mine. Unless of course the camera makes them look bigger. Look, here are two videos of their scorps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9v_HTrWPIc mine are very nearly two thirds of the size of those. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppgxt-6tc9E and these are 3-4 times the size of mine.
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 12:52 pm

some are bigger than others.

if the telson is this colour;

Emperor scorpion cannot open claw 3179781957_07d39ea27d

then it's an adult.
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 12:54 pm

Now this last one is a little bit bigger than mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJKC4hJy-bY
Back to top Go down
binksyboy3
Androctonus
binksyboy3

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty3/8/2009, 12:55 pm

Both my male (smaller) and my female have that colour for the telson but i just didn't expect them to be so small. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Emperor scorpion cannot open claw   Emperor scorpion cannot open claw Empty

Back to top Go down

Emperor scorpion cannot open claw
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next