The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

New tank setup

Go down 
+2
scorpion111
Gamer
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Gamer
Pandinus

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-02-06

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty2/6/2009, 1:01 pm

Greets gents/ladies. I used to keep a couple of Emps a few years ago and enjoyed it. During an ugly divorce my ex-wife killed em before I could relocate them though. I kept all the equipment, planning to start again one day. Well, that day is fast approaching. This time I wanted to do something more ornate with my enclosure. I researched my options. Based on what I already had, I descided to add a waterfall and false bottom. My plan was to create an 'aquifier' that will naturaly recycle waste. I placed about 2 inches of hydroballs in the bottom of a 10 gallon terrarium. I then placed nylon mesh over them to seperate them from the substrate. I purchased some 'eco-earth' from a local Pet Co and used it as a top layer. I placed a non-filter pump in the back corner and snaked the hose to the opposite end of the tank. The pump was a headache. It kept sucking up bits of hydroball and clogging. My solution to this, was to take some extra nylon mesh and wrap it around all the intakes on the pump. The pump has been running for 24 hours now with no worries. Compared to a 5 minute max run time without the mesh. I purchased a rock formation feeding dish designed for reptiles as my waterfall/waterdish. I also picked up a piece of driftwood and a piece of fake tropical foliage to hide the pump and tubing at the back of the tank. I have one 10 gallon adhesive heating pad covering about 1/3 of the bottom of the tank on the right side. I also have a smaller (5gallon) heating pad applied to the back wall on the right side as well. I bought some 'Frog Moss' as well. It is labeled as terrarium moss for reptiles and amphibians. I am thinking, as the moss's roots grow into the hydroball layer, this will complete the aquafier. This is a radical departure from my previous setup of sterilized potting soil and a water dish. I plan on keeping 2 Emperors in this tank. I applogize in advance for the poor photos. All I had available for the pictures is my cell phone. I am really seeking comments/suggestions.

New tank setup 013

New tank setup 014

New tank setup 015

New tank setup 017
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty2/6/2009, 1:52 pm

looks very good so far. Smile I've always wanted to try a community tank with running water. I will someday.

if possible, I would suggest adding more substrate. Emps love to burrow, and should be allowed to do so in captivity. a good 4 - 5" should suffice. apart from that, it looks really cool. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705
Registration date : 2008-02-06

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty2/6/2009, 3:13 pm

It looks great. But a bit deeper and compact it down so when they burrow it doesnt fall down on them and then you can sprinkle a loose layer on top Smile

It looks wonderful though
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty2/6/2009, 4:16 pm

cant see much wrong with it, only the heat mat underneath, that must be on the side or the emps will cook when they burrow towards it. that is a lovely tank! you must be one of the rare few people who dont listen to the pet shop! i can see you have done some research.
i am going to make something like this when i get a free tank and i may have to steal a few of your ideas.
welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Marco
Pandinus
Marco

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-01-21

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty2/6/2009, 5:15 pm

Looks great!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty2/6/2009, 6:03 pm

yeah heat mat on the side or you will end up with water coming out of the cracks on the glass!

liking the waterfall idea. I couldn't afford the pump thing with the false bottom enclosure i have put together, but with good ventilation it seems to be soaking up and evaporating off fine.

I think all the tips have been covered especially with the substrate. looking forward to when the new home owners move in.

fantastic looking enclosure Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New tank setup Empty
PostSubject: Re: New tank setup   New tank setup Empty

Back to top Go down

New tank setup
Page 1 of 1