The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

Diplocentrus due in a few hours!

Go down 
+4
_scorpio_
scorpion111
Mr. Mordax
LadyRiotControl
8 posters
AuthorMessage
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

Number of posts : 2631
Registration date : 2008-07-12

Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty
PostSubject: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/9/2008, 7:02 pm

WHOOP! Cant wait to get them... once again like a kid knowing her favorite toys are on the way!

Pictures to follow!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 8:22 am

They are spitzeri. On the web photo they looked very yellow, now i have them they are the right colour for spitzeri.

i think I have 2f / 2m. Can anyone give me any sexing info so i can be sure
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 9:25 am

here's one of them

Diplocentrus due in a few hours! DSCF4222

Diplocentrus due in a few hours! DSCF4224
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 9:28 am

Yep, reminds me of good ol' Uroctonus. Very Happy

Get a shot of the pectines and we can compare. The one that you can see a peek of looks male.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 10:10 am

Well all the pectines are visual from above on all 4 specimens. Two have long and deep pectines, the other two are slightly thinner, so im pretty certain i have 2 of each sex. I have clear plastic tub at the ready so im going to press them down using tissue and turn the tub over... beats waiting for them to go up the side of their enclosures!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 10:37 am

That's exactly how I got my new Uroctonus sexing shots. Smile
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 11:15 am

awsome lisa! if it is two males and two females you could breed well. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 11:27 am

One of the poss females is looking chunky compared to the rest so will keep an eye on that one in particular.
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 11:29 am

your going to be overrun by scorps soon... better start getting some reservations for 'em
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 11:43 am

hehehe never count ya chickens until the eggs have hatched! But I have a hell of a lot of interest in whatever i breed so apart from the first few months of mass feeding they should all go pretty quickly!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 1:15 pm

ok here we go, and 3 of them look like they have some sort of mite infestation... any ideas on how to get rid of this??? I've never come across these mites before.

D.Spitzeri 1:
Diplocentrus due in a few hours! DS1

D.Spitzeri 2:
Diplocentrus due in a few hours! DS2

D.Spitzeri 3:
Diplocentrus due in a few hours! DS3

D.Spitzeri 4:
Diplocentrus due in a few hours! DS4
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 1:44 pm

D. spitzeri 1= 30 pectinical teeth
D. spitzeri 2= 30 pectinical teeth
D. spitzeri 3= 30 pectinical teeth
D. spitzeri 4= 30 pectinical teeth

all same...
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 1:53 pm

Thats what i thought at first but two have slightly bigger and wider bodies. Whereas the other two are physically smaller framed, not by much but its noticeable.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 3:31 pm

I count 15-15-15-14 (I think you're supposed to count one wing's worth, Jordan).

My guess is all male -- though numbers 3 and 4 look slightly more male. My guess is based on the counts being so close and the fact that the teeth come so close to meeting. In female's I'd expect there to be a larger gap between the pectines.

Numbers 2 and 4 both have a slight grain mite infestation. It's still small, so you may be able to remove them with a q-tip and a little bit of vaseline. In the meantime change out the substrate of those two in particular and keep them on paper towels with a water dish for a while until the mites improve.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 3:50 pm

Oh bummer! ok 4 males it is. I'll email the guy, he said he will try to get hold of whatever i need. So if he can hold of some females for me then I will put two of the males up for grabs.
Plus if they were collected while the females were gravid I believe its the only time females actually burrow, so the males would be easier to catch than females.

As for the stowaways... never done this before... how the chuff do you hold the scorpion to get the Q-tip onto the mites??? Im guessing its fiddly!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 5:28 pm

I've never seen anyone do it with smaller scorps like that, so I'm not sure. scratch

If you're lucky it will play dead long enough for you to get some off -- if not, just try the dry paper towels for a while and see how things improve.
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/10/2008, 5:33 pm

okies! will try tomorrow. Oh man this is gunna be fun!
Back to top Go down
*Connie*
Post-whore
*Connie*

Number of posts : 3705

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/11/2008, 9:41 am

I hope you manage to remove the mites. Lovely looking new scorpions you have!
xxxx
Back to top Go down
http://healingfromwithin.heavenforum.com/index.htm
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/11/2008, 5:26 pm

well it was fiddly as hell but i managed to give the three infected scorps a wipe down with vaselene and a q-tip.

I got some kitchen roll, put the scorp in the middle and folded the paper towel over it, turned it so it was upside down holding the bottom half of the scorp. Pulled the kitchen roll back enough to show the upper half of the body and gave them a wipe.

Worked pretty well actually. AND....

Like decorating a kids bedroom... they have spongebob squarepants kitchen roll in the bottom of their enclosures hehehehehe! Laughing What a Face Laughing
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/11/2008, 5:30 pm

spongebob!
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/11/2008, 5:38 pm

what?!?!?!?!?!?! Smile
Back to top Go down
Casteaux
Pandinus
Casteaux

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2008-09-12

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/12/2008, 5:05 pm

Hi there LadyRiotControl, I had some emps with some irritating mites... i was advised to get some "preditory mite (Hypoasis) and pop them in the tank! well they certainly got rid of the original mites ... but there were so many that they themselves became a problem and maybe i should have put little more than 5mls worth instead of the whole tub as per instructions... but to get around the mite problem i let them have a run on a chunky knit towel which was damp and cleaned off their underside, whilst spraying them gently with a warm atomiser to flush of the top, into some new substrate and sorted..well until the fungal or injury anyway.. I've posted a relative thread if anyone can help with that one?

Ta Much
Back to top Go down
LadyRiotControl
Leiurus
LadyRiotControl

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/12/2008, 5:10 pm

ok pred mite's duely noted. cheers for the info.

Im going to leave them for a week at the moment, they have been through a lot with travelling in the post, rehoming, de-miting and re-homed again. Dont want to stress them out too much!

Will check on the mites in a week and try the piece of towel if necessary.

ta hun Smile
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/12/2008, 6:41 pm

Predetory mites aren't a problem usually you can avoid having them in the tank. Just clean the substrate out and all should be good.
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
corpselight
Babycurus

Number of posts : 251
Registration date : 2008-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty9/19/2008, 9:32 am

those are nice scorpions Lisa...i may look into some as well! they did look yellow in pics i saw, but the colouring of yours (and spitzeri on The Scorpion Files site) is quite attractive!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Diplocentrus due in a few hours!   Diplocentrus due in a few hours! Empty

Back to top Go down

Diplocentrus due in a few hours!
Page 1 of 1