The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Stupid question of the day!

Go down 
+6
_scorpio_
Kejser
Andrew273
Venom
scorpion111
ThomasH
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ThomasH
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-17

Stupid question of the day! Empty
PostSubject: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 6:28 pm

Sorry, I'm such a newbie. But how long, exactly do scorpions live? Particularly Centruroides, Babycurus and Uroctonus? Have we even been keeping cb scorpions in captivity long enough to know?
Thanks,
Thomas
Also..... Scorpions don't happen to grow legs back, do they? I don't know why it took this long but just today I notice that my U. mordax is missing two leg segments on different legs.

Last edited by ThomasH on 11/29/2008, 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 6:31 pm

buthidae scorpions have the shortest life spans of the scorpion world, I belive they range from something like 3-6 years. some scorpions can live 10+ years, perticularly hadogens species.
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 6:34 pm

scorpion111 wrote:
buthidae scorpions have the shortest life spans of the scorpion world, I belive they range from something like 3-6 years. some scorpions can live 10+ years, perticularly hadogens species.
Thank you.
That's a bummer! Buthids are my favorites.
TBH
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 6:36 pm

well, it all depends on the conditions. but it's still worth it, that's a long time for an invert.

that's another reason why people breed them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Venom
Centruroides suffusus
Venom

Number of posts : 2834
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 6:42 pm

At least they're not Mantids where they live months.
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:22 pm

Venom wrote:
At least they're not Mantids where they live months.
I know. They are terrible! They are such beautiful and amazing hunters too....... For a few months! I love mantids but they aren't worth it.
TBH
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

Number of posts : 503
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:23 pm

For your other question. Scorpions will regrow legs if they lost them while they were young. If yours are adults then no, they won't. It's not a problem, I have two scorpions missing half their leg. I even had one missing a stinger.

There are no stupid scorpion questions. Even if we heard it a thousand times that's the questions we were asking years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://www.freewebs.com/andrew273
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:25 pm

scorpion111 wrote:
well, it all depends on the conditions. but it's still worth it, that's a long time for an invert.

that's another reason why people breed them. Smile
I can't wait to try to pimp off my male jacksoni to a few ladies! A few months...... Very Happy
TBH
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:29 pm

Andrew273 wrote:
For your other question. Scorpions will regrow legs if they lost them while they were young. If yours are adults then no, they won't. It's not a problem, I have two scorpions missing half their leg. I even had one missing a stinger.
Oh, Okay. Mine is an adult. He is only missing a little bit on both legs. He still limps with the parts left.

Just curious, what species of yours was missing a stinger? Did it affected the feeding response?
TBH
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:36 pm

The missing stinger was a P imperator. It was only missing the aculeus. He ate just fine, fought with his tank mates just fine. He even tried to sting me on occasion. The missing legs were another P imperator, full adult and a L quinquestriatus, full adult.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:37 pm

Andrew273 wrote:

There are no stupid scorpion questions. Even if we heard it a thousand times that's the questions we were asking years ago.

Dude i have never heard of a scorpion regrowing anything, and my mate wich have keept scorps for 6 years never seen it or heard about it, Even Jan Ove rien dont belive in this.. i highly doubt you can find any proof of this ever happening..
Back to top Go down
Andrew273
Tityus
Andrew273

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:48 pm

I've never seen it either. I'm just going by what I was told. So if say a 2i lost a leg, it would never grow back?

See, no stupid questions. I have 25+ scorps right now and still know pretty much nothing.
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:50 pm

Nope it wont.. scorps dont have the same magic regrowth like Ts sadely.. one chould do some experiments on it but i doubt it will show up anything and it will proably cost you some scorps too. But i tend to belive more in my mates 6 years of experiance, sadely some ppl on orther forums belive this regrowth is true and will support it with what ever they can think of, mostly only they own experiance but dont have any real proof of it..
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:52 pm

that kinda sucks, I've got a few young 'uns who have lost legs.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:57 pm

well they can function without the odd leg cant they? im sure they wouldnt be to efected
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 7:59 pm

I guess, but I've got one who only 5 legs.
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/29/2008, 9:56 pm

there are no stupid questions, only the ones not asked Smile
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty11/30/2008, 1:19 am

As has been covered, no, scorps can't regenerate body parts.

As far as lifespans, some scorps' are as short as a couple years, while some range up to over 20 years (very few species -- mostly restricted to the flatrocks (Hadogenes spp.)).

Regarding your U. mordax, their lifespan is reported at 4-6 years.
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty12/1/2008, 5:36 pm

Thanks all. I hope to breed that mordax later. Nice to know it is all good.
TBH
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty12/2/2008, 2:34 am

Thomas, if you're interested in breeding U. mordax, check out my >breeding report< for that species.

I last checked on my 10 remaining young from that brood about a week ago; eight of the 10 had molted to third instar, one was fat and getting close, and the tenth was still pretty skinny.
Back to top Go down
electrophyste
Babycurus
electrophyste

Number of posts : 357
Registration date : 2008-05-09

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty12/2/2008, 2:50 pm

I have an M.Martenssi missing leg segmants and the only thing that i see wrong is the rappid movment that the leg does, she moves it faster then the others.
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty12/2/2008, 7:11 pm

Mr. Mordax wrote:
As has been covered, no, scorps can't regenerate body parts.

As I have said before...some scorps can but the regenerations is very minimal
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty12/2/2008, 7:22 pm

Mostly it's just the tarsal hooks, isn't it? Like a little gimp-tarsus at the end of the leg?
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty12/2/2008, 7:29 pm

Thats one example I've seen more I just don't recall where. But still it's probably to minimal to even mention just some useful info I guess.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stupid question of the day!   Stupid question of the day! Empty

Back to top Go down

Stupid question of the day!
Page 1 of 1