The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Web's Only Official All-Scorpion Forum!

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
ChatBox

give us a hand here

Go down 
+8
skinheaddave
~Abyss~
bjaeger
scorpion111
_scorpio_
nymphetaminion
Kejser
lycanlord
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

Number of posts : 2916
Registration date : 2008-06-03

give us a hand here Empty
PostSubject: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 7:16 am

give us a hand here Dscf0010

ok so i originally thought this was probably
B.Jacksoni, but apparently the guy who found it, got it on his travels to asia, if this is true it cant be B.Jacksoni
so i was wondering if you guys had any ideas
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

Number of posts : 1373
Registration date : 2008-02-06

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 9:05 am

Hmm need some better and clear pictures..
Back to top Go down
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 9:07 am

To me it still looks like a dirty B jack..but im probly wrong...picture isnt the best either
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 9:33 am

i know but they aint giving any more pictures unfortunately
Back to top Go down
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 9:42 am

nymphetaminion wrote:
To me it still looks like a dirty B jack..but im probly wrong...picture isnt the best either

Look at the Metasoma it cant be a B.jacksoni.. and if he found it in asia ? it really really cant be a B.jacksoni

If we got a more specific location it whould help alot.. it looks like a hottentotta sp. but it chould easily but alot orthers.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
_scorpio_
Androctonus
_scorpio_

Number of posts : 1827
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 10:18 am

the guy who has got it is from England so should he have it?
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 10:30 am

oh jordan apparently the guy who got it orks for a zoo so they have it, the guy that posted is his friend apparently they dont knw what it is, but it still seems suspicious to me, i wouldnt be surprised if it was not found in asia at all.

But if he was just a keeper he wouldnt be allowed it without a DWA im sure of that lol
Back to top Go down
scorpion111
Post-whore
scorpion111

Number of posts : 3455
Registration date : 2008-04-07

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 11:35 am

awww. can't see the pic.
Back to top Go down
bjaeger
Leiurus
bjaeger

Number of posts : 2282
Registration date : 2008-04-29

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 12:01 pm

Doesn't really look like a B. jacksoni to me. From what I can see, it doesn't have a subaculear tooth/tubercule on it's telson.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/brandonjaeger
nymphetaminion
Tityus
nymphetaminion

Number of posts : 668

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 12:06 pm

Kejser wrote:
nymphetaminion wrote:

Look at the Metasoma it cant be a B.jacksoni.. and if he found it in asia ? it really really cant be a B.jacksoni

If we got a more specific location it whould help alot.. it looks like a hottentotta sp. but it chould easily but alot orthers.. Very Happy

i know it can't be B jack...it just looks like one from the colours...it could be lots of things...the pics aren't the best!
Back to top Go down
~Abyss~
Administrator
~Abyss~

Number of posts : 6472
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 1:41 pm

Definatly NOT b.jack...but its hard to tell without a better picture. If I had to guess....hottentota species?
Back to top Go down
https://scorpionforum.darkbb.com
Kejser
Administrator
Kejser

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 3:09 pm

~Abyss~ wrote:
Definatly NOT b.jack...but its hard to tell without a better picture. If I had to guess....hottentota species?

Just what iam thinking mate, that metasoma looks really Hottentotta like.. but what sp it is..?? its hard to tell Very Happy
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty9/3/2008, 4:32 pm

ok well he was studying King Cobras so that doesnt relly help too much they have a pretty big range from south-eastern Asia and into India,
but i think most people go to india to study King Cobras so that sort of narrows it down a little
Back to top Go down
skinheaddave
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty10/24/2008, 7:11 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say Androctonus based on that picture. Obviously a better picture will give us a better chance.

Cheers,
Dave
Back to top Go down
lycanlord
Leiurus
lycanlord

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty10/24/2008, 7:22 pm

i dont think it is mate, this scorp was found in india i think and i can only think of one species of Androctonus in india and that A.finitimus, i think there may be a few mor Androctonus species in india but i cant remember
Back to top Go down
skinheaddave
Pandinus

Number of posts : 12

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty10/24/2008, 8:02 pm

How's your French? I have Lourenco's paper describing Androctonus maelfaiti from India. About the only thing that applies to your picture is that it is a "reddish-brown" species. Obviously you'll need to post better pictures if I am to evaluate it. Alternately, I could send you the paper if you can read French and assuming you still have the specimen in-hand.

Alternately, we could approach it in a purely down-to-genus type fashion. Do you have a copy of Polis (1990) and a scope? The keys in there are a bit out of date but at least Buthidae as a family has remained more or less consistent and the genera can still be sorted out fairly well with the key barring a couple small grey areas.

Anyhow, my take is likely Androctonus based on the heavy sculpturing of the metasoma. Hottentotta, Mesobuthus etc. can have fairly heavily granulated carinae, but they generally seem to lack the truly sculptured, fat-tailed look of Androctonus. Once again, this is just a hunch -- really do need better pics.

Cheers,
Dave
Back to top Go down
Mr. Mordax
Administrator
Mr. Mordax

Number of posts : 7743

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty10/25/2008, 11:57 am

^^Listen to this guy, Graham. He really knows his stuff.
Back to top Go down
Athlon2k2
Tityus
Athlon2k2

Number of posts : 619

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty10/25/2008, 4:11 pm

I can't see th picture very well on my phone but it doesn't look androctonus to me.
Back to top Go down
ThomasH
Pandinus

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2008-11-17

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty11/17/2008, 8:00 pm

lycanlord19 wrote:
ok well he was studying King Cobras so that doesnt relly help too much they have a pretty big range from south-eastern Asia and into India,
but i think most people go to india to study King Cobras so that sort of narrows it down a little

As a member of the venomous herp community I must honestly say that your statement is blatantly untrue. Ask him. Most of the King Cobra collection and population is in Malaysia and the Phillipenes, not too common in India. I can't gurantee where in the natural range he was. There are so many possible areas and no country of the range has, say 50%/plus of collection/studying.
TBH
Back to top Go down
TELOW
Centruroides
TELOW

Number of posts : 205
Registration date : 2008-12-17

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty12/17/2008, 9:28 pm

looks like a hottentotta to me !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: give us a hand here   give us a hand here Empty

Back to top Go down

give us a hand here
Page 1 of 1